Welfare PISSED After President Trump Requiring “Work for Welfare.” Do You Support the Rule?

President Donald Trump’s 2018 budget will save $190 billion over the next ten years by requiring able-bodied adults to work to receive food stamps.

President Trump wrote in his letter to Congress, “We must reform our welfare system so that it does not discourage able-bodied adults from working, which takes away scarce resources from those in real need. Work must be the center of our social policy.”

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said at a press conference, “If you’re on food stamps and you’re able-bodied, then we need you to go to work.”

The number of recipients on food stamps skyrocketed recently, 50 million Americans now receive food stamps and use Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards at grocery or convenience store to buy food and drinks. The 50 million citizens on food stamps amount to 15 percent of the population, a substantial increase from the 17 million Americans who received food stamps in 2000.

Food stamps, officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), cost taxpayers more than $83 billion a year. The government remains unable to rein in costs, because the government does not have statistics as to how much food stamp recipients spend on kitchen staples such as meat and vegetables, compared to soda, candy, and potato chips.

A 2011 study confirmed that food stamp recipients spend more money on candy compared to any other food item.

Robert Rector, a welfare expert at the Heritage Foundation, said that requiring work for food stamps was at the “core” of welfare reform in the 1990s. President Trump is “picking the gauntlet off the ground where the Republican party dropped it.”

Trump’s budget would require states to fund one dollar for every four dollars the federal government spends on food stamps.

Rector said, “It’s like Chinese funeral money. They just burn it.”

Many states have work requirements for food stamps. However, the Obama administration granted states waivers during the recession, and many states continue to use waivers for the food stamp requirements.

In 2014, Maine dropped its waiver for work requirements, and required everyone who could work and did not have dependents to either get employment for at least 20 hours a week, enter job-training programs, or volunteer a minimum of 24 hours a month.

Before Maine dropped its waiver in 2014, there were 13,332 food stamp recipients. By March 2015, the number of food stamp recipients dropped by 80 percent, to 2,678 recipients who decided to get a job, participate in job training, or volunteer. Roughly 9,000 people dropped out of the program, leading many analysts to observe that many of those food stamp recipients worked off the books and used food stamps to save money for other expenses. Others stipulated that many became so dependent on government welfare that they could not volunteer 24 hours a month, or roughly one hour of work per day.

Some studies estimate that 4.7 million Americans receive food stamps who are able-bodied, not elderly, and do not have children or dependents. Requiring work for food stamps would save the country $8.4 billion every year.

“We are no longer going to measure compassion by the number of people on these programs,” Mulvaney said. “We’re going to measure compassion by how many people we can get off these programs.”

President Donald Trump said during his inauguration speech, “We will get our people off of welfare and back to work – rebuilding our country with American hands and American labor.”

1. Sue May

May 26, 2017 at 12:31 am

I have seen so many getting food stamps and EBT benefits that are able to work. I have seen senior persons eating crackers and Vienna sausage and calling it a meal because they don’t draw enough to live on. It simply is not fair!!!

• Rowena Bowers

May 26, 2017 at 2:56 am

There are many people deserving it,but there also many people not deserving it. They are hopefully getting rid of the ones that are taking advantage if the system. I was cashier in grocery many years and know a lot about this!!

• Barbara

May 26, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Me, too. Worked in many grocery stores. I remember a woman who wouldn’t or couldn’t buy dog food for her dog so she went back to the meat counter and bought her dogs a heap of steaks.

• Judy

May 26, 2017 at 11:17 pm

That’s the truth.

• Patricia

May 27, 2017 at 8:40 am

Yes why not work for what you get. Tied of the bums who are too lazy to work. I and my husband have worked all our lives. Of course we were just poor country kids who had to work to be able to live NO free hand outs for us

• Dawn

May 31, 2017 at 2:04 am

I agree, some people do need it but I know some people with kids that do not work because they have to pay a sitter.Poor excuse in my eyes.. Lazy.

• Sherry

June 24, 2017 at 1:30 am

My daughter would have loved to work to supplement her husband’s income, but by the time she’d to pay for childcare so she could work, it wouldn’t really have helped. Childcare is a huge expense!

• Paula swim

May 31, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Yes every one should have to work i’m looking at the survey if they are able to spread their legs and have babies just so they can get more welfare Morphis stamps then I need to work they are no better than anybody else I know emigrants she get any type of food stamps or welfare whatsoever no help at all

• Shelly Emerson

June 14, 2017 at 3:29 pm

I agree, I receive food stamps myself $16.00 monthly. but I use it as a last resort knowing it builds from month to month. Thinking of using what is in my bank account first I do what I can to not take advantage of the government. I receive Social Security for my disability and am working on Job Development.

• Barbara

May 26, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Before they had food stamps, the elderly used to eat cat food.

• Doris

May 26, 2017 at 6:11 pm

I am a senior and live around 9,000 seniors. I think if a senior is eating cat food its because they are in a state of Dementia or Alzheimer. There is fresh food given out to seniors, meals driven to their house that would be given to them free if need be, there are food banks. I shop at 99c store and not at expensive grocery stores. One just have to ask or have and advocate that are available for all seniors.

• Cindy Grotelueschen

May 27, 2017 at 10:37 pm

That’s rediculous! For the price of dog or cat food you could buy cans of soup, Mac n cheese, bread and even peanut butter when on sale! I can name more for the same price or less than pet food!

• MARIE

May 31, 2017 at 9:26 am

the cat food has more nutrition than the stuff you mentioned Cindy.. its sad but a fact.

• Nanci Costa

May 26, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I am 82 yrs. old and can not afford to buy the food I need to eat. I have expensive and can not live a good life. I have worked for my ss but I can not live on it. The government needs to give back all the money they stole from us and increase our ss we deserve it.

• Donna

June 11, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Social security my. It be enough to live on but it was never meant to be your only source of income in retirement. The benefits are not based on what you paid in anymore. The benefits are substantially higher than what anyone would be entitled if the system was just based on money collected. In the 1960s the democrats under Johnson saw 15 workers for every retiree so they raised the benefits to buy the votes of the elderly. Now there are only 1.5 worker per retiree and workers pay in way more than they will ever collect. That is why social security is now partially taxable…..people receiving benefits are getting money that is welfare in essence.

• Laura

May 30, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I work in a county hospital and see many people that work full time but do not make enough money to feed themselves or their families! Just because a person receives food stamps does not mean that they are NOT WORKING. Shame on Trump.

• John

May 31, 2017 at 9:31 am

Why shame? Thats all hes requiring…. so they would be good to go! My only question is in a situation where you have a single mother with kids, or a couple with kids, do they all have to work? Childcare is often provided by the state and costs MUCH more than food stamps…The law around here used to be that if the man was willing to work the womans hours (or vice versa i guess) she could stay home with the kids. We exercised that option because my wife is disabled but has never applied for ssi. Now ive had a heart attack and lost my main income but have gone back to work at a lower paying job and the way it looks we may end up on them again, dont want her having to try to work, she just cant. POTS, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.. she stands up, her heart rate doubles, she passes out. No bueno.

• William hudson

May 31, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Obviously did not read the article or the bill or see the speech he is not talking about people that are working and receiving supplemental food stamps. but those are sitting on their a** able to work-and expecting the government taxpayers to Dole out money so they can sit and do-nothing. Can’t tell you the Mana times I’ve seen people driving A Mercedes or and escalate or BMW, wearing Designer clothing with bling bling out the a**, elaborately done nails and hair and shopping for steaks lobster and junk food and pay with an EBT card and then turn around on a second purchase whip out $100 bills to buy cigarettes and alcohol. Personally I’ve been working since I was 15 years-old and now 52 and I cannot afford to drive a car-like that nor buy steak and lobster

• Alma

June 24, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Laura, why shame on PRESIDENT TRUMP? You must know that alot of lazy people take advantage of the system. Those are the ones he means.

• DC

May 31, 2017 at 6:11 am

Many of them have free time and start causing a lot of trouble for neighbors, family…

• Cole

May 31, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I agree w u for the eldery, their food does need to b subsided. My idea puts a cap on what can b bought on snap program (no steaks, seafood, soda, candy ect.) Instead it should b beans, bread, flour, sugar, veggies, milk ect. Perhaps classes on making bread, beans and cooking wholesome meals on a few dollars. And of course testing for drugs and work programs (how to look for a job).

• Diane

June 1, 2017 at 3:44 am

Agreed….I have seen way more than this. Lazy people stealing from those who work for a living. If they have a legitimate need that is one thing, but to many scammers on it. Get them off!

• Janna Velek

June 25, 2017 at 7:54 pm

And people on disability!! My sister’s been on disability for 5 years now. She’s stronger than me and has no real issues if she’d drop 75l-100lbs. Plus she was told to buy bigger shoes (8s) but continues to stuff her foot in a 6 1/2. A niece of mine has had 3 kids by the same guy. Tax payers have paid for all of the. Why get married? Can’t get assistance if ur honest. We need to start turning them in and something needs to get done. She CAN work.
      I feel better now. Yes, I totally support work for welfare. Really? There should be NO dirty streets in our country. Pay them minimum wage, Cty back on welfare.

2. Wallace Long

May 26, 2017 at 12:37 am

They could solve two problems by using the able bodied welfare recipients to build the wall at the border. We could call it the “border peace corps”!

• Judy maddox

May 26, 2017 at 2:27 am

I like you idea#

• Glen

May 26, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Great idea

3. Kathy

May 26, 2017 at 1:04 am

at Walmart, line held up 1/2 hr. Woman couldn’t speak English, she was Muslim. Kept trying to use her bet card. No matter what password she was putting in it never worked. People were irritated, I moved one line over. Finally from anger of people shulled out envelope of cash. Then another Muslim woman checked out an overflowing cart of cases of Pepsi and nothing else and they were not on sale. Im sure they used them all n their store. How can you get bet card being business owner. It totally aggravates me

• Susan

May 26, 2017 at 1:50 am

Kathy- you are correct in wondering how this is happening. Democrats and Left think EBT and food stamps are for only the disabled and poor. If that were true then we would NOT be in so much debt. All the Muslim refugees come here and have their husband with 4 wives and 26 children get welfare and sign up for Medicaid. All while living in 300,000 value house and driving expensive cars. The Americans are paying for this while we work and literally just get by paycheck to paycheck. See article on Internet about Dearborn, Mi. This is happening all over US and people do Not understand the truth. Obama set them up to infiltrate while we take care of them. It needs to stop with Trump and the Obamallah Judges need impeached. We are not talking small scale fraud here. Obama has the right people in the right places fighting for his agenda to be carried out and half don’t realize the magnitude of fraud they are helping and enabling. Ignorance will kill America and wipe away our Demicracy.

• Nanci Costa

May 26, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Why do the Muslim that come over her get more money from the government that the people on ss gets? We worked for our ss they did not. It is not right.

• Cindy

May 27, 2017 at 4:25 am

KATHY: What is a BET card? I thought you meant EBT, but then you typed it again BET. It’s EBT Electronic Benefit Transfer.

• Amy

May 28, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Philadelphia suburbs? Or just outside Boulder, Seattle, or Cook County, IL? Those areas, and several in CA, have a tax on soda and some other beverages. People stock up in nearby stores. That could be why they were buying Pepsi and nothing else.

• Donna

May 30, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Me too!

4. Rita

May 26, 2017 at 1:12 am

Worked from age sixteen until I had to retire for health reasons when I was 68 yrs old…..I receive $1321.00 @ month from social security. I can’t work due to a stroke and massive brain surgery.
    I paid into the fund all those yrs. And illegal immigrants,corruption in Washington,that is the main reason all the money reserved for retirement, was used to cover all the expenses of politicians that wasted it.Creeps!
    Now I am living in such meager standards because I can not afford a decent lifestyle.
    Thx for listening.q

• judy

June 11, 2017 at 1:40 pm

You are absolutely correct.

5. Rita McQuearry

May 26, 2017 at 1:17 am

Thx for listening.q

6. Dave

May 26, 2017 at 1:22 am

Many years ago, them Govenor Thompson of Wisconsin implemented a work requirements for welfare . If I recall, it was fairly successful. Not quite sure what happened to the program, can only guess that a liberal administration canned it. I live in DC, where welfare fraud is rampant. No one has the courage to tackle the issue. Hoping that Pres. Trump will implement meaningful work requirement reforms.? There are so many federally funded job training programs, that are also subject to abuse.,

7. Cynthia M

May 26, 2017 at 1:29 am

People use to get commodities instead of food stamps their would be a designated place in each parish and once a month people that needed help and qualified for the food program would go to this place and get boxes of food already boxed there would be beans, rice, canned meat, powdered milk, cheese, fruit juice, potatoes, flour and cornmeal, shortening, peanut butter all kind of staples no steak no seafood no cokes or cookies or candy they cooked the kids cakes and cookies so this way they got what they needed not what they wanted, this is how it should be now no food stamps maybe then no all but some might go out and find a job so they can have food of their choosing.

8. Shirley Gardner

May 26, 2017 at 1:37 am

I think it’s a great idea it used to be that way when my husband who was a coal miner was on strike he had to go out and pick up litter off the side of the roads so we could get food stamps of course that way back in1975 my how things have changed so yes I agree

9. Leigh

May 26, 2017 at 1:43 am

I dont know what to think on this Im disabled and cant work

• Susan

May 26, 2017 at 2:03 am

Disabled and can’t work must still receive benefits because you are truly disabled and can’t work Most likely. Credible doctor evaluation and truthful paperwork completed honestly. You most likely worked in your life and contributed. This is nothing to be ashamed of. It is the many other scenarios of abuse and fraud everyone needs to be concerned about because it affect you. The refugee and 26 kids and 4 wives getting welfare and Medicaid is Not a Democracy but a scam shoved down the American people’s throats. Research Dearborn micihigan on internet. Also free food housing healthcare for single moms who keep having kids while claiming single and boyfriend lives with them. Being married gets them Less benefits. Undocumented parents giving birth to many children here is causing welfare to rise because those kids get everything free. The kids are citizens. Too much fraud that American workers are paying for. This is why healthcare went up sky high. On the backs of middle class citizens to bare.

• Ava

June 1, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Susan, we have at least 50% young people, living like that hear in WV.the girls get pregnant,and the boyfriend moves in and will not work.They go out and steal,and they are on drugs.but they keep getting pregnant and keep getting welfare.

• Richard

May 26, 2017 at 2:11 am

Oh, I am sure there is something you can do, after all you have proven computer skills by making a comment.

• Marie

May 31, 2017 at 9:37 am

doesnt mean she can focus for a meaningful amount of time, or that she can type for long periods because she could be bed bound like me and still make some comments before her arms are too tired and her fingers cramp up.

• Allen

May 31, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Richard did you notice Rita stated she was 68 years old and had been working since age 16,I don’t think this applies to her.This is geared towards people taking avantage of the system, and there is plenty of corruption in this entilment program. This has to be done to protect the people that need help the most !!

• Me

May 26, 2017 at 2:59 am

It said able bodies. People that are abusing the system. Nothing major wrong with them.

• pat

May 26, 2017 at 4:47 am

Being disabled you will NOT be required to work. This is geared towards able body people who can and should be working.

• Roberta Tate

May 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Them you are untitled my dear.

• Joe

May 26, 2017 at 3:15 pm

then it will not effect you….only going to apply to those who are capable, able, but refuse to work because they are to lazy to they milk the system making it difficult for people with disabilities to receive adequate benefits.

• Texas Girl

May 26, 2017 at 4:32 pm

There are MANY computer jobs out there for the disabled. I have a nephew that is paralyzed from a car accident. He works a full time job as a welder…in his well chair….

• Barbara

May 26, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I am disabled with severe spinal pain from spinal stenosis, am 69 and can’t even get anything for the pain. And they say my back is sliding out of place. How does one’s back slide out of place? If I could get something for the pain, I’d find something to do.

• Bonnie

May 27, 2017 at 2:13 am

They won’t take your ebt card from you! You shouldn’t be working with all that going on! If you have children they also should be helping you in any way, shape or form! God Bless You!

• Sammye Rosenlund

May 30, 2017 at 11:56 pm

Then Barbara you are not able bodied. You should get your food stamps..

• Tc

May 26, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Maybe you could work using your computer

• MBH

May 30, 2017 at 4:53 pm

There are many disabled people who work, and glad to be productive. Depending on the disability, there are state programs that should be available to help you retrain for a meaningful job.

10. Frances Thompson

May 26, 2017 at 2:58 am

If I have to work sick or not they should to no more free ride off of the middle class.or sitting at the pool while I sweat at my job.on a nice day.Good is about time

11. Marilin Walton

May 26, 2017 at 3:25 am

Pennsylvania has had this rule for years now. All recipients must attend a job training program in order to receive benefits. So why would they be pissed if this has been the rule for a while. This is nothing new!

12. Carole

May 26, 2017 at 5:09 am

The idea that the more kids you have, the more welfare you get needs to be reformed. Ppl keep having more and more kids JUST TO collect benefits.

• Ava

June 1, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Carole,I agree with you. I believe if you are still on welfare, after your 2nd baby,the Doctors should do a Tubalcation on her.

13. Donnalee Clubb

May 26, 2017 at 6:18 am

I sort of agree with this, but I kind of don’t too. I mean if I was on Welfare I’d want to spend every moment looking for a job or finding a short six month or less school to take to get a job. If I had to work, not only would I be working for the safety net I paid my taxes toward in case I might have to use it, but it would take time away from the job search. It would not be my goal to stay on welfare, but to get off as fast as I could.

14. Carla

May 26, 2017 at 7:16 am

This is for the abled body men that live off their domestic partners,
    food stamps, because they are too lazy to work. Oh yeah the welfare
    checks also.
    When someone told me once that HE would NOT work for minimum
    wage, I blew up, he was living off the welfare check that belonged to
    his partner and her children. He was sitting in a bar when he said this.

• Sandy

May 26, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Not sure the new rule would even affect him as he is not getting his own stamps; he is living off someone, like a parasite. I believe in a hand up not a hand out.

• mililuda

May 27, 2017 at 12:31 am

I know people who lie and say they are separated from their spouse or significant other so they can get medicaid and food stamps. Makes me so mad! They are bringing in that money s nd their spouse is bringing in his/her wage also.

• Bonnie

May 27, 2017 at 2:16 am

Their dumb asses, they can make more money in a week than what their partner and kids get in a month! Idle hands are the devils work!

15. David Decker

May 26, 2017 at 7:29 am

I hope to collect welfare and work you must prove you are a citizen of the United States. Not an illegal immigrant

16. Alyssa

May 26, 2017 at 7:59 am

I am disabled I was in a car accident and I hurt my back very bad. I have five Torrent disc in my back . I have some small test and my not like that were hurt in the accident and also which causes me to have very bad migraine headache’s which also makes me feel very ill . My husband has had three strokes and he is also blind to macular did generation . I am not supposed to lift anything at all because I broke my Wrist in the accident so I had pains in my wrist have numbness in my fingers. Both me and my husband have worked for many years . In our tax money has paid into the welfare system . For many years . There are many people that have worked her ass off and paid into the welfare system with their taxes. And there are always people who take advantage of this to which is bullshit . My husband’s daughter in law who thinks that she is A owned welfare . Pisses me off . Because she is the most useless human being on the planet who thinks that everybody owes her a free ride . Guess what we don’t owe her nothing . And there are also people who get very little and Food Stamps And there are also people who get very little in Food Stamps a month .
    Maybe people should need to stop judging others .

17. Cheryl

May 26, 2017 at 10:29 am

I agree that there’ are people who need it but I have also seen it abused. As a struggling person who,like many others has trouble making my enough to pay my bills believe it does need to change.

18. Vjollca

May 26, 2017 at 10:49 am

I agree hundred percent . Food stamps should get people required for that . Not lazy People want to stay home play cards , smoke ……and we have to pay for that . When I came this country 16 years a go people used to tell me you can get FS but never ever I got that because I decide to work $5.75 for hours and go to school to support my family . My husband used to do 2 jobs. No I’m proud American . Everywhere you have to work to support family and yourself if you’re not disable .

19. ANNA

May 26, 2017 at 11:53 am

Yes I totally agree with this plan. And I think Mr. Long is very smart to suggest able bodied men on welfare now go to work building the wall at our borders.

20. Normie Dalton

May 26, 2017 at 11:59 am

I get up every morning to go to work so people needing a helping hand can get it. Is it too much to ask they get out of bed and do something for the rest of us to show their appreciation? Nobody should be getting a free ride!

21. PHYLLIS LYNCH

May 26, 2017 at 12:10 pm

THANK YOU MY PRESIDENT. WE THE PEOPLE ARE TIRED OF GOING SHOPPING AND SEEING PEOPLE FILL UP TWO CARTS FULL OF RICH,POOR NUTRITIONAL FOOD AND THEN PAY WITH A EBT OR STAMPS. hOW ABOUT THE mUSLIN WHO HAS 4 WIVES AND 23 CHILDREN AND THEY ALL GET WELFARE ,HOUSE,AND EVERYTHING THEY CAN STEAL FROM US THE WORKING FORCE. YOU GO FOR THE TRUMP , PRESIDENT TRUMP.

22. Joan McDonald

May 26, 2017 at 12:11 pm

I have a question the people that you’re putting to work for so many hours a week if they’re on food stamps do they work for free for the company or does the company get paid or is the government paying for them to work are they taking jobs away from people who were doing these jobs and now the companies getting them for free so they’re letting go of the people that have been working something don’t seem right with this program to me ?

• Cat Green

May 26, 2017 at 2:40 pm

They work for a compay just like you. If they make enough money..they don’t NEED food stamps right!? If they still need a supplement then that is given…maybe because they have a job the amount will not be as great and the taxpayers won’t have such a big burden!!

• Pam

May 26, 2017 at 3:03 pm

They get a job like everyone else! There are lots of places hiring and it would be a paid job so then they can pay for their own food like we do.

23. Sherry

May 26, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I know someone who was disqualified from receiving FS because she didn’t have a steady income. Yep, right here in Texas. If she had an income she wouldn’t need FS!! It’s a family member so I won’t say her name. She’s almost crippled from arthritis but doesn’t have money or insurance to go to a doctor for the proper diagnosis. So far the courts have done nothing to the ex that will not pay child support. Him and his new wife are committing three different types of fraud and will hopefully be in jail soon. He is thousands behind and hiding his income. So her and her child do without on a daily basis.

24. Roberta Tate

May 26, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I absolutely agree with president trumps agenda on welfare we spend billions on these lazy people that take advantage of our hard earned money sit on there asses , love in subsidized housing with there felon boyfriends add him to the welfare bill, or get their food stamps cards sell them for drugs or get their money checks and get there hair done, nails, but alcohol go to the club not a penny of what it was intended for Go’s to the right place, then bitch because they don’t get enough, it’s about time this stopped I for one are getting tired of these entitlement people getting something for nothing, and the people that really need the help can’t get it and it needs to stop, and another thing that really pisses me off is these low life’s get on welfare because they can’t manage without life then have 2 or3 more kids there welfare goes up , well if you can’t afford to keep them when you first go on welfare why in the hell are you having more, screwing is not an illness go to dam work and earn your own money.

• Norma Kardt

May 26, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Fantastic news. So many out there just using the system that are able to work.

• Barbara

May 26, 2017 at 5:24 pm

They have more kids to get more money and then they spend it on themselves and the kids are lucky if they get anything. That’s why they should give them WIC for the kids.

25. Steven Bowers

May 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

It should be changed to a pick 1 program. Either welfare or food stamps but not both unless there’s concrete evidence that they are totally disabled. Theres people getting food stamps, wefare and social security. Someting has to change especially when elderly that worked all their lives and can’t get by on social security alome. Elderly shouldn’t have to pay so much for their prescription meds either. I waswas once told by a great mam that if you ever worked a day in your life your screwed.

26. Ken

May 26, 2017 at 2:03 pm

If you are able, you should work for what you need. Only seems right to me.

27. Barbara

May 26, 2017 at 4:41 pm

If they would lower the income amount to say $10,000 a year and take all the ILLEGALS, MUSLIMS AND REFUGEES OFF OF EBT, THEN THERE WOULD BE PLENTY LEFT FOR THE POOR, DISABLED AND ELDERLY.

• Barbara

May 26, 2017 at 5:11 pm

I wanted to add that they should give WIC to the children. I wouldn’t want the children to starve.

28. Bill Franklin

May 26, 2017 at 5:20 pm

It’s about time someone got tough on welfare. Welfare should be be a limited privilege of 24 months per person per lifetime. I worked 50 years of my life since the age of 12 and never took unemployment. Welfare comes out of our Social Security Fund and is draining it rapidly with all the free housing, foodstamps, medicare, medicaid every refugee that comes to America receives. About time America’s freeloaders start earning it.

• Barbara

May 26, 2017 at 5:33 pm

No, it doesn’t come out of the Social Security Fund. It comes out of your taxes. Obama stole 800 Billion dollars out of it and they are also giving it to the Illegal aliens who didn’t pay a dime into it.

• Frannie Albers

May 30, 2017 at 5:25 am

Sorry. But yes they was taking from. Social. Security. Obama stole from our SS all the Damn time

29. Joan

May 26, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I’m disabled, age 53. SSDI doesn’t pay me much either. I qualify for $13 a month in food stamps. Kinda laughable, I find I save my food stamps for 2-3 months and then use them for meat. I also have a daughter that is mentally challenged, she isn’t eligible for food stamps because she gets SSI. She gets less money than I do. Those who need it, can’t get them.

30. Mike Douglas

May 26, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Since cable television runs under government property, no household receiving welfare should be allowed to have it.

31. Mike Douglas

May 26, 2017 at 5:39 pm

The internet is available at the public library, Starbucks, etc.

32. judy

May 26, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Well said Mr Trump. We have the same problem in South Africa. People just want handouts all the time. The biggest mistake in SA was the introduction of child grants.

33. Nanci Costa

May 26, 2017 at 5:55 pm

I agree. Stop giving away tax money on Muslim. They came over here they can work like the rest of us had to..

34. Rebecca Lewis

May 26, 2017 at 7:26 pm

I think he is doing a great job with this there are so many people on food stamps driving nice cars big flashy rims carrying Michael kore an coach purses if you can aford shit like that than your ass dont need food stamps people go in there an apply for that an look like they won the lotto get off your ass an get a fucking job stop selling drugs that aint no job an you get 700 dollars in stamps an some of the kids you put on there aint even yours

35. Tabitha

May 26, 2017 at 9:30 pm

I agree with President Trump, however I went back to college to open up higher paying opertunitys. In an effort to focus on my education, I did not want to work, this disqualified me from EBT. When I did get a part time job they would they still would not allow me to have any SNAP because my employer only needed me 15 hours a week? I believe that people carrying a full load should be entitled to some food stamps.

36. DOT ANDERSON

May 26, 2017 at 9:42 pm

NO WORK NO PAY OR FOOD STAMPS, FREE HEALTH INSURANCE, NOTHING. DOT ANDERSSON

37. Kimberly M.

May 26, 2017 at 10:21 pm

It is about time that someone put their foot down and spoke about the need for change in the SNAP program. I certainly agree that if you are able-bodied to work then you don’t need to be on food stamps. Thank you Donald Trump for making this change that has been needed so desperately for so long!

• Cheryl

May 30, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Amen to that one!! I am so proud of our President. FINALLY, we have someone that is uplifting this country. We don’t have a president that makes apology tours or bows to the leaders of other countries. He has backbone, and he’s not afraid to say what needs to be said. The whiners out there just can’t stand the fact that he is president and keep having their temper tantrums!

38. Susan

May 27, 2017 at 12:03 am

I absolutely support it! I received a devastating diagnosis 7 years ago, and after working 40 years, was turned down when I couldn’t work at all. I have been working ill a great deal within that time up to now because bills have to be paid. While people have collected disability and welfare illegally, and not wanting to work,I am forcing myself to go to work sick and feel like I have no other choice. Coming up on retirement age, and wondering how I can retire when I have spent so much on medical and hospital bills. It’s time these benefits are reserved or citizens who have tried their best to maintain work, but need the benefits.This has been a problem way too long!

39. Josephine Pinzel

May 27, 2017 at 1:24 am

I am a disabled paramedic who worked at that job for many years. I live on ssd I can pay my bills but am left with 200 dollars a month for medical coverage and prescriptions food and car gas. I am not eligible for food stamps. My neighbor has a business no bills to worry about because their income is enough and they get food stamps 250 dollars a month worth. It is really not fair food stamps could be a great help to me I could make ends meet if I could get even 100 dollars worth but no I can’t get them.

40. Shirley winstead

May 27, 2017 at 3:23 am

I think they need to bring Jobs back to the u.s and people can go back to work. There are alot of people that can’t read or spell good that could work but they will not give them a Job there are Job out people can do. They need to stop makeing people have Ged to go to work that would help alot. They turn you down on Jobs that you don’t need a Ged for. I don’t think they need to cut food stamps for kids in school that can’t buy there food and that what they are going to do.

41. Cindy

May 27, 2017 at 4:27 am

People, listen up. Welfare IS NOT food stamps! Get a grip. No one that is disabled will lose theirs. ONLY ABLE BODIED people, like the lazy illegals, will lose WELFARE. Notice I did not say food stamps.

This is fake news. Not even on Trump’s WALL.

42. Robert Coop

May 27, 2017 at 5:04 pm

SNAP program should allow ONLY Meat and Vegetables to be purchased. No cake, candy, soda, chips and certainly not any precooked or deli items.
    And at 70 years old I work so these parasites can live better then I do.

• Marie

May 31, 2017 at 9:50 am

wait, you are against poor people buying bologna? that should be filed under “meat” like hotdogs… even with foodstamps many cant afford good meat very often, even chicken has gone up in price.

43. gailcarroll

May 28, 2017 at 8:45 pm

about time

44. PAMELA HEALY

May 28, 2017 at 11:49 pm

IT’S TIME TO GO BACK TO WORK. SICK AND TIRED OF SUPPORTING “LAZY – LOW LIFES ANYMORE !!! PRESIDENT TRUMP IS DOING THE RIGHT THINGS. WE HAVE TO BUDGET WISELY !!!

45. Matilda

May 29, 2017 at 10:05 pm

You erased my comments,you can be very bias,I refuse to rewrite,all I’ll say is I’am very proud of the First Lady n our President made me proud on this trip,they represent us n did great! I had much more said but you erased it so we can’t really say what we want,I’am not going to waste my time anymore!

46. Roberta Tate

May 30, 2017 at 3:20 am

Make them babies making machines go to work to keep their own kids , if they don’t know who the father are then we can’t support them , if they need welfare then why are they having more kids, they go get there nails done , hair done , sell food stamps to get drug money, go to the club with the money the government gives them , dam living the high life, well now that shits going to stop ,having kids is not a reason for welfare keep your legs closed, go to work like everyone else does, we are tired of you taking money out our pockets get a job. Those who are untitled to get help them I don’t have a problem believe me,.

• Melanie

May 30, 2017 at 3:45 am

Except for the truly disabled you should work or starve.

47. Paula

May 30, 2017 at 10:27 am

I absolutely agree with this! I am particially able to work with seizures ad severe pain in back and hips but I know I have to get up and go every morning. When I see these people in grocery line with row of kids like door steps .leading to 4 or more then go in and get 2 carts of snacks candy and soda with the food stamps, meaning money we pay in; it ought to be illegal because if you know the cost of children and families that you should & would have to pay out there would be a lot less kids in that line. I think that we should able to say where our tax dollar could/should be used.if people cannot afford the first child they should have to not be allowed to have another one. Give them birth control instead of food stamps and Medicaid.

48. Joseph J Santacroce

May 30, 2017 at 10:49 am

I agree with just about EVERYONE who posted here…they take our money and buy cars and booze and smokes…vacations as well…MOST are healthy and physically able to work. just lazy …part of the “Y” group…y should i work y should i not have a nice house y should i not be allowed to go to free school y this y that .. i have worked since i was 15 years old..i earned everything i own. “Y” should they not be made to work??? Even if it is just sweeping the streets…picking up on the parkways..WHATEVER it is they should have to show something better for collecting food stamps and welfare…if they have babies while they are collecting OUR TAX money then that family should NOT be allowed to collect $$…same goes for illegals…have the baby send them ALL back to where they came from…why should we support them with OUR TAX money…i would rather see it go to seniors that need it…i bet the seniors can prove they need it to survive..and illegals should NOT be given any spcl preference in the way of health care or starting a business…this can go on and on but i will stop here..if you are an AMERICAN that pays their tax you know EXACTLY where this is going and has come from…just read the above comments and you ALL get the picture…we are giving our $$ to the WRONG people

49. PATRICIA

May 30, 2017 at 10:51 am

I THINK THIS NEW WORK FOR WELFARE BILL SHOULD ALSO BE FOR WOMEN WHO HAVE CHILDREN. IF YOU GOT PREGNANT THERE MUST BE A MAN AROUND SOMEWHERE AND IF YOU CAN’T FIND A RELATIVE OR HUSBAND OR BOYFRIEND TO WATCH YOUR KIDS THEN HIRE SOMEONE AFTER YOU GET A JOB. REFUGEES AND MUSLIMS, IN GENERAL, ARE ALL ON WELFARE AND SINCE THEY ALL HAVE MULTIPLE KIDS THEN THEY WILL BE ON WELFARE UNTIL THEIR TOO OLD TO CONCEIVE.

50. Roger Gay

May 30, 2017 at 1:49 pm

That was Clinton’s deal; following up on the short term popularity of Reagan’s welfare reforms. None of it ever worked worth a shit. It was mostly fake anyways. And it costs taxpayers billions upon billions extra every year just to pay off the cronies that actually invented the reforms.

51. Elaine Good

May 30, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Maine has a great system. My brother was Paralyzed from his Neck down back in 1956 with Polio , he had to sleep sitting up because he could only use one
    Ung. He worked everyday until the day he died. These people can walk and talk move there hands to talk on the phone. They can work!!!!

52. PHILLIP BAUGHMAN

May 30, 2017 at 4:51 pm

i agree that anyone that is able to work but is to lazy to work weather they have children or not should not get one penny of help from the goverment. i say let them work or starve.

53. Tom

May 30, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Yeppppppppppp!!!

54. Janice

May 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm

I agree with this “work for welfare.” Program.

55. tom watson

May 30, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Hell Yes. It will take a generation to get welfare scabs ( not all are are physically able, but a good % are ) to hold their jobs, and get pride back in themselves, while supporting the country, and STOPPING ME AND OTHERS PAYING YOUR WAY. Do it yourself.

56. Shirley Swenson

May 30, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Any able bodied person living in the good old USA should have to work to support themselves and any family member or children they create. Also I’m in favor of building a wall to protect our borders, let non citizens come in thru a system already set up for immigrants to come into our country legally.

57. Dennis

May 30, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Ya I agree with the rest of these hard working people ! It’s not fair that people keep having more kids that can’t even pay for themselves to live and they’re have lots of kids make them starve

58. Nancy

May 31, 2017 at 3:42 am

I believe this is Chinese proverb. ” Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, you feed him for a life.”

59. DEBORAH JONES

May 31, 2017 at 3:45 am

There are so so many people out there getting food stamps, and help on their bills that are just plain too lazy to work. People not working are getting food stamps and turning around and selling them for half the price. the government needs to put a halt to all this stuff going on. I saw a lady go through line at a Food City and I over heard her saying to the lady with her – “yea I got 300.00 worth of food stamps for only 150.00……….. and she looked as able to work as anyone. this is so so not fair. I think their picture should have to be on the Food Stamps when they go through line. This is not right. Yes Donald Trump should do something about this.

60. ric

May 31, 2017 at 12:44 pm

this could be the opportunity to solve two problems. First getting people to earn their tax paid benefits, but also it answers the question about who will do the work, if we stop illegal immigration.

61. BigMG

May 31, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Getting paid to screw and play video games?

62. Angelica Polyak

May 31, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I believe that Trump is doing the right thing . Bravo . The people coming from Russia, wearing diamond rings, fur coats and going to expensive restaurants , are on welfare because they declare zero dollars . I’ve seen others who are using food steps while all the cash , homes and other valuable things are transferred on they’re children ‘s names . I would be so scare to work the system like they do .. It’s a shame . Let the people who don’t have what to eat , veterans, soldiers who gave they’re life’s to this country have the opportunities to get help . Let the money go to the right people .

63. Barbara Calandra

June 1, 2017 at 2:29 am

Welfare, Government Aid, Government Assistance, whatever you want to call it was NEVER designed to support generation after generation of lazy people who didn’t want to work. Why do you think a lot of these people had more children than they could count? Welfare was set up to help someone in dire need of assistance, but only until they got a job, a place to live and food for their bellies. A time limit needs to be put on this so it can no longer be abused. Also each person receiving assistance should be limited as to how many times they can apply. Get off the booze, get off drugs, get a job and you will discover you have self esteem and a reason for living.

64. Maureen

June 1, 2017 at 6:52 am

We have all seen the abuses, we need to reign in the takers that can and should work. I think if you can afford tattoos and piercings, buy your own food. If people start collecting welfare, I think they should not be allowed to enter additional children, you start with a mother and two kids, welfare ends when the youngest of those 2 turn age 6. Some people have kids to get benefits and many have the father in the low income housing, never marry and continue to have more and more kids. Just as I would like the car they are driving to be safe but noy a new car because it makes no sense. I am retired and get SS only and drive a 2001 Camry. There has to be other measures taken too, like drug screening.

65. Edward Moyers

June 1, 2017 at 8:10 am

well the bible says if a person does not work.. they dont need to eat

66. Jean Hink

June 1, 2017 at 10:18 pm

I think this is a great idea. While there are those who are in deep need of this service there are many who have become plain lazy. When the democrats started the welfare system it was based on finding jobs for those who needed work, not just doling out money. Doling money out, strips one of pride and confidence. Work can raise self esteem. We should also look into how the government plans have helped and/or hurt the Indian tribes as well.

67. Joyce fagan

June 11, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I have not gotten food stamps since my children are grown and moved out.my youngest son is 24.I had to work when my son turned 3 in 1996.I had to go to work to keep from my government help.food stamps and Medicaid on my children to keep it from being cut out.I could never get child support from my children dad.

68. Ann McWilliams

June 24, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I am a retired senior. I am not on welfare but do draw SS. If our government finally does something to crack down on the fraud, I will applaud their efforts. I have personally witnessed EBT cards used to buy liquor and cigarettes. I know of 4 women (in their 40s} who are allowing a 5th woman to use their names and SS numbers so she can declare them as her children. The benefits are then split equally among the five of them. Yes, I did call the hot line, over a year ago, no investigation and they are still on EBT. One of these gals is working as a painter and not reporting income. Yes, do something and do it quickly.

69. J

July 20, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Go Trump! I pay taxes for others to get help… but when I need it- “oh, sorry- you make too much!” I hate the current system.