HAPPY DAY: Tim Allen Just Received the BEST News In His Career – “Last Man Standing” Is BACK!

Cable network CMT is reportedly exploring a revival of Tim Allen-starring sitcom Last Man Standing one month after the highly-rated show was cancelled by ABC.

The network is in preliminary discussions with 20th Century Fox TV, the studio behind Last Man Standing, for a possible seventh season, though insiders told the Hollywood Reporter that a deal could be difficult to reach due to the veteran show’s hefty price tag.

ABC cancelled Last Man Standing in May despite the show drawing an average of more than eight million viewers across its sixth season, good enough to make it the network’s second-highest-rated comedy and an impressive feat for a long-running sitcom airing on usually weak Friday nights. The network moved its fantasy series Once Upon a Time and its new Marvel series Inhumans to Friday night this fall instead.

ABC entertainment chief Channing Dungey said last month that the network cancelled the show for business and scheduling reasons, and added that it wanted to turn Friday nights into a destination for sc-fi and fantasy. But fans were quick to accuse the Disney-owned network of cancelling the series for political reasons; the show — which starred Allen as sporting-goods store marketing director Mike Baxter and followed his career and family life with his wife and three daughters — was one of the few conservative-leaning series on television, and Allen is himself politically conservative.

In March, Allen told late-night host Jimmy Kimmel that conservatives in Hollywood need to be “careful” when talking about President Donald Trump, or else risk backlash; the actor attended Trump’s inauguration in January.

A Change.org petition launched shortly after the cancellation had collected 397,000 signatures in one month.

“Last Man Standing stands out in the sea of network television sitcoms. It is a show that appeals to a broad swath of Americans who find very few shows that extol the virtues with which they can identify; namely conservative values,” the petition read. Some social media users also called for viewers to boycott ABC until the show was renewed.

CMT already airs re-runs of Last Man Standing, so it could be a natural fit; the cable network already previously revived one cancelled ABC show, the country music drama Nashville, though a partnership with Hulu. According to Deadline, the studio could move to pick up the options on the actors’ contracts, which reportedly expire in two weeks. Still, the outlet reports the deal is considered a “long shot.”

Allen — who celebrated his 64th birthday on Tuesday — has stand-up dates scheduled in Las Vegas this month and will reprise his role as Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story 4. In May, the actor said in a tweet that he was “stunned and blindsided” by Last Man Standing‘s cancellation.

1. Angela Kazunas

June 15, 2017 at 3:31 pm

My husband and I looked forward every Friday night to his show. We loved it! It was like real life with bonuses of fun, love, and laughter. Hope to see this show come back.

2. Bob Benevides

June 15, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Ahhhh. Central air and all the food you can eat. Good Luck Tim. You’ve been making America laugh for decades. It’s disgraceful what ABC did to you. ABC should be changed to UBC… The Unamerican Broadcasting Company.

3. Patti

June 15, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Glad that CMT is bringing us a great show ! I have been watching it on CMT for a while now. ABC and other networks have been of my radar for years. Welcome Tim !

4. Betty

June 15, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Iam so happy they got there heads out of there asses and put last man standing back on the air …should have never been took off

5. Maria

June 15, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Terrific!!! I hope century fox pick it up its a great show clean and entertaining, we don’t pay any attention to the political reference it the comedy which take the mind off the other garbage on ABC,NBC,etc. The only channel we wAtchison cable 191, 187 rerun of home improvement, last man standing, Reba, golden girls n foxnews on cable, blue blood, NCI

6. Jim

June 15, 2017 at 8:34 pm

I really did not understand what all the fuss was about. Abc canceled Last Man Standing for political reasons. Maybe I’m missing something, they got made at Tim for his political stance on the show. But I thought abc exec., had the right to change the scrip if they did not like the content. Somebody was asleep at the switch. Welcome back Last Man Standing!!!!!!!!!

7. marianne d shaw

June 15, 2017 at 9:32 pm

My son loves watching LAST MAN STANDING…..To him the show is honest and funny…. the best show on tv……no cussing and full of laughs…Keep it coming…Tim and cast….

8. Dawn Davis

June 16, 2017 at 12:52 am

Welcome back Tim Allen and your wonderful cast. Such a refreshing show – as I scroll down the Guide on my TV, all I see is garbage – then I see the reruns of Last Man standing listed and I heave a sigh of relief. A half hour of laughs coming up! Really – it’s a great show!

9. Janice Peroe

June 16, 2017 at 1:36 am

Oh thank God I really did not know what I was going to do….. I will never turn ABC back on again……Keep us up to date.

10. Diane

June 16, 2017 at 3:13 am

Smart network they know a good show!!!

11. harold

June 16, 2017 at 2:09 pm

High ratings and cancelled, doesn’t that seem strange? If ABC wanted to make Friday night Scifi, they could have opened another slot on another night for a highly rated show.

12. Brenda

June 16, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Smart choice. At last a tv show with morals and ethics I can relate to!,!!! A family show I’m not embarassed for my kids to see! Thank you ABC,

13. Cathy Vanderford

June 18, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Look forward to next season! We DVR new shoes so family can watch.. and laugh together!