Whoopi Has Message for ‘Stupid’ UCLA Players: You’re Lucky Trump Could ‘Get Your A**es Out’ of China

Whoopi Goldberg and her co-hosts on ABC’s “The View” expressed their astonishment Thursday at the fact that three UCLA freshmen basketball players were accused of shoplifting while on a team trip to China.

The players were arrested by Chinese police and only released this week after President Donald Trump asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to intercede. Goldberg said the players embarrassed Trump and the country, but credited the president for helping the players return to the U.S.

“You embarrassed your families, you embarrassed the country, and you embarrassed the president,” Goldberg said. “Now I’m not a big fan of the president, but the fact that he had to call and get your asses out of there is not anything to be proud of or think is cool.”

“If this isn’t the stupidest thing a young person has done, particularly if you’re over six-feet tall, and black—” she continued.

“You kinda stick out,” Sunny Hostin interjected.

“Is this just the ridiculous stupidity of youth?” Goldberg asked, recounting how they were detained for stealing items from a Louis Vuitton store in a foreign country without many black people.

“Now, you’re in China—you’re this big!” she said, reaching high into the air to indicate the players’ height. “It’s not like you’re gonna blend, you’re not going to blend in, run out.”

Goldberg said their families and mentors had no doubt told them numerous times not to do things like this, and she said the foolishness of youth is the only explanation for something so dumb.

“They should get suspended for a month,” Goldberg said.

“At least,” co-host Joy Behar added.

“I don’t think we should ever throw people out of school for stupidity, because most of us, I think have done some stupid stuff, but this?” Goldberg said.

Hostin explained how important it is for Americans, especially black Americans, to represent the country well.

“They caused an international incident where the president had to get involved and call the president of another country,” Hostin said. “This is really significant.”

The hosts also discussed how the players could make amends by doing community service, and that the university should take the matter seriously. Goldberg said the players should not be afforded too much mercy.

“You can embarrass the hell out of them,” Goldberg said. “What y’all did is as dumb as dumb can be.”

What do you think about this comment below.

1. Pendit1

November 20, 2017 at 7:39 pm

This is the FIRST time in YEARS, that I’ve agreed with Ms. WG about ANYTHING! Good on her!

• Noris

November 20, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Same here! THANK YOU JESUS!!!

• Brenda Myers

November 21, 2017 at 12:02 am

First time i have agreed with her also…

2. Sovereign Mary

November 20, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Wow, I’m surprised to know that Whoopi could actually make such an honest comment.

• Barbara

November 20, 2017 at 7:49 pm

And Joy. My gosh I’m stunned

3. Michelle L Strothman

November 20, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I’m not much of a fan of Whoopie, but I respect her for speaking up where wrong is just plain outright wrong instead of making excuses like so many others are doing. I certainly give her much credit for speaking out on this topic. The fact that she gave President Trump credit for something should tell any American just how wrong these boys and the father have been in handling this whole situation.

4. Debby

November 20, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Guess what, Whoopi? This is what happens when you let the left out of the country. You have no one to blame but people like yourself. You are their role model, but repeatedly disrespect our President on a daily basis. You taught them, this is ok?

• Noris

November 20, 2017 at 8:11 pm

AMEN TO THAT!!!

5. GCirwinski

November 20, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Good for you Whoopi for your honesty! The young men realize that they used bad judgement,and gave honest apologies. I’m so Happy that they were released,unharmed and am sure they learned a valuable lesson. The Father,however,didn’t appear to be happy!! His comments were stupid!

6. Nola Ervin

November 20, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Stupid is what stupid does.They should
    be off the basketball team for the season and hold a B average for the rest of the year.

• Noris

November 20, 2017 at 8:12 pm

YES INDEED!!!

7. Luana

November 20, 2017 at 9:56 pm

And they wonder why Blacks have no use for the police and think they can do anything and scream racism and it will get them out of any predicament.
    I remember as a young girl walking through a cemetery on my way home, and I picked some of the flowers that were on the graves to make a bouquet for my mother. Well, when I got home, the only thing my Dad said to me was, “How would you feel about someone stealing from my grave?”
    I’ve never taken a thing from anything/anyone since.

8. Noris

November 21, 2017 at 3:26 am

I believe THE ALMIGHTY GOD is shutting these women’s BIG MOUTHS . . . HALLELUJAH, THANK YOU O ABBA-FATHER!!!

9. Kippy Poulson

November 21, 2017 at 3:40 am

First time EVER I could believe in anything Whoopi said. Don’t care about the rest of them.

10. Joan

November 21, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Although she sets a terrible example herself of respecting the presidency, in this instant, although flabbergasted, I agree with Goldberg and give her kudos for her statement.

11. Eileen Mikulecky

November 21, 2017 at 3:33 pm

THIS IS THE RESULT OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE LOOSE RESPECT FOR EVERYTHING. THE AWFUL RHETORIC THAT PEOPLE USE ON EACH OTHER HAS MADE THIS A COUNTRY OF VERY ANGRY CITIZENS. EVERYONE HAS A SHORT FUSE AND NO SELF CONTROL.

12. Mdoyle

November 21, 2017 at 5:46 pm

First time I agree with Whoppie about anything. Am actually shocked but very impressed with her stance on this issue.

13. Thor

November 21, 2017 at 6:17 pm

But hey,did she give the president any credit for saving these stupid asses from 10 yrs in a Chinese prison? Oh no.With her hateful rethoric and disrespect for our president she isn’t exactly a good role model for these guys.