ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt Attacks Viewers for Boycotting the Network Over NFL Protests

ESPN host Scott Van Pelt recently said the claims that ESPN’s “SportsCenter” is ending due to fans boycotting the networks are false.

He appeared on Jimmy Traina’s “Off The Board,” saying that the network is doing pretty well.

However, some numbers show ESPN’s “Sunday NFL Countdown” rating was down 20%, and the “Fantasy Football Now” was down 15%.

Also, ESPN lost nearly 480,000 subscribers in October.

Pelt slammed those attacking ESPN on social media.

“This make-believe world where everyone talks s— … this s—-talking, poke-you-in-the-chest virtual, whatever, it’s just there’s nothing more chickens— than that,” Pelt stated.

Pelt pointed out that if ESPN was hated so much as cyber trolls try to present, he would’ve known by now.

“If that’s how people really felt, somewhere along the line, I would’ve intersected with someone that felt that way and came up and said, ‘Hey, I think your show sucks. I think ESPN sucks and I think you guys are doomed.’ Never. Not once,” he said.

“I understand why people just wanna be negative because that’s the world. And it’s only in this make-believe space on the internet. Not once in my whole life has anybody come up to me in an airport or at a game or at a bar or at a grocery store or at a restaurant or anywhere on earth, not once, and said to me, ‘ESPN sucks, you suck, your show sucks. I can’t stand you.’ Not one time. Never,” he said.

Even though ESPN hears about people saying they will cancel the network, Pelt said only a few actually do that the rest is only an empty talk.

“If you truly wanna boycott the NFL and you wanna boycott ESPN, the notion that some guy sitting out there, or gal, and they decide, ‘You know what, I’m gonna cut my entire cable package because ESPN gave an award on a made-up show in July because there’s no sports, to a woman who used to be a man, so I’m now not gonna have any cable TV at all and I’m gonna sit around at night and read books by candlelight like olden times because of that.’”

“That’s not happening,” he said.

Adding that anyone who decides to cancel ESPN for that reason is not a loss at all.

“And if you did that, then you’re so dumb that I can’t even pray for you because you’re beyond hope. If that was your reaction to this, was to deny yourself the ability to watch television, I mean that just hasn’t happened and didn’t happen, so I boycott them,” he stated.

Pelt stated that he is attempting to clarify that ESPN is financially fine, but only few care to listen to the facts.

“I would try to educate people, but it’s pointless to educate people who don’t care to be educated. I guess people believe that we’re hemorrhaging money when that’s not the case,” he stated.

“There’s no one in this space that is just hiring on gobs more people and aren’t trying to figure out what to do. What’s the old cliche? The wind blows hardest at the top of the mountain?” he stated. “That’s where we are. That’s what you’re going to get.”

The battle to survive today is not so easy, he added, but he sees the proof every day that ESPN is well and alive.

“Define ‘dead’ for me. It’s crazy. I got a nice little deal here and it’s amazing, every couple of weeks the direct deposit is right there and I’m thankful and that’s going to continue, so define ‘dead’ for me.”

“Decisions to be made and difficult obstacles to overcome and no smart person would refute that, but again, when you say ‘dead and doomed and it’s over,’ that’s just patently false,” he said.

Please share this post on Facebook with your thoughts.

What is your opinion on this? Scroll down to comment below!

1. brian MCMILLAN

November 20, 2017 at 6:36 am

It’s not make believe, Scott, when they cancel ESPN, that’s real!.

2. Dean Cartwright

November 20, 2017 at 6:43 am

Looks like ESPN does not care if they are trying to loose business. Everyone is dumb but them. I am dumb! Glad to be. Now for MHO, ‘ESPN sucks, you suck, your show sucks. I can’t stand you.’ Well I’m glad to get that off my chest. Dumb as I am!!!

3. Trish

November 20, 2017 at 6:53 am

Still in the bubble – still think they are all that and a bag of chips, still don’t realize who really writes their paychecks…RIP NFL and ESPN – it’s not that your show was good or bad – you have no ethics – no morals and basically, no viewers – cheer up it’s NBA season, maybe things will improve – or not, whatever…

4. Mark Maltaverne

November 20, 2017 at 6:55 am

This asshat must think there is nothing else to watch on TV. I have never watched either show for more than a few seconds.His biassed opinion was never worth hearing anyway.

5. Diana

November 20, 2017 at 7:28 am

Nice tantrum but I’m still not watching!

6. M walker

November 20, 2017 at 8:53 am

These guys don’t live in the real world everything and everyone is replaceable and I will pray for you svp because your show does suck period,!

7. Don France

November 20, 2017 at 10:32 am

If you were doing so well there would be no need to lie about your finances. You may still be making money just not as much. I don’t hate ESPN I hate the losers disrespecting our country. Your business is suffering because of them. Losing subscribers is real..

8. CebVa

November 20, 2017 at 2:57 pm

He’s whistling past the graveyard.

9. Thomas

November 20, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Here I’ll say it. ESPN sucks! you suck! the Protest sucks! and you have racist announcers that you work with! And guess what, I’m protesting the protest. Oh, one more thing you are an idiot!

10. Paul

November 21, 2017 at 2:23 am

maybe nobody approached you is because you arent as popular as you think and they didnt recognize you

11. Mike

November 21, 2017 at 4:35 am

Send me a phone number that you can be reached at and I’ll say those exact words to you. ESPN sucks, the network became too political, you honor as heros the worst of society; criminals, thugs, rich & spoiled babies that I wouldn’t have as a role model to my children. They’re placed on a pedestal as if what they do really matters, when in fact, it’s nothing more than entertainment. You have a bunch of overpaid cry-babies that think that they’re more important than they actually are!
    This kneeling for the National anthym should have been extinguished after the first occurance, with a hefty fine and suspension. This is entirely the wrong venue. Americans, who work hard and are tired at the end of the day, watched sports to relax, to forget about just how difficult life really is for most folks. We don’t need to see grown men, who have multi-million dollar contracts, complain and throw temper-tantrums on national television.

And you, Scott Van Pelt. Don’t you realize who pays your paycheck? If the American people, who you so grately disrespect with your preaching, your talking down to, and minimalizing; You need to be a little more humble and and a lot grateful that you have such an easy and fun job. However, you must also realize that your job is really not that important; if this “show” doesn’t happen, it’s not the end of the world.

I am boycotting all professional sports. I won’t be a part of the unpatriotic movement. However, I have founf a lot more time to play with my children, complete that long list of “honey-do’s” and have actual deep & meaningful conversations. I can live without sports. I’ve found a whole world of meaning and matter by simply turning off the television and tuning in to the things that really matter. I’m part of my family, again.

Thank you for opening my eyes.

12. Dona Cooper

November 23, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I was not allowed to be political while at work!! These football players are on the job when they are on the field, do your job and protest all you want on your own time and not at “work”.