NFL Eagles Owner Issues Plea to National Anthem Protesters That Is Both Eloquent and Powerful

Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie issued a plea to NFL players ahead of Sunday that looks to see an unprecedented number of protesters.

ESPN’s NFL expert Adam Schefter highlight Lurie’s eloquent and powerful statement:

The statement reads:

“The best of us lend our compassion and determination to the aid of others.

Every day I see the genuine dedication and hard work of our players. And I support them as they take their courage, character and commitment into our communities to make them better or to call attention to injustice.

Having spoken to our players, I can attest to the great respect they have for the national anthem and all it represents. We at the Philadelphia Eagles firmly believe that in this difficult time of division and conflict, it is more important than ever for football to be a great unifier.”

At least 75 players will protest racial injustice during the national anthem of NFL pregames, according to social activist Shaun King.

The nation will be watching to see if NFL players and owners engage in more protests, or if they will heed Lurie’s advice and keep the national anthem and football the great unifying institutions that Americans have come to know and revere.

1. Rogelio Escobedo

September 24, 2017 at 6:26 pm

IN MY OPINION: THE EAGLES OWNER-ANOTHER BLIND TRUMP SUPPORTER IN DENIAL? —SHEFTER THINKS THAT THE NATIONAL ANTHEM STANDS FOR RACISM!—WHAT A JOKE! EVEN WORSE-TRUMP IS PUSHING TOWARD A HITLER TYPE FASCISM! —SEMPER FI!

• billy miller

September 24, 2017 at 6:28 pm

BULL SHIT.

• Bernard garrett

September 24, 2017 at 6:34 pm

With a name like yours it is obvious you are not American so go back to the hell hole you came from, you are not welcome here.

• frank

September 24, 2017 at 8:45 pm

exactly

• Brock

September 24, 2017 at 7:15 pm

I don’t care about your opinion. ……….

• paulette

September 24, 2017 at 7:47 pm

@ROGELIO,WHAT A MORON,THIS NEVER STARTED BECAUSE OF TRUMP,IGNORANT TWIT

• Jose Martinez

September 24, 2017 at 8:00 pm

You are a complete ASSHOLE. You have no idea what the National Anthem means. They don’t have one in Mexico that anybody believes in. Go to Mexico you will be more comfortable there and we will be as well. BUILD THE WALL BUILD THE WALL

• J.Dempsey

September 24, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Stand for the anthem or leave the country. No discussions no debates, stand or get out.

• Matt chutjian

September 24, 2017 at 9:16 pm

As a retired marine, you’re way past ptsd marine. We salute the rank, officers standards and colors uncased. Inside every liberal, there’s an American dying to get out.

• Mary

September 24, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Rogelio, do you even know what Fascism is? The radical left is promoting Hitler-type Fascism, not Trump. Pay attention!!! Haven’t you noticed how they try to block free speech and do it with violence. The professors at Berkely are producing a generation of Fascists. God help this nation.

2. kathleen

September 24, 2017 at 6:27 pm

As Long as they get they’re way… They turn everything around to suit their own wants… They are helping to divide the country…But want us to bite the dirt again….We’ve done that to long as it is…I guess these owners are allowing this….Ya, lets poke America in the eye today…..

3. billy miller

September 24, 2017 at 6:27 pm

BE LEAVE ME, IT IS NOT THE COLLAR OF YOUR SKIN, IT IS THE WAY YOU ACT & CARRY ON, ACT LIKE CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS, YOUR LOAD, SOME OF YOU SMELL VERY BAD, WHO WANTS TO BE AROUND A BUNCH IF JIVE ASS JETTER BUGS, BLACKS HAVE NO RESPECT, WHO WANT TO BE AROUND THAT KID OF BEHAVIOUR?

4. Sean Brady

September 24, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I won’t be attending, watching or any way supporting the NFL. When any sport or institution refuses to support our dear country, I don’t support that sport or institution. I hope many others support our President and will withdraw their support from the NFL for the very reasons that these men who play this sport do not support our country. I no longer support the Golden Support Warriors. That is my position. I feel that is the position of many others in this country. We won’t hurt you. We just support you any more. Such fools!

5. gloria m robinson

September 24, 2017 at 6:33 pm

THESE PLAYERS ARE DOING EXACTLY WHAT THE ENEMY WANTS THEM TO DO. mAKE A DIVIDE BETWEEN THE aMERICAN CITIZENS, IT WEAKENS US. dO NOT BE SURPRISED IF YOU WAKE UP SOME MORNING UNDER ATTACK!! iN TIMES LIKE THIS, WE SHOULD BE COMING TOGETHER, SUPPORTING EACH OTHER, NOT BASHING, NAME CALLING AND MOST OF ALL DISRESPECTING OUR FLAG AND COUNTRY.

6. james cogar

September 24, 2017 at 6:36 pm

mr.rooney ive been a steeler fan longer than you been alive.iam a former marine serving in vietnam and a former P.O.W.of that war. and sir what your players is doing makes my gut turn it.s very upsetting to watch people disrespect our country.so with that being said. i wont be watching you people anymore.and that includes the whole NFL.and all my friends feel the same way.and belive me i have alot of friends and were going to facebook also. so see ya .

7. Joe Thompson

September 24, 2017 at 6:41 pm

If your players have such “great respect for the National Anthem”, why do they feel the need to disrespect it on game day in front of millions. Your comment is nothing but bullshit. Not going to change a thing, still not going to watch. You, the NFL and NBA are going down! Americans speak. We want to watch Americans play, not anti-Americans.

8. Mike P

September 24, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Used to be avid football fan. I love my country more than I’ll ever love football. Haven’t and won’t be watching NFL. The shame is, I believe there are a lot of players that do stand and do love this country. Except for a few, speaking out, where are the rest. I think if more players spoke against the kneeling nonsense, it would go away. As for the owners, these players are disrespecting our country while wearing your uniform. If I did that my company would fire me. The owners should grow a set and do the same.

9. Barbara Wilson

September 24, 2017 at 7:43 pm

It is a shame when a corporation such as the Eagles turn a sports arena into a protest. Misguided at best is all I excuse their behaviour for. If they want to protest by all means do it, if you want your players to take part and dress as if they were playing so be it…..but please tell me how getting on your knee will really change anything…seriously. You’re a bright and enormously wealthy individual, surely you can come up with a better plan. And you can tell me how much you respect our flag all day long but actions speak louder than words. And if your team feels so oppressed by whatever……then really do something off the field to make me believe them.

10. Slappy

September 24, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Black racism affirmative action issued by Leftist Liberals like Lorie who really hate their fans, allowed helmet billet injuries for 20 years, permanently injuring thousands, so we have brain damaged million aires who hate their fans. Black Out, I will not support racism, never by anything from advertisers, nor watch, record if must black out commercials.

11. J.Dempsey

September 24, 2017 at 8:37 pm

12. Fannie

September 24, 2017 at 9:50 pm

It is amazing to me how these supposedly “BIG HE MAN PLAYERS” are doing this because a couple of “ladies” are pushing them. My – oh my – who would of thot it??????????????? “Ladies: that only have Black Power in mind…….It appears they want a Black-White Revolution and want to take my President -Donald Trump down. It appears they are trying to play in George Soro’s hand. It may not be true, but it appears it could be. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck – – – – IT COULD BE A DUCK