Woman Who Said Hobby Lobby Cotton Decoration is Racist Speaks out After Widespread Backlash

When Daniell Rider posted to Facebook about a cotton decoration she saw in Hobby Lobby, she had no idea her post would become one of the most shared and discussed stories of the week.

What happened?

Millions of Americans read Rider’s Facebook post, where she decried a cotton art decoration she spotted at Hobby Lobby earlier this month. She said:

This decor is WRONG on SO many levels. There is nothing decorative about raw cotton… A commodity which was gained at the expense of African-American slaves.
A little sensitivity goes a long way.
PLEASE REMOVE THIS “decor”.

What does she have to say now?

Speaking with KCEN-TV this week, Rider said that cotton isn’t an art decoration, but rather a symbol of oppression of black people in America.

She explained: “I wasn’t trying to be divisive. If I was trying to be divisive I would’ve talked about the world, talking about race relations. I am a consumer talking to a retailer. And, all I said was I found something offensive.”

Rider also explained that she has been inundated with death threats since her post went viral.

“It’s no longer about the raw cotton. The cotton is off the shelf, but the racism remains there.”

Does she regret the post?
Simply, Rider said that she does not regret the post, but reiterated her claim that she didn’t intend to be divisive.

“I’m still gonna be happy, and I’m still gonna make a change in the world,” she said.

Watch:

1. Strongbow

September 24, 2017 at 2:15 am

You can’t fix stupid.

• Bettyanne

September 24, 2017 at 2:34 am

So true

2. BUD RENNIE

September 24, 2017 at 2:16 am

I CAN’T CAUSE THEY WON’T PRINT IT.

3. Helen

September 24, 2017 at 2:17 am

STOP SPREADING HATE AND CAUSING RIOTS!! WE R OVER IT!!

4. BuffaloBillie

September 24, 2017 at 2:18 am

She knew EXACTLY what she was doing when she sent the post. She’s the racist! Lots of people have chopped and picked cotton and they’re not all black. A lot of white people also did. During and shortly after the depression, anyone did anything to make a living. Shame on her. She’s also not a Texan but from California.

5. Sally Becker.

September 24, 2017 at 2:19 am

She needs to do a little studying. BLACKS WEREN’T THE ONLY ONES TO PICK COTTON – THERE WERE MANY WHITE tenant farmers that also picked cotton. I would post pictures here if it was allowed.

• Hank

September 24, 2017 at 2:51 am

Why do blacks think that they are the only ones that picked cotton. We used to go to West Texas and Arkansas to pick cotton and there were a lot of whites and Hispanics picking cotton. I hate to spend my time answering these stupid posts,but I have no choice,I need to make the record clear to these thin skinned blacks. They think that they are the only ones that worked in the fields.

• Barbara Mauney

September 24, 2017 at 6:56 pm

She has probably never worked a day in a field in her life. I am white and while I never picked cotton my mother did. People need to learn from the past but don’t assume only the hard, hot work in the cotton fields were attributed to one race.

• Paula

September 24, 2017 at 3:16 am

The point is blacks didn’t get paid, didn’t have a choice. I really think I have limbs on my trees prettier than these cotton stems. On the other hand, Cotton came to Harlem with the Cotton Club.

• Randy

September 24, 2017 at 4:33 am

Hell I grew up in the South and picked cotton for a number of years myself and I’m white. So if cotton is racist, when is she going to stop wearing cotton clothing? She’s just a lying liberal!!

• Walter

September 24, 2017 at 12:09 pm

My mom picked cotton alongside of black people in Arkansas in the early 1900s when she was in her preteen years. She was a white person trying to help her family out. She was born in 1898. So don’t give me that only blacks picked cotton crap. Plenty of white folks picked cotton to help out their poor family!

• milisa foster

September 25, 2017 at 1:25 am

Yes she needs a history class before commenting on something she knows nothing about obviously! What about all the whites and blacks that work there tails off today for the same thing. Shame on this woman! This woman is racist. Hobby Lobby has a wide variety for everyone’s likes. I will be shopping there this week. Thank you Hobby Lobby ! The Best thing about freedom is selling whatever you want in your business as long as it’s legal.

6. jim

September 24, 2017 at 2:19 am

fucking dumb black bitch

7. fertility

September 24, 2017 at 2:21 am

And people wonder why whites stereotype blacks.

8. MrsDianne Kirkwood

September 24, 2017 at 2:21 am

So should we all be not wearing any cotton then? It’s not true that only black people planted and picked cotton. Lot’s of white folks grew cotton.

9. T.JONES

September 24, 2017 at 2:22 am

WHAT A COMPLETE IDIOT AND I SHOULD SAY SHE IS THE TRUE RACIST…WHAT DOES HER BIG BLACK ASS KNOW ABOUT COTTON..I’M WHITE AND MY MOTHER, HER MOTHER, AND POOR WHITES PICKED COTTON BACK IN THE DAY..YOU WANTED TO EAT AND HAVE A TIN ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD YOU PICKED AND DID WHAT EVER IT TOOK..

10. Robert Rodriguez

September 24, 2017 at 2:23 am

I think you knew exactly what you were saying and why…you wanted this attention. Your 15 minutes are up.

11. Sandro

September 24, 2017 at 2:24 am

I ate lots of blue berries last night, this morning I pooped a black turd, I’m one hundred percent sure this woman would have called me a racist.

12. Virginia Schilz

September 24, 2017 at 2:26 am

This girl is very much neurotic. It is a cotton pickin shame-

13. Ann

September 24, 2017 at 2:28 am

Come on….she’s gone from the ridiculous to the sublime. Do we stop wearing “cotton” clothes because it offends someone who chooses to go back to another place, another time, about cotton. Are all drug stores, etc. that sell cotton balls going to be caught up in her “doing what she’s supposed” to, and ban cotton balls from being sold. She’s got a lot of “doing” to do.

14. Jack Gerson

September 24, 2017 at 2:29 am

This comes from a consuming dislike of whites that comes from buying the narrative that you hear everyday. I bet even a few years ago they had moved on as I have with racial barriers. One day I hear I have to give my home to the blacks, the next day my bank account and on and on. it is like what I see happening to Christians, Oh I didn’t mean to say that you are bigots hypocrites etc.

15. Glema Smith

September 24, 2017 at 2:31 am

I would like for the young lady who saw a cottom decort at hobby lobby offensice. My dear , how old are you? What do you really know about cotton and what it can suggest to people. Unless you are filled with hate and racism yourself you can not honestly say that cotton is offensive to you. Look to yourself. What are the socks you wear made of. your under garments. your dress other article of clothing that you use to cover you body… Many famrers raised cotton for a living, fed their families . clothe them and yes helped put a roof over their heads by the raising and selling of cotton. My great grandparents were white, yet they raised and picked cotton to feed their families.They weren’t slaves like the ones you are talking about. But many differnet colors of people are slaves one way or another. give us all a break.you are the one that is racist. not hobby lobby or the people who love and buy cotton to do many crafts and make many things they like and love. May GOd give you peace and help you find an answer to help you deal with your hate.

16. Liz Warfield

September 24, 2017 at 2:34 am

I’m sick of retailers, which every other race of people shop at as well, keeps coddling to these race baiting morons. I bet slaves also mowed lawns, are we to get rid of grass? Do they not find it offensive? They fetched water, is that also offensive? They cooked, cleaned, even bathed their owners, masters, whatever you want to call them. Are we to abolish all of these things as well? It was a piece of raw cotton. These morons need to get a life and you people need to stop catering to them!!!!

17. Glema Smith

September 24, 2017 at 2:38 am

Oh , I also am a senior citizen who has people of color in my family. I have a Porto Rician as an aunt. a nephew who married a half white, half black wonderful young lady and they have a beautiful family. I have brothers and sisters in Christ whom I love dearly. I dont see any difference in us except most of them are younger than me. tee hee. We would do anything for each other and love each other more than most blood relatives do. I know there will always be Satan in there doing what he can to divide us and cause us to find fault with each other. Please young lady pray on what you are feeling and thinking. God will show you the way May God Bless You

18. Liz Warfield

September 24, 2017 at 2:38 am

She never picked cotton in her life. Probably not one person she even knows. I’m so sick of these whine butt people

19. Bettyanne

September 24, 2017 at 2:40 am

Think she just needed 15 minutes of famous! As stated by another comment “Can fix stupid “. So strange that a small minority’s options are effecting same many. Maybe we should not be wearing cotton clothes. I live in a cotton growing area. I pick the raw offensive cotton and use it to decorate my home. Grow the hell up.

20. charlie

September 24, 2017 at 2:41 am

she needs to start reading clothing labels and not buy any cotton products . then she can fulfill her dreams of change . P.S. LADY you changed absolutely nothing in my nor anyone I knows life … just say’in

• RonGDallas

September 24, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Bet she wants to wear cloth made from oil. Maybe she needs to live in a clothing optional area.

• Mara

September 24, 2017 at 5:15 pm

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some of that cotton. Thanks for letting me know where to get it! I saw it in a magazine used as a decoration. BTW, my brothers picked cantaloupe in Southern Arizona along with Hispanics and anyone else that wanted to do it. It was called “working” for a living.

21. Betsy Cox

September 24, 2017 at 2:48 am

You are just a nasty person walking around looking for trouble and yes you found it. Cotton is beautiful and people have flower arrangements in their homes with cotton among other picks they have. You need to study history black and white people picked cotton. My Father raised corn pt in schocks and when it was the way he wanted it he husked it by hand. He raised wheat and cut it my hand and put it in bundles and a thrashing machine went from farm to farm to thresh the wheat. Yes they worked hard so pull up your big girl panties and get yourself a life. I do not care for trouble makers and that is the way I see you! Glad I am not your neighbor!

22. Jon

September 24, 2017 at 2:49 am

Well now. She has in her picture, a weave basket frame, looks like it’s made of coots thread, she has a book behind her on Imhotep, an Egyptian Pharoh and notable slave holder. Looks as though her outrage is pretty selective and her hypocrisy very blatant.

23. bruni

September 24, 2017 at 3:01 am

Hobby Lobby is one of the few retailers that does not open on Sunday, they are Christian people that I’m sure did not intend to offend anyone, it was just a branch of cotton for Pete’s sakes. Cotton was not the only thing picked by slaves, black or white, yes there were white slaves, look it up, it is History, are we going to be offended by Apples, Peaches, Wheat, corn, you get my point. It is time people stop there stupidity, and get a grip with reality.

24. Bill-B

September 24, 2017 at 3:02 am

I remember when I was child we decorated pictures we drew with cotton to simulate snow. I had no idea I was being racist. I have a lot of cloths that are made out of cotton. No idea I was being racist. Hell, come Black Supremists, it’s time to attack anybody wearing anything cotton. Get over racist, prejudice l, American hating selves.

25. Kim

September 24, 2017 at 3:03 am

Pathetic…..this is what we have to deal with. How do you get people like this to stop feeling sorry for themselves and make something of themselves???? If you are offended DON’T BUY IT. Why do you get to decide whether or not we’d like to buy it?

26. Joe Salvatore

September 24, 2017 at 3:35 am

In a divisive time this is just another spark needed to start another fire. Sad state of affairs that something that took place years ago plays a factor in today’s society!

27. marylou

September 24, 2017 at 3:55 am

Another black racist liberal finding offense where there is none….
    She needs to read a history book and stop making it up as she goes along!
    Obviously has too much time on her hands….
    She should make her way into the black community and try to raise up the community…rather than trying to tear down a Christian Company for displaying cotton ball decor. Moron!

28. Wanda pz messer

September 24, 2017 at 4:19 am

I hope she doesn’t wear anything that has cotton in it, or anything else that gas cotton, ie bandages girl wounds, etc… If she does then she would be a hypocrite . The woman is a lunatic. Can’t fix stupid.
    I like the arrangements made out of the cotton. It is beautiful.

29. Eric

September 24, 2017 at 6:23 am

Maybe she needs to get rid of all the us dollars she has.

30. J

September 24, 2017 at 7:04 am

They took the cotton off the shelves because of this???? Is that true? If so, I am truly disappointed in Hobby Lobby! This is why this crazy “I’m so offended, so we have to get rid of everything remotely historical” crap continues and even got a foothold to begin with! Enough is enough! This is crazy!!

31. Ona Southerland

September 24, 2017 at 1:59 pm

This woman probably has never really worked hard in her life, let alone picking cotton. White people picked cotton also.

32. CharlesEcho

September 24, 2017 at 2:25 pm

What an unimaginative, simple minded woman. Is this her first visit to Hobby Lobby? How about a drive through the South? Black people feel suppressed in the United States through their own ignorance.

33. OhDannyBoy

September 24, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Blacks think they are the only ones who were slaves. WRONG AGAIN! Read history and not just the history that suits your narrative. smh. Its all about them and yet today its never happened to them! This is nothing more than an excuse to be LAZY NO GOOD PEOPLE while trying to make you feel sorry for them. Screw off! Why don’t you boycott eating food for a few months and drinking water since you also picked all foods and carried water. Loser!

34. Linda Walmer

September 24, 2017 at 3:16 pm

ONE MORE IGNORANT PERSON GETS ATTENTION

35. Reta MAE

September 24, 2017 at 4:01 pm

every store has the right to sell what they want as much as you say you have the right to say what you want. Don’t shop there and make sure you check every label of what you but to make sure there is no cotton in it . What happened 200 yrs ago has nothing to due with today These kinds of things are what is keeping racism going its time to stop the stupid 15min of fame or as this turned out to be backlash and find ways to correct the isues thats going on the in the world today

36. Jeff

September 24, 2017 at 4:16 pm

If she was just a consumer talking to a company, why did she feel she needed to put it on facebook if not to try and get her 5 minutes of fame. Well it didn’t exactly work out that way for her. She should keep her mouth shut and shop elsewhere.

37. Butch Burgin

September 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Besides her nonsensical rant, what I found troubling is KCEN TVs need to further her 15 minutes of fame. Your point is taken, girl…move on. Find another windmill.

38. jrwhitmore

September 24, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Claiming offensive because of a supposed race related issue is divisive. She is lying about the n word and death threats. She is as divisive as the NFL football players. She is exactly what is wrong with the liberal world.

39. Usunder53

September 24, 2017 at 9:09 pm

I come from a long line of Cotton Pickers. It’s not a Black or White thing. It’s a Poor Southern Family Thing. I’m white and I have pictures to prove it. It does not represent black slavery it represents a life style of poor southern familiars. Yes I was a poor southern girl that is proud of my upkeep. Raise on a farm was how our dad feed us.

40. Lynne Burry

September 24, 2017 at 10:09 pm

She is going to make a change in the world. Yes, she, along with many other people that see racism in anything and everything will make a change. Most people will revert back to pre-political correctness days. They will say what they want and not care if they are called racist… they will purchase watermelon and fried chicken and enjoy it, they will compliment women and men, they will teach their children respect for others, people will wear hoop earrings no matter what race they are, braids too. And when all that occurs, people won’t care if someone is black or white or red, yellow, brown since the language of racism will not be there to
    divide us

41. Pam

September 24, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Attention starved, trouble maker with a small IQ

42. Ap2021

September 25, 2017 at 12:51 am

I sure hope she doesn’t pass a KFC on the way home, she will be blown away!

43. Tina

September 25, 2017 at 1:03 am

So I guess we should burn all the cotton fields down here in Texas cause she thinks a pretty cotton plant in a bottle is racist! Oh my gosh is she kidding or what? Why don’t she find a real cause to help with instead of looking for her 15 minutes of fame! If the display had a old Black Slave woman holding it then yes it would have been racist but it was a display of one of Texas products. She needs to go back to school and learn a little before she opens her stupid mouth. And she needs to burn all hes cotton cloths cause they’re racist too!

44. Mickey

September 25, 2017 at 6:55 am

slaves did not just pick cotton. they picked all sorts of crops, as well as many other jobs. are we not allowed to buy, use, or see anything the slaves may have had any part of? it just has no merit. if she was just talking to a retailer, wy did she not talk to a manager in the store about it, or call the company directly? no, she went to social media, just stir up trouble.

45. caroly hughes

September 25, 2017 at 6:13 pm

as far as the woman who was insested by the lonly little cotton stalk aperently she has not been taught much about farming and what it takes tobring in a crop.. however the athletes who refuse to honor our flag and what it represents i feel they need to play war over in irack a few months insted of playing football etc. and then will be able to under stand how we feel i had a brother who was a ranger in tne us army he didn,t stay a long time in viet nam because he was wounded all you mother and famalies of these players close your eyes and try to visualize my mother when she got the message my brother wason his way home he had been wounded maybe yhen you will be able to convince your sons that they picked the wrond way to vent their anger…i am the proud sister of 4 brothers who served their time protecting our nation , back then they had a draft and every was drafted who was mentaly anf phyficaly able to serve his country

46. Michele Parsons

September 25, 2017 at 8:47 pm

But they took the cotton off the shelf when does all this bs stop when is it ever going to be enough or do we just keep letting this all go on our ex president did this he allowed all this bs to go on the leaders from the 60s must be rolling in their graves