House Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued a new demand of President Donald Trump on Sunday amid ongoing controversy over Minnesota Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar’s refusal to identify the 9/11 attackers as terrorists.
Instead, at a CAIR fundraiser last month, Omar referred to the 9/11 perpetrators as “some people” who “did something.”
In response, Trump tweeted a video Friday highlighting Omar’s controversial comments. Spliced in between her words were dramatic scenes from 9/11. Democrats later accused the president of inciting violence against Omar.
In a short statement released Sunday afternoon, Pelosi demanded the president remove the video, which he has since “pinned” to the top of his Twitter account.
“The President’s words weigh a ton, and his hateful and inflammatory rhetoric creates real danger. President Trump must take down his disrespectful and dangerous video,” Pelosi said in a statement.
“Following the President’s tweet, I spoke with the Sergeant-at-Arms to ensure that Capitol Police are conducting a security assessment to safeguard Congresswoman Omar, her family and her staff,” she said. “They will continue to monitor and address the threats she faces.”
.@realDonaldTrump’s dangerous video must be taken down. I have spoken with the Sergeant-at-Arms to ensure that Capitol Police are conducting a security assessment to safeguard Rep. @Ilhan Omar, her family & her staff. They will continue to monitor & address the threats she faces. pic.twitter.com/Grb9c8S18d
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) April 14, 2019
Pelosi’s statement comes after Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), who is one of Omar’s closest progressive allies in Congress, criticized Democratic leadership for seemingly exploiting Muslims.
Omar and Tlaib are the first two Muslim women ever elected to Congress. They were elected last year.