CBS Host Scolds Trump’s ‘Rocket Man’ Nickname for ‘President of North Korea’

CBS host Gayle King referred to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un as the “President of North Korea” during a question Wednesday wondering if it was appropriate for President Donald Trump to call him “Rocket Man.”

Trump coined the term for North Korea’s young despot in a tweet over the weekend and called him by the phrase again during his speech Tuesday to the United Nations General Assembly.

U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley appeared on “CBS This Morning” to discuss the speech and North Korea’s illicit nuclear ambitions.

“Ambassador, did you know that the president was going to refer to Kim Jong Un, the President of North Korea, as Rocket Man, and if so, do you think that kind of language and that kind of mocking is helpful?” King asked. “But first, did you know he was going to use that terminology?”

Haley said she was aware that morning Trump would use that term in the speech.

“I will tell you, just to let you know what this does, I had a meeting with the President of Uganda the day before, and he was referring to Kim as Rocket Man, before the president even gave his speech,” Haley said.

Kim Jong Un is North Korea’s Supreme Leader and took over after the death of his dictator father, Kim Jong-il, in 2011. He has reportedly ordered the execution of family members to consolidate power, and, like his father, he presides with absolute authority and has an elaborate cult of personality.

His regime has been sanctioned for human rights abuses and for its continued pursuit of an expansive nuclear program.

Trump told the U.N. Tuesday that the U.S. would be forced to “destroy North Korea” if forced to defend itself or its allies.

“No nation on earth has an interest in seeing this band of criminals arm itself with nuclear weapons and missiles,” Trump said. “The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea. Rocket Man is on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime.”

Trump’s statement raised eyebrows among some journalists.

1. Chip

September 21, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Why do these “Holier than Thou” talking heads think that we care what they think? I watch the news to see a non biased reporting of what’s going on in the world. Keep your opinions to yourself and I’ll keep mine!

2. Teresa

September 21, 2017 at 3:35 pm

He can call him anything he chooses. If you do not like his verage, do not listen or read. It sounds like you like North Korea better than U.S.A. Go live THERE and do us all a favor.

3. Leona

September 21, 2017 at 3:39 pm

He could have called him something else and be ridiculed! The web of lies keeps getting larger! It doesn’t matter what they say anymore immune and chalk it up to BS!

4. DOC Holiday

September 21, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Who cares what some journalist say, they are part of our problem! At least, we have a NO NONSENSE PRESIDENT that tells it like it is and not try to buy these people off, like obummer and some of the other presidents HAVE IN THE PAST!

5. judi jj

September 21, 2017 at 3:51 pm

That is what he is Gail….just like you and your obnoxious friend Oprah. Birds of a feather flock together.

• Sandy

September 21, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Judi jj – love your comment. She needs to study more before making her usual dumb remarks.

6. Janene McGuire

September 21, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me. He’s rocket man, he fires rockets and he is a tyrant and killer of millions along with his Dad who is deceased. He is mentally ill and doesn’t understand why anyone would not be in love with him. He is a maniac. Call him whatever you want as I don’t care. He does not deserve my time or attention.

7. flukeZ

September 21, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I like the name Rocket man for Kim Jung un!!!

8. Walter

September 21, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I just call him “little fat kid”!

9. s

September 21, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I see they are trying to change the narrative again as if it is Trump threatening NK. Trump is not the one firing rockets. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???

• JUDY

September 21, 2017 at 4:49 pm

• The Loki

September 21, 2017 at 5:32 pm

You can’t make them understand. They firmly believe, that because N.K. is smaller, that they are harmless. Rocket Man needs to be dealt with sooner, rather than later, and swiftly.
      Once the population on NK realizes Un has been holding them in the dark ages with all the restrictions he has in place, they will be AMAZED, and grateful.

10. Kay Wilson

September 21, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Rocket Man a lot easier to pronounce.

• JUDY

September 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm

AMEN!! NK wants to take the US to total direction and the leader has stated that over and over again. “Rocket Man” is way too mild a way to handle that insanity! He offers NO respect to our country as well as others. Our President has wisdom and I totally trust that this nick-name will not bother that hard-hearted man. And you are right, Kay . . easier to remember and say.

11. Evelyn Martin

September 21, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I agree good name for him. What would these wimps call him? Sweetheart?

12. Lucy Schupp

September 21, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Oh boy, Gayle King is trying to be polite…? Give me a break! Look at her background and history, where she would be if there is not her lover Oprah. I’m still questioning why CBS hired her?? She is a racist and hypocrite, and therefore I stopped watching CBS.

13. Bernardo Vellon

September 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm

And the shit show of a circus called the Trump Presidency continues and it needs to end and sooner rather than later.

14. Pingback: CBS Host Scolds Trump’s ‘Rocket Man’ Nickname for ‘President of North Korea’ – Conservative Politics

15. paulette

September 21, 2017 at 4:37 pm

BE QUITE GAYLE,YOU’D STILL BE ALITTLE NOBODY IF IT WASTN’T FOR YOUR ILLUMINATI FRIENDS,OPRAH AND DR PHIL.ACTUALLY YOUR STILL A NOBODY TO ME AND SO ARE THEY

16. Rita

September 21, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Love Kay’s comment! “Rocket Man” is leaving us no choice!

17. Lupe

September 21, 2017 at 5:39 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kim Jong Un like being referred as “The Rocket Man”. He reminds me of a child trying to get attention.

18. Harry Brown

September 21, 2017 at 5:53 pm

she a black bitch… what you thought she was going to agree with trump… fuck her

19. LKF

September 21, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Is Gayle King known for her intellect or for being just another left wing wench?

20. Lauri blackwood

September 21, 2017 at 6:57 pm

They really would of had a problem if he (trump) called him “Rocket Boy”. Get a life and start talking about something relevant!!! Trogladites!!!!!

21. Barbara Wilson

September 21, 2017 at 7:23 pm

First, Charlie needs to educate you on the difference between an elected President and a dictator….and then perhaps you could go back over the news commenting on the missiles being fired by NK……and again, in the President’s speech he says we will have to DEFEND ourselves or our Allies…you know what the means. American will PROTECT ourself and our friends……..I know that is hard for you to grasp but it’s called INTEGRITY. I love it!

22. Sylvia

September 21, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Why r u blocking my texts I’m not saying anything that is not true in my opinion or for that matter derogatory so can u explain to me why r u not posting my comments

• Sylvia

September 21, 2017 at 8:23 pm

U still haven’t given me a answer what’s wrong with my comments plse tell me

23. Rich

September 22, 2017 at 4:36 pm

who you going to call when that little jagoff ships one toward your house, fatass opie good luck