The Dallas Cowboys briefly kneeled before the national anthem ahead of their Monday night game against the Arizona Cardinals, capping off a weekend that saw more than 200 players kneel or sit during the anthem itself.

Both teams had discussed with each other what they had planned to do for the opening of Monday’s game, according to ESPN commentators at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., on Monday. What they agreed to do was an individual sign of solidarity.

The Cowboys, often referred to as “America’s Team,” along with owner Jerry Jones, stood in the middle of the field before the anthem was sung and locked arms — then took a quick knee before going back to the sidelines. Boos could be heard in the Arizona crowd.

Then, the Cardinals stood with their arms locked as well, but in the end zone, as a field-length American flag was unfurled. An announcer urged fans to lock arms with those seated next to them, “no matter the color of their jersey.”

Singer Jordin Sparks then sang “The Star-Spangled Banner” to the cheering crowd. Both teams stood with arms locked for the duration of the national anthem.

Typically, ESPN does not televise the national anthem on Monday Night Football programming — but the events of the weekend brought the anthem in sharp focus.

More than 200 NFL players made some form of gesture at games on Sunday — many kneeling or sitting on the bench — in reaction to comments and tweets by Trump, who called on team owners to fire players who followed former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s lead by kneeling during the national anthem. Some owners locked arms with players.

Trump’s unprompted raising of this issue began with a speech Friday night in Alabama, where he told a crowd of supporters, “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he’s fired, he’s fired.”

He then followed up with a series of inflammatory tweets over the weekend and into Monday, even drawing other sports such as the NBA and NASCAR into the fray.

Kaepernick, who no longer has a job with any NFL team, began kneeling during the anthem in the preseason a year ago to make a statement about social inequality and police treatment of blacks in the United States.

A handful of players had carried on what Kaepernick started; a half-dozen engaged in some form of protest last week.

“It certainly is our hope that people stand during the national anthem, but we also respect their right to make a personal statement or expression of their personal beliefs,” NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said in a conference call with reporters on Monday.

“In the first couple weeks of this year, it was a handful of people expressing themselves. We defended their right to do that,” Lockhart said. “There were a whole lot of people this weekend doing that, and the only thing that has changed was some comments from someone who lives in Washington.”

1. sarita

September 26, 2017 at 2:05 am

Destroy the NFL. Traitors need to leave. This is shocking to me. Millionaires pretending that Democrats still are keeping them in slavery. This is a joke on all of us. They need to move to Muslim countries, or better, to Africa. Do not watch them.

2. Larry Robertson

September 26, 2017 at 2:05 am

Let the NFL keep screwing up ………… owners are going to pay a big price in money before it is over ………

3. Ann Whitfield

September 26, 2017 at 2:09 am

It’s your nickel, Jones. If you don’t care if your players protest when they’re supposed to be working, that’s your business. You had me changed to a cowboy fan after your comments this morning but now……your unity of both sides having equal time is rather a cop out so I’m back to ….fan…..not so much.

4. Patricia Bancroft

September 26, 2017 at 2:10 am

You coaches need to remember who also pays your salaries..It was disrespectful and that is what we are all pissed about..I bet all the soldiers really appreciated that ..

5. Judith A Azcarate

September 26, 2017 at 2:11 am

I am proud to be a Cardinal’s fan… GO BIG RED

6. Kimberly Brokaw

September 26, 2017 at 2:13 am

A REAL man kneels to no one or thing except God. Kneeling makes you appear subserviant. There are no heroes in the NFL

7. Sal belardo

September 26, 2017 at 2:20 am

Let’s see who wins this chicken fight! When they lose enough money then they will suffer the consequences! Fuck all players and teams that don’t stand for our flag! Death to the NFL!

8. Martha Castillo

September 26, 2017 at 2:20 am

I say let the athletes protest! But they should protest by NOT accepting getting paid! They should reject the all mighty American made dollar and refuse to accept it till their demands are met! They should put their protest where their bank accounts are! That would prove how serious and committed they really are to the cause.

9. Korean

September 26, 2017 at 2:20 am

Jerry Kept is word. he did not disrespect the flag or our country.

10. Walter

September 26, 2017 at 2:24 am

They locked arms. Why? So they can’t place their hands over their hearts? Hey! That’s ok, I never have liked fooball anyway. It’s a boring game.

11. jlm

September 26, 2017 at 2:25 am

Jerry Jones caved….. sad… his money being wasted… NO FAN..

12. billy miller

September 26, 2017 at 2:26 am

FUCK THE N F L.

13. Pingback: Jerry Jones Has Strong Opinions About Kneeling for the Anthem. Tonight, the Cowboys Stunned the World – Conservative Politics

14. CelticCat2015

September 26, 2017 at 2:32 am

The NFL can go to H*LL!

15. Bobbie Hammond

September 26, 2017 at 2:37 am

Done, they won’t have MY support and see friends burning their tickets and jerseys!!

16. WILLIAM

September 26, 2017 at 2:39 am

from here on out, NFL can go to hell on this TV !!!

17. Linda

September 26, 2017 at 2:58 am

I was encouraged with owner Jerry Jones comment this morning now I see he’s really a middle of the road weakling like the NFLPlayers.All sponsors fire those that kneel. People don’t buy or support that company til they do something about it. Get over the slavery crap most don’t even know history can’t speak English . Why is it the pictures from the recent hurricane showed all blacks stealing and looting from the stores. Can’t they get a job instead of feeling entitled to everything. We work for what we have . If you want children RAISE them stop peddling drugs . I plan to watch president Trumps rallies instead . I love him he’s my kind of person at least you know what he’s thinking. Straight to the punch .

18. Bill Moore

September 26, 2017 at 3:08 am

The above article is semi-fake news! They have twisted what happened. The Cowboys kneeled BEFORE the National Anthem to show unity of their team, but BEFORE the National Anthem was even started, they had moved back to the sideline and ALL OF THEM stood arm to arm……so what’s wrong with that?! I don’t at all condone what happened on Sunday, but if anyone did it right and still honored the anthem and the flag, it was the Cowboys….and the Cardinals. So here is a prime example of some liberal or media type “twisting” the title and article to give a somewhat false narrative.

19. waytogo

September 26, 2017 at 3:22 am

Well when I first read this article I thought that they would say they locked arms in the middle of the field to show solidarity and then on the sideline they stood for the National Anthem with their hands on their heart, but NO the kneeled and locked arms again. I am finished with all of this. Like another reply I was happy with what Jones had said but now they can go and all kneel wherever they want. I know I wouldn’t be able to bring my politics to my job or I really would get fired. But these little butterflies that make a million want to and now the whole NFL wants to put up with it and not only that ask the fans that were there to watch the game to do the same, that is pretty ballsy. I hope you all lose your cushy jobs. NFL and NBA are over for me and most of my friends.

20. Angie

September 26, 2017 at 3:44 am

I am stunned. The NFL does not understand that Dr. Martin Luther King “took a knee” in prayer to protest civil rights, not to protest the American flag. How did they get it so wrong? When Jerry Jones locks arms and takes a knee, that is the ultimate show of disrespect, I don’t care if it was just for a minute, they have missed the whole point.

21. Jewel Warner

September 26, 2017 at 3:48 am

They look like such upstanding Americans! What a shameful bunch of cowards

22. Phyllis Virga

September 26, 2017 at 3:56 am

All you athletes were raised with the American flag and the anthem as kids during all sports, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PROTESTING AGAINST that you have to disrespect our Flag, country and veterans. Can’t you protest another way and not at your work place, anyone who did that at work would be fired and so should you. A bunch of over paid athletes that play with a ball for a job, no brainer. GROW UP! Is this what your teaching your children? I feel sorry for them. GOD BLESS AMERICA ❤️❤️❤️

23. Randy

September 26, 2017 at 3:57 am

Jerry Jones is a damn lair, he said before all his players would stand for the National Anthem and now he says they all can kneel. Well there goes another football team. Maybe the will be join the three others teams that won’t play for the next three week and lose. THE right to play in the playoffs!!!

24. Steve Gaebelein

September 26, 2017 at 8:58 am

I am truly disappointed in the NFL. If you want to watch a good game, watch a high school game or a college game. I’m done with the NFL.

25. Darlene rosenstiel

September 26, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I am done with football yes i can live without it.boycott

26. kabowings

September 26, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I am so disappointed that hateful actions against our flag are tolerated. I am appalled.

27. jackie george

September 26, 2017 at 3:23 pm

jerry jones is a traitor 15 min of publicity is not just cause for u to do what u did kneeling against the american flag you dishonor our american soldiers n american flag n anthem politics dont belong on the field hope every company who supports u in advertising n sports clothes walks away from u the american people have had enough no more nfl watching at at all you are a bigot jerry we dont want u or your team

28. Gale

September 26, 2017 at 5:51 pm

I had a life before there was pro football on television. I will go back to that. Let the big shots play with themselves.

29. rebecca l sellers

September 27, 2017 at 12:55 pm

The cowboys and it’sowners are a bunch of p——! and anyonewho buys tickets tothat self serving NFL are just as bad as those spoiled brat players!

30. Robert Stahlmann

September 28, 2017 at 12:51 am

well now i am no longer a cowboy fan after what i just saw. i have been a fan since 1969. all done.