Washington Store Owner Sentenced To 8 Years For Killing Robber

Washington Store Owner Sentenced To 8 Years For Killing Robber

A convenience store owner from Spanaway, Washington has been sentenced to 8 years in prison after shooting a thug who stole from his establishment.

According to Q13 Fox, surveillance footage from the March 25, 2016 incident shows 31-year-old Min Sik Kim asking a group of men loitering outside his store to leave.

While he was outside, 21-year-old Jakeel Rashon Mason can be seen attempting to steal cigarettes from behind the counter of Kim’s store.

The footage shows Kim and Mason subsequently engaging in a fight. Ultimately, according to Q13 Fox, Kim can be seen shooting Mason in the back as he flees.

As King 5 reports, prior to this incident, Min Kim’s wife was shot in the stomach by another thug attempting to rob their store.

Kim subsequently pled guilty to second-degree murder.

During sentencing, Q13 Fox quotes him as stating, “I’m here to take responsibility for my actions in taking Mason’s life. I accept the consequences. I did not have the right to take his life.”

KOMO News reports that Judge John Hickman, keeping the earlier shooting of Kim’s wife in mind, acknowledged that the situation was tough but stated deadly force was not warranted on Kim’s part.

According to another KOMO News article, Mason previously made headlines when he was convicted of attempting to kidnap a 6-year-old girl, Savanna.

The outlet’s article on the kidnapping reads as follows:

“I looked both ways, and there was no one coming but then I went halfway across the street, two guys came out of nowhere,” Savanna says.

And what happened next is every parent’s nightmare.

“They grabbed me,” says Savanna.

But Savanna’s smart moves made her mom very proud.

“Run … and kick … and punch,” says the little girl.

“What’s the No. 1 thing you did that got everybody’s attention around the whole neighborhood?” asks Savanna’s mom, Amy Norman.

“I kicked him,” says Savanna. “I screamed loud.”

This 6-year-old knows “stranger danger” well.

“‘Cause mommy teaches me,” she says.

Amy saw the attempted kidnapping from her front window, and dashed out the door.

“My heart was pounding,” she says.

1. Eyeball

June 24, 2017 at 7:21 pm

The problem here is the liberal state of Washington. The shooting should never have resulted in charges. They unjustly do not allow it’s citizens to protect their property. You couldn’t pay me to live there. No one forced the thief to go rob this store. The robber is solely responsible for his own death. Who knows, maybe he would have gone on to kill innocent people in other robberies.

• gigene

June 24, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Your comment says it all. What a disgrace your justice system is in Washington. Be ashamed you bedwetting liberal airheads. I wouldn’t even drive through you decadent State. Lets all BOYCOTT Washington State.

• yogiman

June 24, 2017 at 8:33 pm

The man didn’t know if the thief was armed and possibly going to shoot.

• Olga Musson-Zepke

June 25, 2017 at 2:25 am

I feel exactly the same way. Washington state has always been a hotbed of liberalism This is a travesty of justice especially in view of the fact that the owner’s wife had previously been shot in in a robbery attempt. I would probably done exactly what he did..

2. ann

June 24, 2017 at 7:28 pm

The robber received his justly deserved consequence of his actions.

3. Eyeball

June 24, 2017 at 7:30 pm

ATTENTION: Thieves and robbers in my state of Texas should move to Washington State where you will be able to apply your trade in a more safe manner.

4. Brenda Jackson

June 24, 2017 at 7:56 pm

This a shame he wouldn’t have shot him if he had not been robbing his store.

5. Mark Edwards

June 24, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Call President Trump He can help .

6. Jim

June 24, 2017 at 8:22 pm

This thug ended up where he should be, in hell if there is a after life. I hope the liberal judge ends up there soon. I put most of the blame on the idiot citizens of Washington, when this thug tried to kidnap that little girl the people should have taken care of him and not rely on corrupt judges. Now this poor store owner is in prison for doing what cowards of this city should have done. I do have a pretty good idea, why not take all these gang members in chicago and move them to washington where they can kill without being judged.

7. Alan

June 24, 2017 at 9:38 pm

The store owners wife was shot in the stomach, this guy did steel from the store. The dead guy has a long record with police and attempted to kidnap a 6 year old girl I think this guy should go free.

8. Kathy

June 24, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Typical liberal asshole. His wife was shot in the stomach? And that doesn’t warrant him shooting this guy? I really believe California, Oregon, and Washington state should fall in the ocean.
    There is no justice for this store owner.

9. abacus

June 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Shoot the judge.

10. Mary Anderson

June 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm

This is NOT right! This man was obviously defending his property and his safety! How can we defend a robber committing a crime against an honest businessman? Something is way rotten in Denmark!!! Eight years????

11. Drummer

June 24, 2017 at 10:54 pm

The Judge is an Idiot and who ever sent this Store owner for 8 years. And who the hell was this guys lawyer.Stupid ass he was.

12. sammy

June 25, 2017 at 4:01 am

This judge has lost his mind!!

13. David

June 25, 2017 at 4:15 am

The biggest problem is why was this criminal on the street to begin with. He tried to kidnap a little girl and was on the street now you know just how corrupt the state of Washington is. Good people move before you all are thrown in prison.

14. James Arjuna

June 25, 2017 at 6:24 am

It is FAR worse in the Netherlands and other European liberal socialist countries. If you kill them in a fight with your bare hands for coming in with a gun or knife, you go to prison, and you have to pay forever to the family of the dead criminal.

15. Dennis S.

June 25, 2017 at 6:33 am

Thief was wrong for stealing of coarse,but to shoot him in the back as he is running away was also wrong of coarse, but 8 years is also wrong,of coarse. But what’s right? Off hand and without much thought,I think the judge should of handed down no more then 3 years. Shootings in the back have not ever been ok in this country.

16. Helen

June 25, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Completely wrong! The Constitution gives every one the right to defend themselves and their property! Simply because he was leaving, after committing the robbery does not mean he did NOT deserve it. And to put this man is jail or EVEN CONTEMPLATE CHARGES is indicative of how far the Democrats have drug this country into the swamp! THIS IS WRONG AND THE PEOPLE OF WASHINGTON WILL PAY THE PRICE WHEN GOD RETURNS TO THE EARTH!

17. Robert jones

June 26, 2017 at 11:02 am

Remember the judges name and vote him out.

18. Anne

June 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Wow– a perfect example of how out of whack our country is. The store owner protects himself from the crook and the store owner goes to jail. The robbers family will probably file a civil suit and they’ll get paid off too. Great country we’ve turned into.

19. ken holtzclaw

June 28, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I would like to see President Trump pardon this guy

20. Dick

June 28, 2017 at 11:56 pm

I would have shot him, too. Have to disagree with the ruling, but I know Washington and some other western states have some screwed up laws. Glad I’m not having to live there. I’d have to leave!