President Donald Trump started off the political firestorm last Friday when he harshly condemned those who kneel for the national anthem. Trump’s comment led to mass protests throughout the NFL this weekend.

The protests of the national anthem have also now bled into other sports. Both Major League Baseball and the NHL have seen anthem protests as a response to Trump.

The protest has also reached the NBA and some of its superstar players. One of those players is Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James, who gave a lengthy press conference Monday about his feelings toward Trump.

James was saddened by Trump’s use of the office to critique the sports world and was offended, calling the president a “bum” on Twitter, USA Today reported.

However, one of the most interesting responses James gave was to a question about his fan base.

A reporter asked how he could criticize Trump when Ohio, his home state and the location of his current team, voted to help put Trump into office. James’s response to the question is being seen by some as deeply disrespectful.

James took the opportunity to seemingly attack the “education” of Trump voters, calling some “uneducated” and claiming they did not understand “what’s actually going on in the state of the world right now.” The comments were rambling, so we have transcribed the full answer below (emphasis added):

“I don’t think a lot of people was educated. And I think that’s one of the biggest problems that we have when it becomes vote time. People are just not educated, on either the individual or what’s actually going on in the state of the world right now. Not that particular state, but the state of the world.

I don’t think a lot of people are educated, and they make choices and say things that’s uneducated. Am I saying that the people of Ohio wasn’t educated? Am I saying that some of the other states that voted for [Trump] was uneducated? They could have been, or they could not have been. But that doesn’t mean it was the right choice.”

The comments have created a firestorm for James, particularly with his fan base in Ohio.

Writing on the comments at Hot Air, Allahpundit comes in pretty hot.

To cleanse the palate, I think he means “education” in terms of civic education, i.e. familiarity with policy and the candidates’ backgrounds, not grade-level achieved. It’d be weird if he didn’t since James himself famously skipped college after being drafted number one out of high school. Still, how often do you get to watch a mega-star athlete call the voters of his home state ignorant? This’ll be an interesting test to see if there’s anything Ohio’s favorite son can say or do to piss off his fans. Besides committing to play for another team at the end of a one-hour special devoted to his free agency, I mean.

Ouch.

Watch the video below.

1. Pingback: LeBron James Has a Theory on Why People Voted for Trump. Trump Voters Are Going to Be Pissed – Conservative Politics

2. sarita

September 27, 2017 at 12:50 am

Illiterate anti-Americans like Lebron James comes to mind as one reason why I voted for Trump!

• Linda

September 27, 2017 at 1:52 am

So true. That asshole can’t even speak English and he’s commenting on other’s being uneducated

• Rick

September 27, 2017 at 2:28 am

Thank God Lebron James was blessed playing basketball. English is definitely not his forte. Honestly, there is no excuse regardless of his income and basketball skills for a grown man, who is an idol for so many kids to speak so poorly. When I read this, all I could think was Dexter Manley.

• judi jj

September 27, 2017 at 3:24 am

I agree he’s just a scumbag running his mouth again. He needs an education he’s just an ignorant thug looking for attention.

• Cesar EVANGELSTA

September 27, 2017 at 4:28 am

Thank you. Exactly my thought

3. Sal belardo

September 27, 2017 at 12:51 am

Like I have said before! We are all born ignorant and a bunch of people work hard to stay stupid! Liberals are the real enemies of America!

4. lynnej johnson

September 27, 2017 at 12:52 am

He’s a real work of art. The dumbest thing we did was give his mother welfare checks & government provided,food stamps from this state! He’s a worthless,nothing who can bounce a ball…whoo freakin’ hoo!

5. Fannie

September 27, 2017 at 12:53 am

I think James needs to be a little more careful when he speaks of un-educated people. He, himself, does not sound like the sharpest tack on the board. I have always admired him as a player but for him to more or less assume I am un-educated is ridiculous. I voted for Trump, not because he is white, but because I feel he is the best for the job. I have not changed my mind. I think he is finding the swamp is much bigger and deeper than even he thought it was. I look forward to the day when the swamp is drained.

• Melissa Elkins

September 27, 2017 at 1:17 am

Well I finally felt the need to pray and ask God what to do since all the nominees seemed ominous. My impression from the spirit of revelation was this. “God picks imperfect men to do his work. No Trump may not have seemed the most presidential but he will learn the ropes and become instrumental in saving this country just as Abe Lincoln did” (way back in the day). I was even tutored as to why Trump had said derogatory things about women which I do not condone but everyone has their PTSD issues and I mean everyone. I believe Trump loves this country and I believe he also loves people, all of them but not all people will have our well being as their priority because everyone has been been brought up differently than others and there truly are those others whose belief systems are in direct violation of what is best for the majority of human beings. Those people have an evil agenda (may not seem evil to them but is nevertheless evil) and it is not the best thing for America. It will make America a sick 3rd world country with no promise.

I can tell you this, I trust a man who is openly not perfect a lot more than I trust one who is so eloquent and charming and charismatic and perfect acting and can hold you spell bound, and feed you bull shit disguised as Cake. Some wolves in sheeps clothing have done much harm to America and who knows how long it has been going on.

• Cesar EVANGELSTA

September 27, 2017 at 4:30 am

Thank You.. I could not say it any better than yours.

6. Jack Gerson

September 27, 2017 at 12:53 am

I hope he is not using himself as the “educated ppl” He acts like a bully and a thug sometimes on the court. PPL in gass houses buddy.

7. Michael J

September 27, 2017 at 12:53 am

James only has a high school education so based on education he should shut the heck up!

8. Darrell

September 27, 2017 at 12:54 am

Get Over Yourself Lebron!!!!!!

9. Rom

September 27, 2017 at 12:54 am

I don’t listen to Lebron the Moron!!

10. grandmommak

September 27, 2017 at 12:57 am

Obama divided us, Trump brings us together to stand tall and proud of the US. Trump was voted in by the American people. Trump represents us. Remember when you diss Trump you are dissing the America people.

11. Phyllis White

September 27, 2017 at 12:58 am

He thinks he has all the answers. The protests were happening before President Trump came out saying how he felt. And, it’s insulting to say that a lot of the people that voted for President Trump were uneducated. Really?

• Cesar EVANGELSTA

September 27, 2017 at 4:33 am

My thoughts absolutely..

12. Barbara

September 27, 2017 at 12:58 am

A moronic ingrate

13. bluewren

September 27, 2017 at 1:01 am

Incredible statement Ok Trump was never my hero but I am learning to acknowledge he is not so bad and is proving to be better than any other politician and more than I thought .Just wish he would stop scaring the bejesus out of us all by talking straight to morons like the leader of North Korea.I hear it was Obama who sanctioned them going Nuclear.So what was wrong with Obama?ok enough said.

14. Raymond Bernal

September 27, 2017 at 1:05 am

F*** you LeBron.

15. paulette

September 27, 2017 at 1:06 am

Haha talking about being uneducated when he cant ever speak well,ugh

16. Elisabet

September 27, 2017 at 1:15 am

I hope he doesn’t become a spokesman for education, rather a poster boy for the uneducated.

17. Perry Utanis

September 27, 2017 at 1:25 am

Lebron James, Stephen Curry, Grant and NFL who kneel during Anthem are the pillar of fire,!!! arrogant, anti-American a mile long piles of idiots.

• Robert Kuhlmann

September 27, 2017 at 2:27 am

What a stupid ignorant person. He sure thinks he’s a smart person. Think again Lebron

• Brian K Barbee

September 27, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Well,
      as far as education goes- Mr. James needs to attend a vocabulary course himself ! Damn – I have grand children who can speak better than him !!

18. Jan

September 27, 2017 at 1:34 am

Are you educated? Some of your grammar is not! I voted for Trump and have 4 degrees…how many degrees do you have Lebron?

19. Alicia

September 27, 2017 at 1:35 am

I had never heard him speak before and I wish I never did. So disappiointed. Kids make sure you stay in school so you don’t end up speaking like him. Sports+education = the real deal

20. Alicia

September 27, 2017 at 1:36 am

And taking down his poster from my son’s room. Don’t want him looking up to someone like him

21. Thomas Bristol

September 27, 2017 at 1:50 am

Oh, and you with your high school education can tell everyone they are uneducated. Com’n man!

22. Korean

September 27, 2017 at 2:11 am

You hear this moron speak? He barely graduated HS. The guy is a borderline retard.

23. Rebecca

September 27, 2017 at 2:20 am

Lebron you can kiss my ass… HOw dare u disrespect your fellow men & women. And those who have served for your big ass hat head to talk crap on your neighbors. YOU SHOULD TAKE A LONG LOOK IN THE MIRROR YOUR THE ONE UNEDUCATED!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Fay Engel

September 27, 2017 at 2:24 am

I am very much educated. I wasn’t going to put crooked Hillary in the White. The ones who wanted her in the White House as very much uneducated.

25. BRET CAMPOS

September 27, 2017 at 7:35 am

Man… he certainly shouldn’t speak about anyone being uneducated.This is proof that these spoiled athletes are handed a diploma merely for their athletic ability.

26. Eveline

September 27, 2017 at 7:58 am

His own comments are proof that he has very little education. He should stick to playing ball. He has no authority to evaluate the level of education of his Statesmen nor that of the President of the United States. The media sinks low in giving voice to unqualified public personalities. As the President of France, Emmanuel Macron said in his recent visit to the UN: “Democracy is not determined in the streets but in the polls”. The world is watching America, they count on the USA to be a leader for World Peace and they are relieved that America now has a President that is strong and straightforward. I am American and live in Europe since a long time. There is no way that the media in any country in the world would do what the American Mainstream Media is trying to do to President Trump. It is disgraceful and people here believe that the normal American is simply stupid and crazy. Thanks to MSM, shame on you!

27. Sarah

September 27, 2017 at 9:59 am

He sure sounds uneducated

28. SONNY

September 27, 2017 at 1:55 pm

YOU ARE AN OVERPAID IDIOT!

29. Larry Carl Campbell

September 27, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Wow! Never thought I could put IGNORANT, multi-millionaire,& SUPERSTAR all in the same sentence! Maybe the second word should be eliminated..

30. Ruth Pierson

September 27, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Wow how quickly they forget where all of their privileges came from, not to mention all of their money (lots of money) Those soldiers that fought for their right to all of those things was done so defending the flag. How dare one of those ingrates disrespect this flag. Leave the country and don’t come back

31. Randall L Byler

September 27, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Lebron, you’re just a basketball player, all you have is your opinion and yours alone. You have no special insight or knowledge on this subject than anyone else. Stick to your declining basketball skills and shut up!!!!

32. Gary Tash

September 27, 2017 at 7:32 pm

LeBron needs to go to college and learn proper English. His poor English illustrates his illiteracy..He always reverts back to his Thug way of speaking..

33. Craig

September 27, 2017 at 11:18 pm

It is better to keep your pie hole shut and have people suspect that you’re an illiterate liberal B-Ball bouncing moron than to open that stupidity spewing maw and remove all doubt

34. keren

September 28, 2017 at 12:38 am

NFL Football players….. salaries in the millions and all they do is chase a ball
    Average Salaries……
    MILITARY protect and defend ALL Americans
    Rank after 6 yrs……
    Private $19,198.80 to Staff Sergeant $37,166.40
    Reserves Private $3,359.79 to staff Sergeant $6,504.12
    POLICE
    $74,300 for detectives and criminal investigators
    $55,270 for police and sheriff’s patrol officers
    $55,210 for transit and railroad police
    $48,070 for fish and game wardens
    And the NFL is accomplishing what????
    Here’s the best of all, Kaepernick has never voted and is not registered in any state.

35. Rita

September 28, 2017 at 2:20 am

LeBron, you should have gone to school to get the education you obviousley need. You sound better with your mouth shut! Go back to school, study and learn, then hopefully you will know what “uneducated’ really means. Sorry, you may be a great player, but you made a fool of yourself with your speech.

36. Ron Conley

September 29, 2017 at 12:57 am

what an ignorant dumb-ass!! He can hardly say crap with a mouth full!!