Raiders’ Marshawn Lynch Sits for U.S. Anthem in Mexico City, Stands for Mexican Anthem

The Raiders and the Patriots traveled to play a game in Mexico City during Week 11 of the NFL season. And it appears, at least in one case, they brought their politics with them.

Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch has not stood for the U.S. national anthem at all this year, and he continued that practice in Mexico City on Sunday. However, when it was time for the Mexican anthem to be played, suddenly Lynch felt inspired to stand:

The protest from Lynch, appeared to be the only protest from either team during the anthem. The anthem protests gained notoriety last season, after 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began sitting, then kneeling during the anthem. After walking away from his contract in San Francisco, Kaepernick has not signed with another team. Kaepernick believes the league has colluded to keep him out of the NFL, and has filed a grievance.

The NFL and the Mexican Ministry of Tourism also announced on Sunday that the league will play a game in Mexico’s Azteca Stadium every year from 2019-21.

On Sunday the Raiders and Patriots played the second game, of a three game deal which was set to expire after next season.

1. Larry S. Buchanan Jr.

November 20, 2017 at 12:56 am

That ungrateful worm! Disrespect our country, but honor one that openly endorses crime, and gang activity? This country made you Lynch, and anywhere else you would not be the arrogant, wealthy, spoiled brat you are here.

2. Matthew V. Brown

November 20, 2017 at 12:57 am

Maybe Marshawn Lynch should be encouraged to re-patrate to Mexico. We don’t need any more spoiled football players who do not respect our country embarrassing us on the national stage. Let him play whatever sport he wishes to play in Mexico, or anywhere else, for that matter. We top not need him here.

• Matthew V. Brown

November 20, 2017 at 12:58 am

Make that: We DO not need him here.”

• Rogelio Escobedo

November 20, 2017 at 1:49 am

IN MY OPINION: WE DO NOT NEED TRUMP EITHER-HE BELONGS IN RUSSIA MAKING RUSSIA GREAT AGAIN-TRAITOR. —THE NFL PLAYERS HAVE A LEGITIMATE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEIR FREEDOM OF SPEECH-MAINLY AGAINST TRUMP FOR ENABLING RACISM AND POLICE BRUTALITY. —TRUMP SUPPORTERS KEEP ON BRING OUT THIS FAKE PATRIOTIC SCHEME TO DISTRACT TRUMP’S INCOMPETENCE AND POOR STANDING IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION. —TRUMP IS THE REASON FOR THE PROTEST AND YOU ARE TRYING TO CONFUSE THE SCENE BY USING FAKE PATRIOTISM! —SEMPER FI!

• CHUCK

November 20, 2017 at 2:23 am

DO YOU THINK BEN CARSON AND DIAMOND AND SILK WOULD PROMOTE TRUMP I THINK NOT HE WILL GO DOWN AS THE GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER AND OBUMMER IS THE WORST

• tom cain

November 20, 2017 at 3:26 am

if you are so unhappy, WHY don’t you move to Mexico??

• Adam

November 20, 2017 at 4:38 am

Dry it up you spineless weasel

• David

November 20, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Hey you Mexican, your not a Marine your fake. Your a liberal ANTIFA follower, get the fuck out of my Country along with any other disrespecting asshole like your self and that Lynch character. Maybe you all should be Lynched

• Alex Mackie

November 21, 2017 at 12:13 am

In my opinion you can move to Mexico with Marshawyn…

3. Sue Madaus

November 20, 2017 at 12:58 am

I have been a Raiders fan my entire adult life. I tolerated them moving around, losing their first place statue for many years, I lived in San Diego for 18 years where it is not easy to be a Raiders fan, Now I am done. I burned my starter jacket all my memorabilia gone. Sit where ever you want but without me. Move your traitorous asses to Mexico,I’m done.

• Rogelio Escobedo

November 20, 2017 at 1:50 am

IN MY OPINION: YOU OUGHT TO BURN TRUMP’S RED CAP. —WE DO NOT NEED TRUMP EITHER-HE BELONGS IN RUSSIA MAKING RUSSIA GREAT AGAIN-TRAITOR. —THE NFL PLAYERS HAVE A LEGITIMATE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEIR FREEDOM OF SPEECH-MAINLY AGAINST TRUMP FOR ENABLING RACISM AND POLICE BRUTALITY. —TRUMP SUPPORTERS KEEP ON BRING OUT THIS FAKE PATRIOTIC SCHEME TO DISTRACT TRUMP’S INCOMPETENCE AND POOR STANDING IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION. —TRUMP IS THE REASON FOR THE PROTEST AND YOU ARE TRYING TO CONFUSE THE SCENE BY USING FAKE PATRIOTISM! —SEMPER FI!

• David

November 20, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Again, your not a Marine but some Liberal cock sucking Obama Soros supporter. Just do us all a favor and move to Mexico or better yet, to Kenya Africa where you will enjoy Obama more at his home there.

4. john H. Cerullo

November 20, 2017 at 1:02 am

thumbs down for this ingrate…..cancel this yahoos ticket…..right, wrong indifferent…he sucks my point of view….

5. Peter Dunning

November 20, 2017 at 1:19 am

I agree with all of the previous statements !!!!! LEAVE HIM IN MEXICO. HE and others like turn my stomach.

• Rogelio Escobedo

November 20, 2017 at 1:55 am

IN MY OPINION: TRUMP BELONGS IN RUSSIA WHERE HE CAN MAKE RUSSIA GREAT AGAIN-TRAITOR! —THE NFL PLAYERS HAVE A LEGITIMATE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEIR FREEDOM OF SPEECH-MAINLY AGAINST TRUMP FOR ENABLING RACISM AND POLICE BRUTALITY. —TRUMP SUPPORTERS KEEP ON BRING OUT THIS FAKE PATRIOTIC SCHEME TO DISTRACT TRUMP’S INCOMPETENCE AND POOR STANDING IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION. —TRUMP IS THE REASON FOR THE PROTEST AND YOU ARE TRYING TO CONFUSE THE SCENE BY USING FAKE PATRIOTISM! —SEMPER FI!

• David

November 20, 2017 at 3:15 pm

GET A LIFE YOU LOSER

6. Alex Mackie

November 20, 2017 at 1:32 am

POS !!!

7. Larry S. Buchanan Jr.

November 20, 2017 at 2:07 am

Rogelio Escobedo is another hack of my yahoo account which I use as my login here. My posts are always under Larry S. Buchanan Jr. he smells like Peter Anton under another name. I only use Larry S. Buchanan Jr. as my post name. Not Larry S., and certainly not Rogelio Escobedo.

Thank you all for supporting Conservatives. It’s past time our true voices were heard.

8. Phyllis White

November 20, 2017 at 2:10 am

If he likes Mexico enough to stand for their flag, then maybe they’ll take him in as am immigrant; obviously, Lynch doesn’t appreciate the freedom he has here in the U.S.A..

9. Andy O'Boyle

November 20, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Another has been trying to gain attention…. If the Raiders didn’t sign him this team maybe would have had the chance to make the playoffs. He and the o line effictively killed all of this teams chemistry in one fell swoop…. So sad.