‘I’m Done’: Trey Gowdy Is Counting Down the Days Until He’s Out of Congress

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) is retiring after his current term in Congress ends, and he can’t seem to get out of Washington, D.C., soon enough.

The former federal prosecutor even revealed during a recent interview with Vice News that he’s counting down the days until he doesn’t have to travel to Capitol Hill anymore.

“I can tell you right now that I have 19 more drive to the airport before this session is over,” Gowdy said. “Nineteen more weeks for the rest of the year that I’m gonna be gone three or four days away from home. Then after that, I’ll be in South Carolina.”

Ultimately, Gowdy, who earned a reputation as a conservative rock star during the Benghazi hearings, told interviewer Michael C. Moynihan that he felt like his time in Congress was a waste because it’s so bogged down by “ineffectiveness.”

The lawmaker said both Republicans and Democrats are convinced “the country will go to Hades in a hand basket if my team doesn’t win.”

“To the extent men judge themselves based on what they do for a living,” he admitted, “I don’t have a lot to show for the last seven years.”

Continue Reading

1. Anita Hasty

April 9, 2018 at 1:38 am

You will greatly missed but we do understand your frustrations. Please pray about running for President

• John R. Pyles III

April 9, 2018 at 1:43 am

Mr. Gowdy will be sorely missed, with him goes alot of honesty and integrity

• Kenneth Coons Sr

April 9, 2018 at 1:48 am

I would vote for you Trey Gowdy!

• James

April 9, 2018 at 3:25 am

Would rather see him on the Supreme Court .

2. Jerry W coley

April 9, 2018 at 1:43 am

I am with you,on this great man.He is the tpye we all need for both party. He will be miss.

3. Sheila

April 9, 2018 at 1:45 am

Mr. Howdy, thank you for your service to our great country. I have always admired your drive for the truth.

4. Elaine Thomas

April 9, 2018 at 1:55 am

We need Howdy now more than EVER. I pray he will reconsider.

5. Sue Terry

April 9, 2018 at 1:56 am

Sir, you are the best ever. We appreciate your service and truthfulness. You confirm what I thought about Congress! May God bless you. Americans like me are grateful for your honesty and love for your country! Hope to hear more about your experiences in DC. Americans need to know…and we need to ACT to force change.

6. Betty Kelley

April 9, 2018 at 1:58 am

I am going to miss you for you are the only one i trust but understand if you have had enough. I have had that kind of job and understand

7. Melussa

April 9, 2018 at 1:58 am

Oh, I can’t belueve your leaving, your my hero. Your about the only one in Wa tharpts honest and gets things done!!! Pls pls stay we will lose if your not ther

8. PJS

April 9, 2018 at 2:00 am

Trey Gowdy loves to talk and talk and talk, but when it comes time for action, he is MIA.

9. bryson johnson

April 9, 2018 at 2:02 am

We always lose the really good ones, if they are as sorry as Schumer, or John lewis, or Governer brown, you couldn’t run them off, they like that public teat, and will stay around to they die. Thats one of the things wrong with America, TERM LIMITS is the only answer. Again Mr. Gowdy would go after either party , if there was wrong doing, and now they have burned him out, with all the crap, one has to put up with in D.C. Thank you Mr. Gowdy for your excellent service for all of America.

• Elizabeth W Mounce

April 9, 2018 at 2:32 am

Mr Gowdy I will miss you as I believe you are the only honest man in D C .

• brian MCMILLAN

April 9, 2018 at 2:38 am

Both governors Brown are bad, Jerry and Kate.

10. Danny

April 9, 2018 at 2:08 am

A great American and I understand his frustration. I am a retired Military Officer. I am so frustrated that I refuse to watch Fox News and only watch One American News , briefly. Mr. Gowdy is a great American and with any blessings from God , AG Sessions will resign and our President will ask Mr. Gowdy to be our AG. We the people are tired. I will pray for Trey and his family and I appreciate his service. Trey would leave no man behind. That includes our ladies also to be PC. God Bless you sir.

11. Lee Magri

April 9, 2018 at 2:13 am

OH NO! HE WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD PLENTY TO SAY IN THE OUT FAVOR!! LOVE HIM!! HE FOUGHT SO HARD FOR US! AND THE ONLY ONE WHO DID AS MUCH AS TRE DID! THANK YOU TRE GOWDY FOR YOUR ENDLESS BATTLE WITH YOUR TRUTHS! LOVE YOU! DON’T THINK YOU DID NOT DO ANYTHING IN YOUR YEARS IN CONGRESS! THE ONLY ONE WHO DID FOR US, WAS YOU!

12. Barbara Ritchie

April 9, 2018 at 2:16 am

Strangely, it seems as though half the GOP are “retiring” or quitting now! WEIRD!

• Rose Howell

April 9, 2018 at 3:29 am

I’m thinking it’s guilt.

• Patricia

April 9, 2018 at 4:09 am

Just not the ones who really need to, sadly.

• Marybeth Hope

April 9, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I so hate to see you go! But honestly I do not know how you have made it this far! You have been unfailing if finding those who are attempting to ruin our government and have seen so little done to punish the guilty! I pray that you find something or someone who appreciates just how good you can be at filtering out the evil that men do! May you find a position that does give you satisfaction!

13. Carolyn Grapes

April 9, 2018 at 2:31 am

President Trump NEEDS more Trey Gowdys!

14. Marcia J Hyer

April 9, 2018 at 2:36 am

Not sure what will happen when you are gone, last man of honesty in the congress. So wanted you to keep fighting for RIGHT. Very sick of liberals and not sure who will lead a honest way to help us who do not know how to fix it all. President Trump has done so much for us. Keep thinking how proud we are of him and You. Sorry you are leaving us.

• Sniper Mom

April 9, 2018 at 3:16 am

We still have Gohmert!

• Patricia

April 9, 2018 at 4:11 am

I wanted you to be our Attorney General so badly!!! I wish that would happened and am still praying for a miracle.

15. DOROTHY WALLACE

April 9, 2018 at 2:45 am

YOU ARE LEAVING BEHIND WHAT IS A LEGACY THAT IS THE MOST VALUABLE INTEGRITY ,HONESTY, HARD WORK, COMMON SENSE. I WISH YOU THE BEST IN WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO DO. I AM 82 AND HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH CORRUPTION AS WE HAVE NOW. I WISH WE HAD TEN MORE LIKE YOU FOR REPLACEMENT. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!

16. Gale Myers

April 9, 2018 at 2:45 am

Thank you for being the champion of the American people. There are so few who really care for us.

17. Charlene

April 9, 2018 at 2:47 am

What a loss for the American people, he’s truly a rare gem in a mountain of rubbish. We can only hope that a fighter comes forward to fight for truth, justice and the American way like he did. Wherever he goes, he’ll be a blessing, and I wish him all the best life has to offer! ♥

18. Jack Forman

April 9, 2018 at 2:54 am

DON’T LEAVE US !!! The US of A needs you!!!

19. Louise

April 9, 2018 at 2:57 am

Mr. Gowdy, I have followed everything you have worked on in the past several years. I am very saddened to see you go; however, I am fully on board with what you are feeling. You have sacrificed your time with your family in order to steer the country straight. You’ve done all that you can, and I know it has taken a toll on you. The last few months you appear to be getting weary. Your health is most important, so I will simply wish you all the best as you leave Washington, DC. Thank you for all that you have done. God bless you always.

• Jane Bogue

April 9, 2018 at 4:01 am

Well said, Louise. We really do need Trey Gowdy in Washington, but I do not blame him for leaving the “Circus” and returning home. Trey, you have done a great job and could have accomplished even more had you been working with honest people and allowed to complete your goals. I’m sure your family look forward to your returning home and, of course, we will welcome you back here in South Carolina.

20. CHUCK

April 9, 2018 at 3:03 am

Is there anything or anyone that can change your mind?? We need you please don’t jump ship

21. Henry Leunissen

April 9, 2018 at 3:18 am

I am really mad at Trump for not hiring Trey Gowdy in stead of milky-toast Jeff Sessions

• James

April 9, 2018 at 3:28 am

He wouldn’t take the job .

• Patricia

April 9, 2018 at 4:15 am

WAS HE ASKED?

• dfinch

April 9, 2018 at 5:34 pm

He was interviewed but then pulled his name from the list. He said he couldn’t put his family through that.

• Patricia

April 9, 2018 at 4:14 am

EXACTLY!!!!!

22. Jane

April 9, 2018 at 3:18 am

I so hate to see you leave. We needed you to continue to stand for honesty and integrity. You will be missed.

23. Joey Virgo

April 9, 2018 at 3:19 am

This American is just another American who can’t stay the course and fight.

24. John Bonneville

April 9, 2018 at 3:21 am

My friends and family are so sad to hear of your decision to not run again….we were praying you would be talked into staying on to fight for all of us ….. you are so needed…… your articulate and brilliant leadership and honesty in Washington and for all of us voters must not be underestimated.

Wishing you would reconsider running…..WE NEED YOU!…..AMERICA NEEDS YOU!……..Or maybe you will consider even higher office….

25. Nancy Clark

April 9, 2018 at 3:28 am

What can I say? What difference does it make anyway? Trey Gowdy, you are a man among the best of men. Even though, I live in NC; I would have been proud to have you representing our state. You have served well and done a thankless job in an exceptional way. You have the values that every good American citizen should possess. How it saddens me for you to leave your place in government, but I can certainly understand how you would be counting the days. May God bless you and keep you and your family.

26. Nancy Clark

April 9, 2018 at 3:38 am

The date and time on the above comment is incorrect. Does this mean it is FAKE NEWS? I also clicked to post on Facebook and was notified that this article was abusive. How is this abusive and to whom is it abusive? My dad was a WWII veteran who often told me that he fought for my rights (I was not even born yet). Daddy, you fought in vain because I do not even have the right of freedom of speech.

• Patricia

April 9, 2018 at 4:19 am

FACEBOOK IS CALLING ANYTHING ABUSIVE THAT IS CONTRARY TO LEFTIST VIEWS. IN THE LAST WEEK, THEY HAVE REFUSED TO SHARE 2 THINGS THAT I TRIED TO POST WHICH GAVE A VIEW OF THE REPUBLICANS INSTEAD OF THE DEMOCRATS. MEANWHILE THEY PUBLISH ANYTHING THE LEFT POSTS. ABUSIVE OR NOT. WE LIVE IN AN UNFAIR WORLD.

• Melba

April 9, 2018 at 6:28 pm

We are going to sorely miss Trey if he retires from Public office. Facebook has restricted several articles (and this is one) that I have tried to share. They consider themselves the “fact police”, but only so long as it puts the left in a positive light. Don’t try to share a positive republican article.

27. Jerry Etheredge

April 9, 2018 at 3:55 am

God bless you Trey Gowdy. I hate to see you leave. It has been hard to find men with your character in Congress. You have worked so hard with very little to show for it through no fault of your own. I am sorry for that but all America knows you are a good man. That has to be worth a lot to you. Wish it was Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn leaving also.

28. Charlene

April 9, 2018 at 3:55 am

No, it means this board is in a different time zone.

29. Tom

April 9, 2018 at 4:37 am

Thank you Congressman Gowdy! Please run for President!

30. steve ramsay

April 9, 2018 at 10:11 am

Finding this hard to compose and I wish I could say how I will feel when Trey leaves Congress. I believe that in my years as a voter that he are one of a very small number of Representatives that I would consider who has integrity, honesty, and character of a true American. I am saddened but do understand what a slippery slope there is in the cesspool we call Congress. I doubt there are more than 10 Representatives in Congress and public service since President Truman that can stand equal to Trey Gowdy. He is the one of maybe 2 in 2018. The People will miss him and his help to the People, as a American Veteran of 66 years I salute you as one of the finest I have knowledge of in service of the American Citizens.

31. drmaddogs

April 9, 2018 at 11:12 am

3-2-1- Goodbye, goodbye already! While amply demonstrating an apparent desire for the Democratic system, he never actually was involved with any indictments for all the transgressors.
    Short stepper.
    And I have some questions about his own personal leaking.

32. Marian

April 9, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Thank you for all you have done and all you attempted to do. Please do not think your 7 years accomplished nothing. You gave hope back to all of us who believe in truth, justice, and that America is a great nation. You showed us once again what truth looks like and what persistence can do. You showed us that you do not have to be dishonest to be a successful political representative of your constituents. I am 78 years old and had pretty much lost hope that we would ever see a man of your ilk again in D.C., but I was wrong and am thankful to be proven wrong by a gentleman such as you are. God Bless you and your family, and after time back in SC all of the stuff that one has to fight to keep out of in DC will be just a memory. If ever you decide to come back to the national scene I hope it will be as a Supreme Court Justice or as a candidate for POTUS.

33. NancyK

April 10, 2018 at 3:58 am

We truly respect Trey Gowdy for standing up & showing us the lies, cover-ups, corruption, collusion, and what we American Patriots saw
    in your integrity, persistence, honesty that is sorely missing in our government. Since Kennedy I became aware of politics and the parties.
    But today, never have I seen how corrupt, the lies & cover-ups, especially in the Obama administration, has done to our politicians and party’s.
    I am a true American Patriot who votes Conservative and was proud to vote for Trump because we needed someone that we believed what
    he said… just like you. We hate that you, only a one of few, are leaving, but we can understand your feeling failure and not on your part.
    Like you said, it’s ALL ABOUT THE WIN. God help us if these left, left wing marxists come into power. God bless you Mr. Gowdy !!!

34. MamaSmurf

April 10, 2018 at 9:01 pm

As long as there are men like George Soros pulling the strings of the corrupt politicians in Washington, good, decent, honest, forthright men like Trey Gowdy will always end up leaving out of sheer frustration of the backroom politics & deals being made by those Libs & Rhinos who care nothing for the people of this country. Who fight for no one but themselves to get re-elected over & over & over & over again. I applaud Mr. Gowdy for all he tried to accomplish, for all he tried to bring into the light, with his honesty, forthrigthness, integrity, & knowledge of this nation’s laws, while being held down, railroaded, lied to, and deceived by the entrenched Swamp Monsters of Washington. I wish him Godspeed in his soon to be return to private life & that as a private citizen he may be able to fight the Swamp in a better venue.