Columnist: Arming Teachers Will Lead Them to Murder Black Students

Elie Mystal, a lawyer, Harvard graduate, and editor at the popular “Above the Law” legal blog, has written a column suggesting that proposals to arm teachers in public schools will lead to black students being murdered.

In his post, “You Realize Arming Teachers Is Going To Lead To Black Students Getting Murdered By Their Teacher, Right?” Mystal not only dismisses the idea of arming teachers as an ineffective way to prevent mass shootings, but also argues that the inherent racial prejudices of teachers will lead to tragic results:

[T]here’s one more problem that I’m sure most white people haven’t thought about yet: arming American teachers will directly result in students of color being shot to death at school.

I know that because the only other group of public employees that is armed at the behest of the state shoots unarmed people of color on the reg. The cops actually receive extensive training on how to use their firearms, how to asses threats, and how to deescalate situations, and yet they still murder innocent civilians all the time.

Giving a teacher a gun is ASKING them to be afraid. It makes poor judgment a homicidal offense. And that danger will be borne by black and brown students. The students who make teachers “afraid” just by their very existence.

America is entirely too racist to arm teachers. Our legal system is INCAPABLE of holding public employees to account for murdering minorities. Black and brown students should not have to die because disgruntled white boys are shooting up their schools.

In the wake of last week’s shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, President Donald Trump has supported proposals to arm teachers who receive proper training and qualify for concealed carry permits.

1. Aaron J Fulton

February 23, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Bullshit

2. LAURYNE M HAYNES

February 23, 2018 at 6:23 pm

And probably thinks nothing of the hundreds of black babies who are murdered by Planned Parenthood everyday!

• Steve Ruble

February 23, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Teachers killing Black students…what a racist reply!

• paulette

February 23, 2018 at 10:00 pm

@LAURYNE,AMEN TO THAT

3. Carole Worland

February 23, 2018 at 6:29 pm

3 words. Complete bull shit. Maybe if teachers are armed, students will think twice about acting inappropriately at school regardless of their race. I am sure that they would think twice before attacking an armed teacher (which happens more often than people like to admit).If I were a student I would feel safer knowing that there are people who could help protect me if something happened. They should also hire school police as well.

4. Sal belardo

February 23, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Blacks killing blacks in Chicago by the hundreds each year! Doesn’t matter! Sooner or later there will be no blacks left in Chicago! But no one seems to care!Teachers will now kill blacks in schools! My God how stupid can some people be! And again I say stupid people just don’t know that they are stupid!

5. Sal belardo

February 23, 2018 at 6:48 pm

So arm only Black teachers! Black teachers aren’t racists are they?

6. Charlotte k Poirier

February 23, 2018 at 7:03 pm

THIS NOT TRUE , POPAGANDA . ALL WE WHAT IS SAFETY IN OUR SCHOOLS …
    WHITE , BLACK , BROWN IF THEY ARE TRYING TO KILL,THEY SHOULD BE KILLED .

7. Kathleen Gordonou

February 23, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Wow I don’t know where the people come from that come up with this paranoia! I live in the south and there are very few white teachers. I guess I could start thinking that arming black teachers will kill only white students. Can people get any dumber???

8. paulette

February 23, 2018 at 9:57 pm

WOW,WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP,WHY DO THEY ALWAYS MAKE IT ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE,I HAVE NEVER BEEN RACIST BUT IM TRUELY SICK OF THIS CRAP,EVERYTHING IS NOT ABOUT SOMEBODY WANTING TO KILL A BLACK PERSON,FRICKEN GROW UP

9. paulette

February 23, 2018 at 10:04 pm

THIS JERK DOESNT EVEN UNDERSTAND IT WONT BE ALL TEACHERS,JUST SOME AND THEY WILL GO THROUGH EXTENSIVE TRAINING,THIS PERSON IS IGNORANT AND A RACEIST THEMSELF

10. Debby

February 23, 2018 at 10:45 pm

Profile much, do you Elie Mystal? From my dealings with the schools my children go to, the majority of teachers, now a days are black. So you must assume that only black people shoot black people.

11. Marilyn Hollenbeck

February 23, 2018 at 11:26 pm

I never heard of anything more ludicrous than this inflammatory reverse racist statement.
    I happen to be a white teacher that teaches in the inner city and certainly do not carry any
    prejudice. It is the very racial card YOU play that makes me say, no I’d rather not carry the
    gun. Our students are the most precious resource in America, if they have armed guards at government offices federal and state, court rooms, etc. I think the priority to protect the educational system is currently a low priority and just should not be. And who ever wrote this statement about dedicated white teachers SHAME ON YOU when I would give my life to protect any and all of my minority students!