Speaking in a radio interview recorded on Saturday, former sheriff Joe Arpaio declared “I’m not going away” and hinted at a public career move one day after being pardoned by President Donald Trump.

Arpaio also used the interview to hit back at Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for criticizing Trump’s decision to pardon the former sheriff for criminal contempt of court. Arpaio said he was “a little surprised” by McCain’s comments and alleged that McCain was just trying to “make the president look bad.”

Arpaio slammed McCain for casting a decisive vote on a bill to repeal some parts of Obamacare: “Think of that. Think of that and how many people are going to suffer. He should be supporting our president.”

Arpaio was convicted last month for defying a judge’s order to not detain suspected illegal immigrants. He had faced up to six months in prison and possible fines.

Fresh from being pardoned by Trump on Friday, Arpaio was speaking in a recorded interview set to air Sunday night on this reporter’s talk radio program, Aaron Klein Investigative Radio, broadcast on New York’s AM 970 The Answer and NewsTalk 990 AM in Philadelphia.

Asked directly whether he is planning to seek a political position now that he has been pardoned, the 85-year-old Arpaio replied:

You know what, I told my wife I’m not finished. I’ve got a lot of things in mind. Since I left office I’ve been very busy. I’ve got my own office setup. I’m not going away. Why would I go away?

I told my wife when I left office after 24 years with the sheriff’s office, 55 years in law enforcement around the world – I dedicated my whole life to fighting crime and defending our country – I said I’m never going to get involved with politics. That’s what I told her. And then I changed my mind when I saw what was going on. Not just with me, but with the president and with the system.

During the interview, this reporter read to Arpaio a tweet from McCain that was critical of Trump’s pardon.

Arpaio hit back at McCain:

I’m a little surprised at the senator. He did call me after my (election) loss… I’m really shocked that he took that shot at me. I stayed out of his race as a matter of courtesy and he called me after I lost. ‘Anything I can do for you?’ Well, thank Senator. Thanks a lot.

Maybe it’s not just me. He doesn’t like the president so going after me he figures will make the president look bad. But that’s sad. That’s how politicians are. Remember who the deciding vote was on Obamacare. Think of that. Think of that and how many people are going to suffer. He should be supporting our president.

Apraio further responded to frequent Trump critic Jeff Flake, McCain’s fellow Arizona senator, who tweeted of the pardon: “I would have preferred that the President honor the judicial process and let it take its course.”

Arpaio asserted that Flake “is trying to make points with the mayor. And all those other Democrat politicians and all of those activists saying the same thing.”

Arpaio said that he is in debt for millions because of the “sham” case, and is seeking help with the costs through his legal defense fund.

He went on to praise Trump, saying “I would still support him regardless of the pardon.”

“I’m glad he had the guts to do what he did,” he added. “I’m just sad that he has to take some heat from certain media outlets if you know what I mean. But they go after him all of the time. When he does anything they tear him apart. I have never seen anything like this.”

1. mary l Diaz

August 27, 2017 at 9:38 pm

guess Mc can forgot when Nixon pardon him for what im not sure?

2. Vic Bailey

August 27, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Sheriff Joe, Not to worry there a LOT of Patriotic people backing you up 100% John McCain TOOK LIVES you SAVED LIVES, I don’t know how people can’t seem to see the difference. God Bless You and all of your Family. Semper Fi.

• Bill

August 27, 2017 at 9:46 pm

YOU’VE BEEN PARDONED SHERIFF JOE—NOW COMES THE PAYBACK—TEAR ‘EM UP SHERIFF—

• noah jonas

August 27, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Vic Bailey.. You summed it up perfectly. Thank you.

• Rogelio Escobedo

August 27, 2017 at 11:40 pm

IN MY OPINION: RHETORIC-NAME ONE PERSON ARPAIO SAVED. —ARPAIO DID VIOLATE THE LAW. —AND RACIST TRUMP INTERVENE UNJUSTIFIABLY. –I DO NOT WANT TO WISH ARPAIO WRONG-BUT IT IS ABOUT TIME HE RETIRED HIS RACIST ATTITUDE. —HE IS NOW A LOSER. —AND AS FOR TRUMP-THE LOUD MAJORITY WILL REMEMBER THIS PARDON AS A RACIST ACT BY TRUMP! —“NO MORE TRUMP/PENCE IN 2020-NO MORE RACISM!—SEMPER FI!

3. Pendit1

August 27, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I’m more sympathetic to Sheriff Joe and consider him MORE of a ‘Patriot’ than Sen McCain. I’m pleased POTUS pardoned Sheriff Joe!

4. Catalina Woody

August 27, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Yep he is right. McCain is a traitor and GOP if they continue to support him will find themselves with a party. I hear people are going petition to have his military records unsealed to finally see the truth about him. Daddy covered up for him and people have right to know what he is hiding.

• Nick Carter

August 27, 2017 at 10:10 pm

It certainly will be interesting to see his military record. It strikes me as very strange that McCain practices Anti-American policies. I do not understand this man at all. It is as if he wants US enemies to win.

• Rogelio Escobedo

August 27, 2017 at 11:54 pm

IN MY OPINION: MCCAIN IS A REPUBLICAN WITH THE GUTS TO STAND UP TO CHICKEN LITTLE TRUMP. —WHATEVER MACCAIN IS HIDING-IT WILL NOT BE AS BAD AS WHAT TRUMP MIGHT BE HIDING IN HIS INCOME TAX REPORT THAT HE DOES NOT WANT AMERICANS TO SEE. —WHATEVER MACCAIN IS HIDING-THAT IS-IF HE IS HIDING-IT IS NOW MOOT. —BUT ONE PERSON WHO IS NOT HIDING HIS REPUTATION AS BEING A RACIST SHERIFF IS ARPAIO. —LOOK UP HIS POLITICAL RECORD-ACCORDING TO MSNBC-ARPAIO WAS ACCUSED OF VIOLATING THE CIVIL RIGHTS OF LATINOS.—LOOK AT THIS EXCERPT FROM “AROUND THE NATION”-“According to investigators, Arpaio’s office was found to routinely discriminate against Latinos and retaliate against its critics, in violation of both the Constitution and the Civil Rights Act. Thomas Perez, assistant attorney general for the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division, says his investigation also uncovered widespread racial profiling.” —NOW WE HAVE TWO RACIST IN THE OPEN-TRUMP AND ARPAIO.—THE LOUD MAJORITY IN AMERICA WILL REMEMBER THIS RACIST PARDON BY TRUMP IN 2020! —SEMPER FI! FOR MORE INFO ON HOW RACIST ARPAIO TREATED LATINOS-CLICK ON: http://www.npr.org/2011/12/15/143765355/probe-finds-arizona-sheriff-violated-civil-rights

5. Nick Carter

August 27, 2017 at 9:48 pm

The Social Democrats are copying Hitler’s handbook on how to silence opposition: they play the m,an not the ball, causing collateral damage to intimidate others that may oppose them and ruthlessly gunning down those that do. The name Nazis was an acronym from the Hitler’s ” Socialist National” Party. DWR and JFK were open admirers of Hitler. Let the Dems history of association with these thugs be a warning to modern Americans of what is coming if teh Democrats succeed to squash the Republicans.

6. Pingback: EXCLUSIVE – Joe Arpaio Hits Back at John McCain, Declares After Pardon ‘I’m Not Going Away’ – The Conservative Truth

7. ROSE MARIE SANDLIN

August 27, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Where was Mc Cain’s concerns when Obama pardoned a traitor Chelsea Manning ?

8. Rogelio Escobedo

August 27, 2017 at 11:34 pm

IN MY OPINION: RACIST ARPAIO DID VIOLATE THE COURT ORDER NOT TO STOP LATINOS BY RACIAL PROFILING. —RACIST TRUMP DID WRONG IN PARDONING HIM. —BUT TRUMP HAS THE POWER TO PARDON-SO THEREFORE ARPAIO IS FREE TO SCREW UP AGAIN. —TRUMP-IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SELF-PROCLAIMED LAW AND ORDER PRESIDENT IS THE FIRST TO ENABLE VIOLATIONS OF LAW. —THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR AMERICA. —ARPAIO HAS NOTHING ON MCCAIN. —ON THE OTHER HAND-REMEMBER HOW RACIST TRUMP INSULTED SEN. MACCAIN FOR BEING A PRISONER OF WAR? —NOW IS THAT NOT STUPID OF TRUMP TO HAVE DONE THAT? —SEMPER FI! “IMPEACH TRUMP NOW-BEFORE HE DESTROYS AMERICA!”

9. Rita

August 27, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Never trusted McCain, now I know why.

10. noah jonas

August 27, 2017 at 11:40 pm

We do have a right to know if he is hiding something about his stay in the Hanior Hilton. Did he give away military secrets to the Vietcong? I wouldn’t have thought so previously, but now I have my doubts. Why have you turned against us, Mr. McCain? I would have expected this from Obama or the Clintons, but not from a U.S. Senator like yourself.

• david mohan

August 28, 2017 at 1:50 am

LETS SEE IF CNN CAN DIG UP THE DIRT ON MR BACK STABING McCAIN !!!!!