Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson has uncovered billions of dollars of fraud and waste. Perhaps we need a contest to see which Trump official can find the the most. Our bet would be the Defense Department would win, but then again perhaps Social Security would come in near the top. Such is the state of affairs that have been left by the derelict Obama administration, and to be fair, some of its predecessors.

Social Security is a particularly sensitive issue because it directly impacts those who are considered less likely to be able to earn a livable wage, either due to advancing years, being orphaned, or afflicted with a disability. Unlike other benefit programs, employees and their employers actually pay into this fund from our wages, as we all painfully know, with the idea that benefits will be there if and when needed.

Hence, when fraud exists in Social Security, money has been stolen from those workers who have paid into the fund. And it just happened in a big way as Attorney Eric Conn, who pleaded guilty to stealing almost $600 million from Social Security, has now disappeared and perhaps is in Cuba.

“Former disability lawyer Eric Conn slipped his ankle monitor and disappeared Saturday, two months after pleading guilty to a $600 million Social Security fraud scheme that brought down a psychologist and a judge.

“Conn, who made a name for himself promising to get his Floyd County, Ky., clients the best disability and social security payments, pleaded guilty March 24 to defrauding the Social Security Administration of $550 million. He was released on bond to await sentencing July 14, according to the Department of Justice.

“Conn’s ‘whereabouts are currently unknown’ according to David Habich, general counsel for FBI’s Louisville, Ky., office, The Washington Post reports.

“Employees at Conn’s office told the FBI the fugitive may have fled to Cuba, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.”

He’s a slippery character, isn’t he? First, he defrauded the SSA out of $550 million, then he disappeared, possibly with some of his ill gotten gains. Possibly to some nation that does not have an extradition treaty with the US.

Who let this guy out on bail? It’s not funny, but there was even a betting pool over when he’d skip the country. Somebody knew something that clearly eluded the judge who turned him loose pending sentencing.

“‘It was totally predictable that he would flee’ said attorney Ned Pillersdorf, who represents some of Conn’s former clients. ‘I was always shocked that, when he was arrested, he was actually allowed out on bond. And there has been a betting pool going on in Prestonsburg [Kentucky] on not if he would flee, but when.’”

The tragedy here is that people, some of whom are truly disabled and have valid claims for disability insurance benefits, are suffering. It’s not like someone gets rich on what a disability settlement pays.

In any event, the crook has flown the coop, and we’re out almost $600 million. Perhaps there’s now a betting pool going on over where he’ll turn up.

1. charleyhog

June 9, 2017 at 11:40 am

should never been allowed to leave the courthouse

2. Linda

June 9, 2017 at 11:57 am

WHY ARE THEY GET5TING BY WITH THIS????

3. Wendy Clardy

June 9, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I believe this story is connected to my recent discovery of my Social (Supplemental) Security Federal money is being taken for 12 years, $149.40 is taken each month. After, my inquiry of student loan forgiveness, I was sent to my local Social, Security Administration office to request my Benefits Planning Query (BPQY) form 2459.

I was denied a few times, case managers from SSA, said it was “Confidential” and I was not “Allowed” to have it. I stood my ground, because it was my right to have it, according to the Student Loan representative, at the Education Department of Student Loan Forgiveness Program. The representative needed that document to render the services.

Finally, I received it, and where I found the truth about my real benefits vs. The “Award Letter,” commonly used to verify income to other subsidiary companies or departments, such as, Student Loans, HUD housing, and Welfare Department who pays medicare deductibles and co-pays for free. Social security Administration will not answer the appeal in place to give reason why, they have been taken my SSI Supplemental (Federal) checks, for 2 months.

There is no attorney here in Nevada the knows about this information I write to you,and the attorneys here do not advocate for individuals that are are already on Social Security disability. I am on to something here and because I have raised a voice about it, SSA case managers and affiliates, have taken my SSI BENEFITS AND HAVE LIED AGAINST ME TO ACCUSE ME OF GROSS INCOME OF OVER $22,000 AND IS ACCUSING ME OF OVERPAYMENT. I NEED HELP. I HAVE DOCUMENTS AND OTHER PROOF, FRAUD IS ALIVE AND WELL WITHIN THE WALLS OF LOCAL SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICES. IF THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME, ITS HAPPENING TO OTHERS. I am one that have a voice and need your help to expose it more.

4. Jocelyn Stanley

June 9, 2017 at 4:47 pm

He be lock up for it

5. Michael Riggs

June 9, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Yea my name is Michael T Riggs and I have been for trying for my Ssi. For 4 years with a lawyer with tons of medical issues I worked for 30 years

6. Michael Riggs

June 9, 2017 at 6:09 pm

30 years no handouts no unemployment I paid in great amount to ssi.and this guy’s still’s it they want you to give up and kill your self its terrible

7. Jim

June 9, 2017 at 9:00 pm

With all this corruption in our government, these damn liberals are going after our President. It would be my guess this crook is a liberal. Nice Mr. Carson….

• Sylva

June 10, 2017 at 1:32 pm

The only president’s who took $$ from social security finds were Reagan and Bush, and never paid it back!!! Obama did nothing but make sure the fund was not touched and put into unlicensed holdings like Bush wanted to do! And it was a liberal democrat who STARTED SOCIAL SECURITY PROGRAM in the first place maybe educate yourselves before you bitch about thinks you know nothing about!

• Larry

June 10, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Thanks your so right

• Jane

June 11, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Sylva!!!

8. Jan

June 9, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Lets see, I have over seven different ailments, and over 12 surgeries, and I wake up everyday in pain, but I have been denied disability four times, in spite of my ailments, xrays, surgeries, CT scans, etc; told my conditions are not severe enough, that my age, 54, and my college degrees were factors also in my denial, in line with the RFC GRID. That is in spite of working in education and in a non profit organization for 35 years, and we can’t take care of our own. I haven’t been able to work since 2012, thank God I have a husband. No money, the ss judges are told to deny, deny, deny. I can only imagine how many sick Americans are cheated out of benefits. I have a friend who can’t walk, can’t read or write after being afflicted with a horrible disease, and the SSA denied her as well.

9. Rosie Eiler

June 9, 2017 at 10:19 pm

1. Should have frozen all his bank accounts. 2. Should have known he was a risk to release. 3. Send a bounty hunter after him!! They will get the job done.

10. Pingback: Look Who Just Stole $550 MILLION Of Social Security Funds– And He’s Getting Away With It! – VNutube

11. Bill

June 11, 2017 at 4:47 am

Why do you need a lawyer to collect disability? This should be a function of the SSA.

12. loren kittel

June 15, 2017 at 4:21 am

when will we see some Wall Street bankers and hedge fund managers go to jail? Dodd Frank will punish them. oh, wait…