NPR Music Critic: Justin Timberlake Super Bowl Halftime Performance Embodies ‘White Male Privilege’

Monday, National Public Radio music critic Ann Powers reacted on “All Things Considered” to Sunday’s Super Bowl LII halftime performance by Justin Timberlake, saying the artist was “not right for this moment.”

“[T]he entire performance was shrouded in the sense of Timberlake not being right for this moment — and the Janet Jackson controversy haunted it,” Powers explained. “He chose to perform the song ‘Rock Your Body,’ during which the famous wardrobe malfunction took place, and yet he didn’t mention Janet. He didn’t shout her out, and he stopped the song right before the line during which he ripped off her costume.”

“So, it was almost like he was trying to erase what had happened in the past, but that is just not flying in 2018,” she continued.

According to Powers, Timberlake embodies “white male privilege” because his music does not reflect the “moment of struggle” that the country is apparently in now in 2018.

“[W]e are living in a moment of struggle, and we want our pop music to also reflect that struggle,” said Powers. “And, frankly, Timberlake now embodies that phrase so often spoken today: white male privilege. It’s just not a good look for 2018, and it’s really, in some ways, not his fault. It’s just who he is.”

What do you think about this comment below.

1. Alex Mackie

February 7, 2018 at 10:30 am

I am getting very tired of white hate put forth by trash liberal pundits… You are all idiots!!!!

• M Yarone

February 7, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Amen brother!!

2. Tina W

February 7, 2018 at 1:15 pm

You have got to be kidding me!!!! Grow up

3. Mary E. Wambach

February 7, 2018 at 1:35 pm

If you folks weren’t so obtuse, you’d be funny. White male privilege is what is embodied by trumpty and his gang of thieves: McConnell, Ryan, Sessions and all. Additional evidence is in their clear support of anti-American/racist and supremacist groups, and their embrace of Roy Moore, who at this point is not even bothering to address his being barred from the local malls, being a voyeur to groups of young girls, and his belief that his race and “religion” empower him to do whatever he wants. Get a clue, stop aiming for the lowest possible bar, and maybe even consider taking some real journalism courses?

4. MarshallCab

February 7, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Who is this racist idiot from NPR?? Keep your stupid bigoted comments to yourself asswipe!!

5. MarshallCab

February 7, 2018 at 1:52 pm

ONCE AND FOR ALL. THERE IS NO WHITE MALE PRIVILEGE!! Anybody who says there is, is just a jealous, low self-esteem, lazy RACIST BIGOT!!!

6. heywood Jablome

February 7, 2018 at 2:34 pm

so if there were urban rappers, talking in rhyme, using the urban dictionary and ebonices, peppered with the , gasp, N word, no problem? I have your white privilege right here

• JAY MAZZEI

February 7, 2018 at 2:41 pm

WHITE BLACK GREEN PINK OR YELLOW THE SHOW SUCKED!!!

• ANITA CARNEY

February 7, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Right they just work harder and are being wronged for it. I am getting beyond sick of this.

7. Linda J. Moker

February 7, 2018 at 3:14 pm

This is the last straw. I have had it with all these idiots who think I should be ashamed that I was born white. I will not apologize for this. I have never asked for a government handout and I don’t depend on someone else to pay my bills for me. I worked for my money. These so called people who think I should crawl at there feet because I am white have caused me to give up many things in my life I guess I will have to add to my list of No purchase of Movie Tickets, No buying any music, No NFL and now I will have to give up reading these stupid stories. I will not help pay their salaries.

8. paulette

February 7, 2018 at 3:34 pm

UNBELIEVABLE,THERES ALWAYS SOMETHING WRONG ACCORDING TO THE LIBS

9. Linda Lewis

February 7, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Of course, Justin should have stopped his performance & invited Janet to the stage and had her dance topless! That would have certainly highlighted the struggle we are having! What a bunch of BS!

10. Derek

February 7, 2018 at 7:12 pm

This hideous racist & sexist Ann Powers is trying to make the argument that Timberlake shouldn’t be a headline performer because he’s a white male. It’s another sad point in our history when skin color and sex, instead of ability & character, are used by some to judge the value of others. Worse still, Ann Powers ADMITS to being a disgraceful racist & sexist, when she says, “and it’s really, in some ways, not his fault”. Meaning of course, that Timberlake was BORN that way. What kind of lowlife would hold such a thing against another human being?