A fifth-grade teacher at Canopy Oaks Elementary school in Tallahassee, Florida, made headlines after sending home notices to students’ parents requesting that her pupils address her with gender-neutral pronouns in her classroom.

What did the letter say?

Chloe Bressack, who teaches math and science, sent a letter home which read, “One thing that you should know about me is that I use gender neutral terms. My prefix is Mx. (pronounced Mix). Additionally, my pronouns are ‘they, them, their’ instead of ‘he, his, she, hers.’ I know it takes practice for it to feel natural, but in my experience, students catch on pretty quickly.”

The teacher added, “We’re not going for perfection, just making an effort!” and signed the note, “Mx. Bressack.”

The note was obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat after it was shared in a local moms group on Facebook.

The original poster in the Facebook group shared the image and wrote, “What would your reaction be as a parent of 9- [and] 10 year-olds?”

According to reports, the response to the thread was split, with some parents voicing support for the teacher’s requests, and others questioning her rationale.

One commenter wrote, “Why is this even an issue? The world’s not gonna end because someone wants to be addressed as them/they. It’s their preference and literally does not affect you in any way.”

Another commenter responded, “I’m sorry, but there is no such thing as gender neutral.”

How did the administration react?

“We support her preference in how she’s addressed, we certainly do,” Lambert said.

Lambert concluded, “There has been some [contact from concerned parents]: the thing that has brought good understanding is, it’s not a preference that’s being applied to anyone other than the teacher.”

Rocky Hanna, the school district’s superintendent, provided a statement to Fox News and clarified the school’s position on Bressack’s request to use requested pronouns.

Hanna said:

According to Principal Lambert, the teacher addresses students daily by using the pronouns he, she, him and her. The teacher also uses ma’am and sir when responding to students. As a personal preference, however, the teacher simply prefers to be referred to in gender-neutral terms as that of a coach. I can assure you that teachers in our district will not be allowed to use their influence in the classroom to advance any personal belief or political agenda. At this time, I do not believe that is the case in this instance.

Bressack’s history

Bressack declined to be interviewed by the Democrat but issued the following statement to the newspaper: “I feel very lucky to be teaching at Canopy Oaks, and I look forward to working with my students this year.”

Bressack interviewed in February with Florida A&M’s The Famuan, where she voiced her support for the transgender movement. In the report, the paper identified Bressack as transgender; however, no other reports have confirmed that the teacher is, indeed, transgender.

Bressack visited Washington, D.C., to protest for the rights of transgender people, and when interviewed by the website, said, “They tell me that my gender, my existence, is inappropriate.”

“I had people look me in the eye and tell me that I am selfish for being a teacher, selfish for putting myself into a position where I am around children and exposing them to the transgender lifestyle, whatever that is,” she added.

“I will not be spending my entire life pretending to be someone that I am not,” Bressack concluded. “I refuse to show students that their gender identities are something to be ashamed of. I refuse to show students that their gender identity makes them a danger to other students.”

1. sarita

September 22, 2017 at 11:59 pm

“The school’s principal, Paul Lambert, told the newspaper that he had received criticism as a result of Bressack’s letter.

“I think a lot of times it might be decided that there is an agenda there, because of her preference — I can tell you her only agenda is teaching math and science at the greatest level she can,” he added.”

The social engineering of this “teacher” needs to stop. IF this school does not fire this “teacher,” the parents need to insist that they will not have this teacher engage in social engineering, and that they need to get an alternate teacher who will NOT engage in it.

• paulette

September 23, 2017 at 11:56 pm

@SARITA,AMEN I TOTALLY AGREE

2. Craig

September 23, 2017 at 12:01 am

The Parents should just say no and tell their children it is not necessary. Then tell the teacher if she tries to intimidate their children they will get her fired.

3. Trump Country

September 23, 2017 at 12:03 am

OH NO IF THAT IS ACCEPTED AT ANY LEVEL YOU KNOW THAT IT WILL SPREAD> THIS TRANSGENDER CRAZE MUST BE PULLED FROM OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEMS THIS SOCIAL EXPERIMENT IS CAUSING TRAUMA CONFUSION LOWER TEST SCORES AND INSECURITY IN OUR YOUTH ESPECIALLY GIRLSwho as young as 9 yrs old suffer suicidal thinking. WHAT HAPPENED TO EDUCATION teaching math history art and home ec? Our kids have become social warriors for the war of 1% of the population because Michelle Obama was a trans and Obo wanted life more accepting of her lifestyle which she had to hide so he could be POTUS that is why all his records are sealed Our kids deserve better and we should be insisting on them as a priority and not the social issue of the moment! STOP THE INSANITY NOW IT WILL NOT BE HAPPENING IN MY KIDS SCHOOL WITHOUT ONE HELL OF A PUBLIC COURTBOUND FIGHT!

4. Jose

September 23, 2017 at 12:06 am

Crazy its like that one should not be allowed to confuse little children.

5. Lavona Areno

September 23, 2017 at 12:12 am

This goes against everything i’ve been raised with and taught. This is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. This does nothing but confuse the kids. how are parents going to be re-schooled. how far will the left go to change everything we know and have been taught.

if this was to my children. i’d move schools. this is a SCHOOL to learn, to be taught how to meet the world. these people are to teach, TEACH, not to hide from the world. to be taught how to grow up and realize that life is not fair. there are rights and wrongs. there is good and bad. there is HE’S AND SHE’S!!! I didn’t much like home-schooling b/c i think kids need to be with their peers but if these IDIOT TEACHERS( I GUESS THEY CAN’T BE CALLED TEACHERS EITHER) CONTINUE TO THINK THIS WAY OUR KIDS ARE DOOMED b/c the first time they come up against something that they don’t know how to handle the kids won’t know what to do and freak out!

6. Big Dick Brannigan

September 23, 2017 at 12:16 am

I would withdraw my child from “its,” class. I can use what ever preferred pronoun I like, too. There is no “Mixx.” I will not call a he, she her or him as they, them. If He or she has a sex confusion, I will refer to that person as , “IT.”

7. Richard Misel Jr

September 23, 2017 at 12:16 am

That communist libtird bitch MUST be fired. She IS pushing an agenda.! The agenda is to destroy the American family and socical structure.! That communist is operating strat from Karl Marx’s book and the globalists plane.!

8. robert g bernardini

September 23, 2017 at 12:40 am

Fire her and whomever hired her turn the parents into social services Leave the friggen kids alone this country is turning into a fat whiny crybabies . That have no reasonable skills except gaming systems and updating there FakeBook pages . There will be no real men left to continue to do the back breaking work the Trade jobs there spineless weasels that want everything for nothing can’t accept an ounce of criticism . You say Boo to them and they want to tear down your home . Time to nut up grow a pair you skinny jean patsies and you green haired slobs that no one wants to breed with . Pick up the Bible your going down the wrong path .

9. Joseph Smith

September 23, 2017 at 12:48 am

I find it hilarious that the Principle says he SUPPORTS her preference as he refers to her in VERY female specific terms.

10. bee shepard

September 23, 2017 at 2:01 am

I would transfer my child to a private school quickly! This is totally unacceptable and ridiculous. You pay school taxes for your child to learn, read, write and get to a point in life to learn on your own plus be a productive citizen in life which would mean continue on a higher education to be successful. This principle and teacher should be fired immediately!

11. Jerry

September 23, 2017 at 3:28 am

I do not care what someone wishes to call himself, herself, or itself. However, unquestionably, “they,” “them,” and “their” are PLURAL pronouns. These pronouns should NOT be used in the singular. It is true that most persons do not make this distinction, and the use of the plural pronouns to refer to individual persons is widespread. But as a university English coordinator, I vigorously maintain that it is important for us to teach our students to speak and write correctly. While it is true that language adapts, I will not accept the adaptation of plural pronouns to refer to singular persons. Old-fashioned perhaps? I confess–guilty.

12. Pingback: Gender-Neutral Teacher Divides Parents After Requesting Fifth-Graders Use Preferred Pronouns – Conservative Politics

13. paulette

September 23, 2017 at 11:55 pm

THIS IS A MENTAL DISORDER PROVED BY THE MEDICAL PROFESSION,SHE HE SHOULD FIND ANOTHER PROFESSION INSTEAD OF TRYING TO CONFUSE AND BRAINWASH NORMAL KIDS,HE SHE KNOWS DAM WELL KIDS WILL ASK QUESTION GET CURIOUS AND THE NEXT THING EXPERIMENT TO SEE WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT,PARENTS WHO ARE OK WITH THIS ARE DEFENDING A MENTAL DISORDER THAT SHOULD BE HELPED NOT CONDONED AND OR CELEBRATED