WATCH: What Happens When Diversity-Obsessed Students Meet Black Conservative

John Stuart Mill, the 19th century political philosopher, said that “If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”

Ayn Rand, the enigmatic 20th century quasi-libertarian theorist, once noted that “The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.”

The average millennial student activist, otherwise known as a snowflake, has a different reaction to that conundrum: “Your rights end where my feelings begin. And when you hurt my feelings with your speech, I’m going to find far more corporeal ways to punish you.”

It’s interesting to see just how political discourse on the individual has developed over three separate centuries. And by developed, read: completely gone to pot.

Take, for instance, the case of Burgess Owens. Owens, a 10-year veteran of the NFL who retired in 1982, played for the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets. According to TheBlaze, the former safety is also an outspoken conservative who’s spent his post-playing days talking faith and politics.

Given that Owens, 66, is an African-American entrepreneur, he seems like the ideal speaker to bring to a college campus to discuss the challenges that black business owners might face. In fact, his appearance at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in March seems, on face, to be one of the most profoundly uncontroversial college speeches one could give.

WATCH:

“I grew up in the Deep South during Jim Crow segregation laws,” Owens told the crowd.

“I can tell you how racism looks, how it feels, and what it means. You guys today can go anyplace you want to — any restaurant, any college. We just had a (black) president for eight years guys, elected by Americans. There is nothing you cannot do today based on your tenacity. Can we guarantee success? No. We shouldn’t. What we guarantee is the opportunity to work for it.”

“If I can tell you as someone who came through the days of segregation, we have never had it as good as we do right now,” he added. “If all you’re hearing is how bad things are, day in and day out … you’re going to believe bad things.”

Alas, I had forgotten Owens is African-American and conservative. That admixture produced the usual assortment tolerant campus activists convinced that a successful black man simply isn’t diverse enough to speak on their campus — and he shouldn’t be telling them that hard work is the key to success. Thus, the Q&A portion of the speech went… well, predictably.

“What was your name again?” one student asked.

After Owens repeated his name, she responded, “Thought it was Tom.” Ah yes, the good ol’ racist standby, Uncle Tom. It was used early, and one assumes it would have been used often had the Q&A not eventually been shut down. As the woman stormed out, Owens managed to get in the last word.

“There goes our biggest problem,” he said. “The minute you start calling names, you’ve already stopped the debate. You’re not looking for answers. You’re looking for ways of insulting, and that’s not how Americans do it.”

The next questioner was even more aggressive, trying to grab the microphone away from the moderator that was holding it. “I had the mic. You took the mic away from me. I’m talking. I’m asking a question,” he said.

When the student went on a lengthy rant about “xenophobic” speakers being brought to campus, the moderator decided to cut it short, as typically happens during these Q&A sessions. That’s when audience members began yelling “let him finish!”

And campus activists weren’t done yet. One white male, who ended up shouting about “structural racism,” asked, “Why is it OK to bring people to talk against their own people?”

Nothing Owens said had anything to do with “talking against his own people,” but never mind! He incited enough outrage among the perpetually outraged that the Q&A session eventually had to be shut down.

Just this February, The Washington Post wrote an article about George Washington’s rules of civility under the pretense that President Trump was trampling them. Among those rules of civility: “Let your Conversation be without Malice or Envy,” “Wherein you reprove Another be unblameable yourself,” “Detract not from others,” “Be not apt to relate News if you know not the truth thereof” and “Always Submit your Judgment to others with Modesty.”

For whatever reason, Post writer Fred Barbash couldn’t find the time to work his way on up to the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York to visit the William and Hobart Colleges to report on a distinguished black entrepreneur getting called an “Uncle Tom” and shouted down by a retinue of fanatics who — without knowing the truth thereof — derided him as a racist and a race traitor. But at least they submitted their judgement to him with modesty, albeit at a solid 80 decibels.

Diversity of opinion is the one kind of diversity that nobody on the left seems to countenance, particularly in the orbit of academia. Nothing in Owens’ remarks represented hate speech or bigotry. What’s worse is that this lack of intellectual diversity seems to be narrowing on so many vital issues where the freedom to express oneself — without fear of the heckler’s veto — is of paramount importance.

If this trend continues, the most threatened and smallest minority — the individual — is in grave danger of losing their right to speak openly about their beliefs, their faith and their experiences.

What do you think? Scroll down to comment below!

1. Blkojo

April 22, 2018 at 2:31 am

The ‘tolerant’ are intolerant.

2. Lavon

April 22, 2018 at 2:36 am

This is a very sick situation. It makes me want to throw up. That is how I feel about universities and colleges ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN on their campuses. I am shouting here because I am totally disgusted with what I/we are seeing in the classrooms of higher learning. I lay the blame on lax, progressive (an oxymoron here) alt liberals who are pushing towards the edge of absolutely no free speech allowed by students or speakers. Parents, don’t send your sons and daughters to these institutions. Without free exchange of ideas on campus those will dry up quickly. End of problem. If it is a state campus it is not too bad yet, but check them out carefully regardless. Home schooling is becoming more prevalent, thankfully so. What will be next, Home College Courses? You can do a lot online which is a good thing educationally wise and money wise, but there are limitations. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE AND SOON.

• Kel57

April 22, 2018 at 5:17 pm

You are so right and well said.

3. Reynold Palmer

April 22, 2018 at 3:08 am

FB won’t let me Post this~

• Mary Kassel

April 22, 2018 at 3:40 am

Fartbook is part of the anti-free speech problem. Li’l Markie Suckabutt is a part of the whole “Destroy America” cabal, but the twitty little beta male doesn’t realize he is DOOMED by God Almighty. He and his cohorts don’t believe in the real God so they want nothing but personal power.

• jerseybadger

April 22, 2018 at 5:00 am

they wouldn’t let me either

• judy

April 22, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Facebook won’t let me post it either…I copied and pasted it!

• Charlene

April 23, 2018 at 4:09 am

I’ve written Senator Cruz about the blocking of articles from this website. He can add it to his list to smack Zuckerberg with!

4. Bill

April 22, 2018 at 3:24 am

This SH*T is out of control. I say reinstate the draft and make it apply only to college students.

• Mary Kassel

April 22, 2018 at 3:49 am

Make it apply to ALL 18 to 40 year-olds with NO recourse against hard-nosed US Marine DI’s from the pre-Iraq 1990 era – that’s before the sniveling wimps took over the military. Most of the men, so-called, in the last 40 years would never survive boot camp/basic training.

• Shelba J Holmes

April 22, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Great idea. Also, send these students off to a third world for about 2 years and it is possible that they will understand exactly how blessed we all are in this country – even with our imperfections. The education they get from such an experience would be 1,000 times better tha they are getting in our colleges and universities.

• DSF

April 22, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Your statement is a fabulous idea. I’ve said for many years we need to establish compulsory military service for the able bodied. Upon completion of high school every able bodied person should have to serve 2 years active service (no weekend warrior stuff) in a branch of their choice. If they choose to serve longer, then extend their commitment. I fully believe these two years after high school being spent in the military would give these people a chance to grow up a bit, make some more informed decisions on what they want to do with their lives and hopefully discourage the usual practice of going to college to party on their parent’s dime. Serving in the military would help them to focus and bear down on their studies once they get to school.

5. BoomerLady

April 22, 2018 at 4:01 am

The left is afraid of what any of their “opponents” has to say, which is silly because until they have their say, how can the students be absolutely sure of what they’re going to say. They only suspect it because of what they’ve been told by their professors.

I personally believe the students are afraid of any other opinion than their own. Their generation hasn’t accomplished anything of worth. And when they go against a black man who obviously has experienced racism if it is true that others discriminate against the color of ones skin, then Owens must have, but these students for some reason don’t believe that. It’s sad because I suspect what he wants to explain to them is how to survive and prosper in such a world to achieve the American dream in spite of how others treat him. If I were a black student, I would want to hear that because it will come in handy someday. So all I can believe is that racism doesn’t exist quite to the extent it once did, and learning this would upset the whole university movement that seeks to halt all dialogue and just stew in their own anger.

• Kel57

April 22, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Well said.

6. Disappointed

April 22, 2018 at 4:13 am

Pretty Twisted story….

7. Obbop

April 22, 2018 at 4:20 am

That was HIGH-QUALITY writing with that article above. Concise, smooth-flowing… A+ paper!!!

I am going to post links tho this article across the Web. The messages within the article are a must-read. If I was a college professor or an upper-level high school teacher the article would be passed out for all to read then discuss.

If I place a prominent link to this Web page I wonder if the powers-that-be of this site would hunt me down and beat me up if I copied and pasted the entire article in my general interest blog? I would make it prominent that the writing originates here.

8. Guido Nicaud

April 22, 2018 at 12:16 pm

I believe in this next generation. The few loud voices, who get the press coverage, are not indicative of the majority. We proved that with the last election. Keep up the good fight. We are exposing all the craziness and it is being dealt with.

9. Avery

April 22, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Why is Facebook blocking this article??

10. Mandy

April 22, 2018 at 7:32 pm

These audience doesn’t want a discussion and it is obvious.

11. SUZANNE

April 22, 2018 at 8:12 pm

IF THESE MIND CONTROLLED LITTLE MINORS DON’T LIKE THAT WHAT THIS BLACK MAN SAID, THEN THEY SHOULD PACK UP THEIR LITTLE BACK PACKS AND GO LIVE IN THE MIDDLE EAST OR RUSSIA OR CHINA…LET THEM EXPERIENCE WHAT THOSE PEOPLE EXPERIENCE. THE EDUCATION THEY ARE GETTING IS SLANTED SO LEFT AND THEIR PROFESSORS DON’T TEACH THEM HOW TO THINK CRITICALLY , THEY DEMAND THEY THINK THEIR WAY OR THEY WILL BE RIDICULED UNTIL THEY DO…..THEY A LAZY LITTLE TECHNOLOGICALLY BRAINWASHED BABIES THAT DO NOT GIVE A TINKERS DAMN ABOUT A SUCCESSFUL BLACK PERSON…THEY HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED INTO BELIEVING THAT THE BLACK PERSON CANNOT ACHIEVE MUCH…THEY ARE THE IGNORANT PEOPLE….NOT THE BLACK MAN WHO CAME TO ENGAGE IN A BETTER WAY……IDIOTS ALL.

12. Bonnie

April 22, 2018 at 8:50 pm

I’ve always thought colleges are a waste of time and money. They make students take courses they don’t need and meanwhile indoctrinate them politically. I’ve watched and heard complaints about it and how to get good grades from older, wiser students who knew better. I’ve also heard what students had to say about the wonderful trade schools where they could learn a trade from in a short, less expensive amount of time…even while holding down a job. The focus was on learning to do something useful that you chose.

13. Synickel

April 22, 2018 at 10:52 pm

This generation of little asshats are a lost cause, sorry to say.

• Charlene

April 23, 2018 at 4:04 am

Though I wouldn’t quite put it that way, I do agree. Have they realized it’s their generation that’s shooting people? Have they looked in a mirror when they’re shouting profanities? The path to a better world starts with each and every one of us. And it starts with how we treat others.
      Is this a result of participation trophies?

14. Charlene

April 23, 2018 at 4:06 am

I was just filling out a census, and it asked me what I thought was THE most important issue facing our nation today. The assault on free speech was my answer. If we’re not free to say what we think, are we free at all?
    You don’t have the right to shut down my rights, you have the right to walk away, to not participate, to change the channel, but you do not have a right to shut me up.