Washington Store Owner Sentenced To 8 Years For Killing Robber

Washington Store Owner Sentenced To 8 Years For Killing Robber

A convenience store owner from Spanaway, Washington has been sentenced to 8 years in prison after shooting a thug who stole from his establishment.

According to Q13 Fox, surveillance footage from the March 25, 2016 incident shows 31-year-old Min Sik Kim asking a group of men loitering outside his store to leave.

While he was outside, 21-year-old Jakeel Rashon Mason can be seen attempting to steal cigarettes from behind the counter of Kim’s store.

The footage shows Kim and Mason subsequently engaging in a fight. Ultimately, according to Q13 Fox, Kim can be seen shooting Mason in the back as he flees.

Kim subsequently pled guilty to second-degree murder.

During sentencing, Q13 Fox quotes him as stating, “I’m here to take responsibility for my actions in taking Mason’s life. I accept the consequences. I did not have the right to take his life.”

KOMO News reports that Judge John Hickman, keeping the earlier shooting of Kim’s wife in mind, acknowledged that the situation was tough but stated deadly force was not warranted on Kim’s part.

According to another KOMO News article, Mason previously made headlines when he was convicted of attempting to kidnap a 6-year-old girl, Savanna.

The outlet’s article on the kidnapping reads as follows:

“I looked both ways, and there was no one coming but then I went halfway across the street, two guys came out of nowhere,” Savanna says.

And what happened next is every parent’s nightmare.

“They grabbed me,” says Savanna.

But Savanna’s smart moves made her mom very proud.

“Run … and kick … and punch,” says the little girl.

“What’s the No. 1 thing you did that got everybody’s attention around the whole neighborhood?” asks Savanna’s mom, Amy Norman.

“I kicked him,” says Savanna. “I screamed loud.”

This 6-year-old knows “stranger danger” well.

“‘Cause mommy teaches me,” she says.

Amy saw the attempted kidnapping from her front window, and dashed out the door.

“My heart was pounding,” she says.

1. L. Wayne

June 24, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Live in a rathole prog state, take the consequences.

2. Eyeball

June 24, 2017 at 7:21 pm

The problem here is the liberal state of Washington. The shooting should never have resulted in charges. They unjustly do not allow it’s citizens to protect their property. You couldn’t pay me to live there. No one forced the thief to go rob this store. The robber is solely responsible for his own death. Who knows, maybe he would have gone on to kill innocent people in other robberies.

• gigene

June 24, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Your comment says it all. What a disgrace your justice system is in Washington. Be ashamed you bedwetting liberal airheads. I wouldn’t even drive through you decadent State. Lets all BOYCOTT Washington State.

• yogiman

June 24, 2017 at 8:33 pm

The man didn’t know if the thief was armed and possibly going to shoot.

• Shaft

June 25, 2017 at 5:24 am

You just hate asians.

• Olga Musson-Zepke

June 25, 2017 at 2:25 am

I feel exactly the same way. Washington state has always been a hotbed of liberalism This is a travesty of justice especially in view of the fact that the owner’s wife had previously been shot in in a robbery attempt. I would probably done exactly what he did..

• Yellowcake

June 29, 2017 at 11:05 pm

The problem here is – the thug was running away and he was shot in the back. If he was running toward the store owner and was shot in the chest it would have been justifiable homicide. In no state in the union can you shoot someone in the back because they stole cigarettes and get away with it.

• Joseph Toth

July 4, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I don’t have any sympathy for them , they voted those judges in . Looks like they come back to bite him

3. ann

June 24, 2017 at 7:28 pm

The robber received his justly deserved consequence of his actions.

4. Eyeball

June 24, 2017 at 7:30 pm

ATTENTION: Thieves and robbers in my state of Texas should move to Washington State where you will be able to apply your trade in a more safe manner.

5. Brenda Jackson

June 24, 2017 at 7:56 pm

This a shame he wouldn’t have shot him if he had not been robbing his store.

6. Mark Edwards

June 24, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Call President Trump He can help .

7. Jim

June 24, 2017 at 8:22 pm

This thug ended up where he should be, in hell if there is a after life. I hope the liberal judge ends up there soon. I put most of the blame on the idiot citizens of Washington, when this thug tried to kidnap that little girl the people should have taken care of him and not rely on corrupt judges. Now this poor store owner is in prison for doing what cowards of this city should have done. I do have a pretty good idea, why not take all these gang members in chicago and move them to washington where they can kill without being judged.

• Brian

June 25, 2017 at 2:26 am

Seems all of our judges now are total IDIOTS. The thug got what he deserved.

8. Pingback: naija news | trending news in nigeria | latest naija news,nigeria celebrity news | Washington Store Owner Sentenced To 8 Years For Killing Robber

9. Alan

June 24, 2017 at 9:38 pm

The store owners wife was shot in the stomach, this guy did steel from the store. The dead guy has a long record with police and attempted to kidnap a 6 year old girl I think this guy should go free.

• Yellowcake

June 29, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Please read the article — “As King 5 reports, prior to this incident, Min Kim’s wife was shot in the stomach by another thug attempting to rob their store.”

10. lschmeor

June 24, 2017 at 9:40 pm

APPEAL this is the castle law in Florida glad I dont live in Washington.. this Mason guy tried kidnap a young girl he had no conscience and this guy should be be released

11. Kathy

June 24, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Typical liberal asshole. His wife was shot in the stomach? And that doesn’t warrant him shooting this guy? I really believe California, Oregon, and Washington state should fall in the ocean.
    There is no justice for this store owner.

12. Bwn

June 24, 2017 at 9:50 pm

A reason to not live in Washington. Person should have the right to protect his property and life.

13. abacus

June 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Shoot the judge.

14. Mary Anderson

June 24, 2017 at 10:23 pm

This is NOT right! This man was obviously defending his property and his safety! How can we defend a robber committing a crime against an honest businessman? Something is way rotten in Denmark!!! Eight years????

15. Linda Deveso

June 24, 2017 at 10:42 pm

He had the right the thug might have got to the door and turned and shot him!!! This judge needs to be removed from the bench !! I can only hope karma gets this judge!

16. Drummer

June 24, 2017 at 10:54 pm

The Judge is an Idiot and who ever sent this Store owner for 8 years. And who the hell was this guys lawyer.Stupid ass he was.

• Stephen Swift

June 29, 2017 at 5:45 am

Having lived in the state of Washington for 15 years I can agree that liberal idea’s and beliefs are just as stupid as they are here in California. Liberals have no common sense or rational for their beliefs. Their just idiots. That’s why we have desided to move to Florida. There we can legally protect ourselves and our property.

17. JD

June 24, 2017 at 11:05 pm

What’s with the surveillance video/news story of an unrelated story?

18. Pingback: Washington Store Owner Sentenced To 8 Years For Killing Robber – Conservative Politics

19. Bill

June 24, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Trump need to appoint a person who can receive and look at instances kike this and recommend them for timely and immediate PARDON

20. Ray

June 25, 2017 at 2:13 am

Hang this liberal Judge and the DA for supporting this dead scum. Hell I would had shot him to .

21. Mike Taylor

June 25, 2017 at 3:51 am

Judge John Hickman…shame on you…you wouldn’t know justice if it slapped you in the face…The good people of Washington need to rise up and oust this political hack from office…Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

22. sammy

June 25, 2017 at 4:01 am

This judge has lost his mind!!

• dorpmuller

June 30, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Do any of them even have minds?

23. David

June 25, 2017 at 4:15 am

The biggest problem is why was this criminal on the street to begin with. He tried to kidnap a little girl and was on the street now you know just how corrupt the state of Washington is. Good people move before you all are thrown in prison.

24. James Arjuna

June 25, 2017 at 6:24 am

It is FAR worse in the Netherlands and other European liberal socialist countries. If you kill them in a fight with your bare hands for coming in with a gun or knife, you go to prison, and you have to pay forever to the family of the dead criminal.

25. Dennis S.

June 25, 2017 at 6:33 am

Thief was wrong for stealing of coarse,but to shoot him in the back as he is running away was also wrong of coarse, but 8 years is also wrong,of coarse. But what’s right? Off hand and without much thought,I think the judge should of handed down no more then 3 years. Shootings in the back have not ever been ok in this country.

26. Roman Makovetskiy

June 25, 2017 at 8:18 am

when judicial system become clean of disgrace like this?!

27. Helen

June 25, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Completely wrong! The Constitution gives every one the right to defend themselves and their property! Simply because he was leaving, after committing the robbery does not mean he did NOT deserve it. And to put this man is jail or EVEN CONTEMPLATE CHARGES is indicative of how far the Democrats have drug this country into the swamp! THIS IS WRONG AND THE PEOPLE OF WASHINGTON WILL PAY THE PRICE WHEN GOD RETURNS TO THE EARTH!

28. Tom

June 25, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Trump should pardon this poor man.

29. TC

June 25, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Guy stole a pack of cigarettes and was fleeing when the store owner shot him IN THE BACK. The owner understood he was guilty. Why don’t you?..

He’ll probably be out in 2 years and back to his business… I’m pretty sure nobody will be robbing his store anymore.

30. Joey

June 25, 2017 at 3:29 pm

In 2014 Jakeel Rashon Mason attempted to abduct a 6 year old girl, and 2 years later is outside of a store hanging out with other thugs that have committed God knows what crimes, and he attempts to steal property from this family that are probably WORKING ungodly hours to make an honest living, and this man who has endured his wife almost getting murdered for trying to make an honest living, is sentenced 8 years for trying to take the trash out?? The so called JUSTICE system is to blame for this piece of crap getting killed. HE should have been locked up & the key thrown away, so that our wives, daughters, & grand daughters can be safe from the EVIL that is out committing millions of crimes that never see the light of day, and go on to commit crime after crime, after crime. Jakeel Rashon Mason got what he deserved. Min Sik Kim did not.

31. Drew

June 25, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I moved to Washington for work from the state of Georgia. One of the reasons I left was because I was tired of the blacks and “their culture of violence” which they glorify and is alive and well there. So I move to Washington because their aren’t as many blacks but they can get away with this kind of injustice!! This is an outrage. One of the great things about our Asian communities is their incredible work ethic and the importance that honor plays in their culture. What an injustice against this man!! Washington is probably afraid of riots and protests breaking out so Mr. Kim is punished. He becomes a sacrificial lamb!! Unbelievable!!!

32. Robert jones

June 26, 2017 at 11:02 am

Remember the judges name and vote him out.

33. Anne

June 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Wow– a perfect example of how out of whack our country is. The store owner protects himself from the crook and the store owner goes to jail. The robbers family will probably file a civil suit and they’ll get paid off too. Great country we’ve turned into.

34. Sharon

June 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Leave Washington.
    Why are states Out there so pretty geographically ,but The peopled have. Not got the good sense God gave them .
    These liberal God haters would Like US all to be perpetual victims to the poor violent hoodlums.. its going to be the Old West out there soon .California is bankrupt, in the red , overrun with mooching Anti American illegal$ .Wacky leftists have ruined the West Coast . .NYC needs a complete liberal vacuum. Put these Criminals in jail where they belong .

35. Dubayew

June 28, 2017 at 3:09 pm

To Dinnis S. : You must be living under a rock, the police shoot people in the back all the time.

36. ken holtzclaw

June 28, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I would like to see President Trump pardon this guy

37. Y'all are sick bastards

June 28, 2017 at 9:48 pm

I agree with all of your comments…if someone comes on my store to shoplift I don’t care who they are or how old I will shoot them dead…old people stealing food cause they’re hungry…little kids stealing candy…don’t care they’re dead…even if they’re running out the door if they steal from me they are dead dead dead

38. Y'all are sick bastards

June 28, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to add especially if they look like liberals…you know how they look…all liberal like…with that liberal hair and skin and liberal clothes and shoes..ewww…you can just tell the minute you see them…have you noticed their smell…hideous

39. Dick

June 28, 2017 at 11:56 pm

I would have shot him, too. Have to disagree with the ruling, but I know Washington and some other western states have some screwed up laws. Glad I’m not having to live there. I’d have to leave!

40. MVW

June 29, 2017 at 1:40 am

Once someone takes it upon themselves to pull a gun on another person in order to rob, kill, harm or kidnap, they automatically lose all rights. If they get killed in the process, then they get killed in the process.

Break into my house, try and rob me, and shoot my wife… Ha… I can promise you this, you wouldn’t get past breaking in.

41. froggy57

June 30, 2017 at 2:47 am

Normally I am all for shooting the thieves. But over a pack of cigs and as he was running away.. hmmm a bit over the top, actually.

• froggy57

June 30, 2017 at 2:49 am

However, can you imagine how the black convicts in prison will treat this guy? He’ll have to spend his entire 8 years in solitaire.