Elementary Principal Announces He Is Transgender, Will Start Dressing as a Woman

A 52-year-old male elementary school principal has announced he is now transgender and will begin dressing as a woman at school.

Tom Daniels, principal of Stanley School in Swampscott, Massachusetts, said in a letter to the school community that was forwarded to the Boston Globe, “I am transgender. For me, that means I identify as both a male and female, and I plan to move toward presenting myself and identifying as female.”

Daniels says he will now be known as “Shannon,” a name common to both males and females, “perfectly denoting my fluid gender identity.”

He also indicated in his letter he prefers to have others use the pronouns “he,” “she” and “they” when referring to him.

“As I nurture my new identity, I will most likely be presenting myself differently,” Daniels continued. “I will do everything in my power to ensure that there is no negative impact on our school community.”

According to Salem News, Daniels said he woke up one morning and asked himself, “Who am I and what do I want?”

Daniels, who heads a school of kindergartners to fourth graders, recommended some “simple language” parents can use to explain to their young children about his decision to identify as a woman.

“Principal Daniels may look and sound different, but inside Principal Daniels is the same caring person,” was one option.

“This doesn’t change the fact that Stanley School is a great place to be and learn,” was another option recommended for parents explaining Daniels’ change in appearance to their children.

According to CBS Boston, Daniels has been married to a woman for 29 years and has three children aged 16-23.

He says since his decision he feels closer to his wife.

“I feel really like calm, and sort of peaceful and really kind and sensitive,” he said.

Daniels adds he hopes to physically transition to become a woman.

In a separate letter to parents, Superintendent of Schools Pamela Angelakis wrote, “I applaud Principal Daniels and admire the courage, honesty and transparency that comes through in the letter you received.”

Angelakis included in her letter resources for parents about how to discuss transgender issues with children.

In an interview with LifeSiteNews, Family Research Council senior fellow for policy studies Peter Sprigg said Daniels’ “transition” from male to female will likely cause some distress to the young children at the school.

“Children do not have the cognitive capacity to understand something which could upend their own developing sense of a secure, natural identity as male or female,” he explained. “Mr. Daniels’ case is even more extreme (and likely confusing to the children), because he is not merely changing from a [male to female] identity, but claims that he identifies ‘as both a male and female,’ and is going to ‘move toward’ presenting and identifying as female. Children should not be subjected to such social engineering.”

1. paulette

February 15, 2018 at 2:18 am

SORRY BUT IF I HAD A CHILD GOING TO THIS SCHOOL ,I WOULD BE HAULING THEM OUT,KIDS TODAY ARE CONFUSED ENOUGH,THEY DONT NEED CONFUSED ADULTS TRYING TO TEACH OR TELL THEM ANYTHING,THIS IS GENDER DISPHORIA,SO YOU WANT SOMEONE WHO HAS A MENTAL ILLNESS GUIDING YOUR KIDS,NOT ME!!!!!!!

• Alean Stoops

February 15, 2018 at 4:47 am

your right this person is not good teacher material. He needs to take some time off like a leave of absents ,until he knows who he is.

• Maffi

February 18, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Absence

• TONY

February 16, 2018 at 2:38 am

WELL SAID 100% TAKE A LEAVE OR GO SOMEWERE ELSE WHEN YOU ARE DONE GETTING YOUR BOOBS AND BALLS CUT OFF THEN YOU CAN RE APPLY TO TEACH . BRING BACK THE 50 60 ‘S MY GOD WHAT YOU KIDS GONNA CALL YOU ? MOMMY OR DADDY?

2. bruce mckenna

February 15, 2018 at 4:01 am

WHERE IS THERE AN ISLAND WE CAN PUY THESE FECK UP FRUITCAKES. 52 YEARS OLD AND DECIDES HE WANTS TO BE A WOMAN. I AM GLAD I AM 70 YEARS OLD. IT WOULD NOT MATTER THERE WOULD NOT BE ANY HESHE GUIDING MY CHILDREN. WHAT IS WRONG WITH SCHOOLS NEVER MIND THIS TRANSGENDER SHIT.

3. Linda Palmer

February 15, 2018 at 6:06 am

I want to sign it loud and clear…WE NEED SCHOOL VOUCHERS FOR ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY THIS YEAR!

4. SHIRLEY

February 15, 2018 at 7:00 am

HE SHOULD BE MOVED TO HIGH SCHOOL WHERE THOSE KIDS WILL HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING ABOUT HIS GENDER.PERSONALLY I THINK HE SHOULD BE FIRED.

5. Richard Misel Jr

February 15, 2018 at 11:55 am

That mentally ill freak has NO business around children. especially in a school where he will have a detrimental affect on some children.! The parents should pressure the school board to have him fired, The school is NO place for him to display his sexual perversion.!

6. Vic G.

February 15, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Well… perhaps he does have his own personal issues that he needs to deal with… don’t all of us have our own??? but we deal with them…, but for many, differing reasons, not necessarily to do with his particular personal identity issue. but why does everybody else, have to change their life, because of his particular malfunction. We all deal with our own issues now…so can he without wrecking a whole school……

7. Mark Bushey

February 15, 2018 at 1:57 pm

your “STATE OF MIND” is neither your gender or sex – just a mental case!

8. Russ

February 15, 2018 at 2:06 pm

He should step down, not a good role model for kids at all !!

9. Lydia

February 15, 2018 at 3:43 pm

What a selfish act! Go Work somewhere else that has no prior history with your mental illness! Why would they let him confuse these poor kids?? They shouldn’t be put in the middle of his confused drama…

10. voncile2016

February 15, 2018 at 4:42 pm

OMG!!! …and the School board is okay with this?? Glad I don’t have kids there. Our God is crying!

11. James Phares

February 15, 2018 at 6:15 pm

A day after a sick former student kills 17, one must consider child safety in our schools. This principal has mental health issues. Think “Safety” and get this guy away from our children!

12. Rhonda

February 15, 2018 at 7:00 pm

I wouldn’t want my kid in a school with someone with blatant mental issues. Parents should take a stand if they know how…Massachusetts….I don’t know.

13. joie wentworthe

February 15, 2018 at 7:08 pm

There has been a public service “jingle” running for at least a year that I have been listening,(cars for kids is the “good” reason for us to embrace the ideas expressed). The lyric is sung by young children who tell us that they want to grow up to be inanimate objects. Teaching children that life forms and manufactured objects are interchangeable is a recipe for disaster. Life bleeds, computer images and plastic phones do not. Where does a young mind go once it has been told that wishful thinking makes it so? How do we develop a strong sense of self if we operate from make believe? I am sorry for anyone who feels that changing from one sex to another will make everything alright. Each sex has inherent challenges and creating a meaningful life is not easy, no matter male or female. The grass is always greener… I often watch the blue sky peppered with fluffy white clouds drifting by and think: If only I were a fluffy white cloud, I could be free of all my difficulties and responsibilities. So far- no lift off, then I think, how lucky am I to see this sky and my gloom is replaced with joy. No surgeries required.

14. Mary

February 15, 2018 at 9:38 pm

He’s mentally ill and should not be around children. Supporting someone to “transition” to another sex is like telling an anorexic they really are fat.

15. bob

February 15, 2018 at 10:21 pm

well it will be confusing for the kids but if they accept it fine, but to be fair allow kids to read the christian bible put them back in libraries, u have the q’oran in schools not christian and we a christian nation, not Muslim,Budhist,Secular< CHRISTIAN 82% christian nation so u can confused kids with transgendered but god don't let them see a bible.

16. charles

February 16, 2018 at 3:13 am

Fire this guy immediately. He has a mental disorder known to medicine since 1800’s…it’s called gender dysphoria. He is a danger to his student’s because of his unpredictability unless he is medicated…then you wouldn’t want him around your kids anyway.

17. Red

February 16, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Trying to be open minded here and respect this individuals right(s), but really folks, find a compromise. Find something for him/her to do in the administration building (far away from the children) and when he/she decides what the final gender is going to be, and completes the transformation, then give him/her an opportunity to compete for a principal position when one opens. The whole transgender issue/discussion does NOT have to take place with young children caught in the middle. They will have plenty of opportunities in their lifetime to form their own opinions on a whole myriad of social/political issues.

18. Fredroe

February 16, 2018 at 6:49 pm

He’s mentally ill. He states he sees himself as both man and woman. You’re either one or the other. And his wife puts up with this? She sounds as crazy as he is. The school’s first priority is the children, not some sexual experiment from a nutcase.

19. Maffi

February 18, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Children do not need this shit.

20. SANDIE

February 19, 2018 at 2:14 am

YOU all are just ignorant of these situations. It sounds like he has had this struggle for many years and is what is now known as non binary which means he really does not feel fully female or male. WHAT the kids need is for the parents to chill out and support the kids in understanding the situation. Christ would tell you to be kind and gentle to this person and help in whatever way you can. SHAME ON YOU FOR CALLING HER PERVERTED OR SICK. Sounds like none of you have had to deal with any dysphoria, depression or just question your life and purpose. Be kind and gentle.

21. perry

March 2, 2018 at 7:16 pm

I feel sorry for his parents, wife and children…. what an embarrassment.

22. Obaza

March 3, 2018 at 3:18 am

Sorry,his “rights” do NOT come before the rights of all the children, parents and citizens who pay his salary! Ya need ta take her freak show on the road pal. Kindergarten! Man, you’re one sick selfish son of a bitch!

23. tony

March 7, 2018 at 1:52 pm

No such thing as being “transgenedered.” It’s a made-up term for people with sexual perversions, and so encouraged by the liberal agenda because it undermines the real family structure. I’d be looking for another school without question!