Doctor Won Lawsuit Against Trump for Blocking Him on Twitter — But Now He’s Lost His Job

Dr. Eugene Gu, who sued President Donald Trump for blocking him on Twitter, had his five-year residency at Vanderbilt University cut short after three years.

According to The Tennessean, the university decided not to renew Gu’s residency in a move he equates to being fired.

“If you don’t complete all five years of your general surgery residency, you don’t get credit for partial completion or anything like that. It’s just like not doing residency at all,” Gu explained to The Hill.

While the university told The Tennessean that the decision had nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with his work performance and professionalism, Gu isn’t convinced.

Gu said the “take-home message” is that there’s an “unwritten rule,” which is that residents are supposed to make the program and hospital look good even if that means staying silent.

“But as an Asian-American physician, unlike a white doctor, I don’t always have the same luxury to stay silent,” he said.

After repeatedly criticizing Trump on social media, the president blocked Gu. But along with six others, he sued Trump and won.

“When we first filed a lawsuit to defend our First Amendment rights, a big segment of the general public was almost mocking us, saying it was frivolous, and the stupidest lawsuit in the world,” Gu told The Tennessean.

In September 2017, Gu posted a photo on Twitter of him taking a knee “to fight white supremacy.”

He later tweeted about taking a knee and called it “absolutely unconscionable for Vanderbilt to fire me for peacefully protesting against racism.”

John Howser, a spokesperson for the hospital, refuted Gu’s claims and said it’s “simply untrue” that his political or social views affected his employment.

1. paulette

June 14, 2018 at 2:20 am

HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT,YOU ATTACK TRUMP,YOUR DONE,WHITE SUPREMACY AND RACISM,STUPID ASSHAT,WOULD NEVER WANT THIS RACIST POS AS MY DR

2. Catalina

June 14, 2018 at 2:23 am

Good, glad he was fired. Also just to remind everyone,if Secret Service deems you are a threat, they have every right to block. Do you really think Pres. Trump goes through every tweet he receives? No Secret Service does.

3. Bobbi Henderson

June 14, 2018 at 2:32 am

If you are harassing the President or anyone else I think they should be allowed to block you!
    Everyone else is allowed to do so. This just seems like another thing to try and annoy the President. Distract the public from the important things. Why is the good Doctor creating conflict with the president in the first place?

4. Debby

June 14, 2018 at 2:45 am

If I was Trump, I would take that decision to a Higher Court. Being a President don’t mean you give up your rights as a citizen. And I, as a citizen, have a right to block anyone I want to from my tweeter or my facebook.

5. Loni S

June 14, 2018 at 2:54 am

One always has the “luxury” to stay silent. So he takes a knee like the black football players? He’s a jackass.

P.S. I’m Asian-American.

6. Ostlander

June 15, 2018 at 8:01 pm

G’driddance to Gu.

7. Michi Henley

June 17, 2018 at 1:21 am

This has nothing to do whether you are WHITE OR ASIAN. It has everything to do with being an AMERICAN. I have the right to block or delete anyone I want from my Tweeter or Facebook. You are a total idiot GU. I happen to be ASIAN but first and foremost AMERICAN FIRST

8. Mary

June 20, 2018 at 8:19 pm

ts very sad to see the state of what are country is be coming. People forget that we are stronger together as a country , then fighting against each other, with this great divide . Dem’s only obstruct and resist. Can’t we follow our founding fathers and our great Constitution and come together as one nation under god? The DEEP STATE is in all parts of our country and our Government, including the House and Senate , just look at what they do and say. Unwilling to take up Immigration , but cause it doesn’t fit into their agenda. All they care about is getting our President Out of Office at all cost period.