Ohio ‘Food Stamp Millionaire’ Found Guilty of Food Stamp, Medicaid Fraud

An Ohio millionaire has been found guilty of welfare fraud in court Friday after he fraudulently collected food stamps and Medicaid benefits.

WKYC reports that a judge convicted Pascal Mahvi, also known as the “Food Stamp Millionaire,” of one fifth-degree felony for fraudulently claiming more than $8,300 worth of food stamps and one misdemeanor charge of fraud for falsifying his application for Medicaid benefits over two years before his arrest.

Mahvi and his attorney declined to comment on the case following Friday’s decision. A judge is expected to sentence Mahvi in four to six weeks.

Prosecutor James Flaiz said he is going to recommend to the judge that Mahvi serves jail time.

“We’re absolutely going to recommend time behind bars,” Flaiz said. “I think people have to understand, if you abuse the system that taxpayers have set up to help the poor, and you defraud that system, there needs to be consequences.”

Prosecutors say Mavhi, 66, faces a maximum sentence of up to 18 months behind bars and could be ordered to pay restitution for any benefits he received.

Mahvi earned his nickname as the “Food Stamp Millionaire” when investigators discovered he had collected welfare benefits despite having millions of dollars in the bank.

Investigators raided his 8,000 square foot home with multiple garages containing sports cars and an in-ground swimming pool for evidence that he committed welfare fraud.

1. Brenda Crawford

September 18, 2017 at 3:55 pm

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF STEALING FROM THE POOR THAT ALREADY NEED THE HELP AND YOU DON’T….WHAT IS WRONG WITH SO MANY PEOPLE TODAY…NO KINDNESS, CARING OR COMPASSION FOR ANYONE BUT ALL CONCERND WITH GETTINGMORE AND MORE FOR THEMELVES…..I JUST DON’T GET IT….

• Joe LeBlanc

September 18, 2017 at 4:10 pm

These types have no shame to feel. Stamp and welfare fraud is very wide spread in the USA. Food stamps is a high fraud scam from all walks. Tax fraud is out of control! Many working under the table and not paying but receiving . I use to show dogs as a sport and the tax fraud in that business is out of control especially with “handlers” and their kennels which charge clients but get paid under the table to allow them to claim a business loss. This guy is ice cream compared to the fraud out there. He go away with for a short time over 8,000 dollars? LOL. that is a joke compared to many out there and what they are getting. I was told by many in the dogs to write off and make bogus claims as miles , hotels and the such. I would not do it. It is stealing any way it is put. Hey i do not like the IRS but it is ripping off the tax payers plain and simple!! I would like to see the IRS investigate the dog show people and they would have a field day!!

2. DIANNE W WALSH

September 18, 2017 at 3:58 pm

LOCK HIM UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY.AND TAKE AWAY HIS HOUSE,CARS SAVINGS AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO PAY BACK THE GOVT. HE IS A CROOK OF THE WORST KIND!!

3. robert g bernardini

September 18, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I would audit this guy in every way shape or form like Lois Lerner and Barry Obama the commander and thief did . Bankrupt him while he is serving time .

4. Alean

September 18, 2017 at 4:12 pm

I think he should have to do his time as a as volunteer to help the pour and donate $1oo. per week + repay money stolen in food stamps & Benefits. Then he won’t feel like crime pays.

5. paulette

September 18, 2017 at 4:18 pm

WOW!!!!!I’M A 60 YEAR OLD DIVORCED DISABLED FEMALE THAT GETS 700 A MONTH,I OWN A MOBILE HOME BUT PAY A LOT RENT ELEC,GAS WHICH ISN’T EVEN ENOUGH TO PAY FOR THAT,I HAD A ROOMMATE FOR 8 YEARS WHO JUST MOVED AND I’M LOOKING AT POSSIBLE HOMELESSNESS AND I READ THIS STORY OF A MILLIONAIRE WHO WAS GETTING WHAT I NEED,NOT WANT BUT WHAT I NEED TO NOT BE ON THE STREETS,THIS REALLY MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH,AND THIS GUY ISN’T THE ONLY MILLIONAIRE WHO HAS DONE THIS.YOUR SUPPOSE TO TAKE FROM THE RICH AND GIVE TO THE POOR NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

• Deb

September 18, 2017 at 5:17 pm

This guy is a disgrace. But the statement of “TAKING FROM THE RICH AND GIVING IT TO THE POOR” Is just as bad.

6. Jack

September 18, 2017 at 4:23 pm

In this country you are innocent until proven guilty. Just maybe he had millions of dollars worth of assets and his assets or businesses lost money for a few years. A lot of business owners draw no paycheck from their business. I have millions of dollars worth of assets and I have had years when I lost as much as $54,000 while working 70 hours per week and while drawing no paycheck. It is difficult for some people to believe this. Let’s say that you are a commercial landlord and your tenants all left or went bankrupt during the bad for business Obama years. Or you have one tenant left out of 12. You still have to pay to support the commercial buildings. Mortgage, taxes, insurance, heat, electricity, water, snowplowing, grass cutting, landscaping, janitorial. You used to be able to borrow money against your buildings until Dodd Frank regulations put a stop to that locally. I can see where this could have happened. I never asked for any government assistance but I can sure see where some people like Pascal would think about it. Also, I am sure that Pascal had paid a considerable amount of taxes to support the system while the real poor have never paid a dime to support our country in their life.

7. steven quinlan

September 18, 2017 at 4:26 pm

If his is guilt and he has over one million dollars, he is guilty of being stupid, and justice
    is served.

8. Bill

September 19, 2017 at 1:25 am

A ‘sad’ testimonial to a person that ‘used’ ( i.e., defrauded ) a system that should be used to assist others. Someone did not check this person’s claims of need. I wonder if a judge will sentence him to the maximum jail time and fine ?